Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-23-2009, 02:45 AM   #1
Pitt Yaris

Drives: Flint Mica Sedan
How to prevent alarm from draining battery?

Everyone says they wouldn't get an alarm or wouldn't bother cause no one pays attention AND because all it does is drain the battery. Is this with any kit, or is this just people's opinions? I wanna get the hornet alarm wondering the toll on the battery.
Pitt Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:25 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Yaris View Post
Everyone says they wouldn't get an alarm or wouldn't bother cause no one pays attention AND because all it does is drain the battery. Is this with any kit, or is this just people's opinions? I wanna get the hornet alarm wondering the toll on the battery.
Check the owner's manual (which you can probably download). Many alarms time-out after a period of time to prevent killing the battery.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
Pitt Yaris

Thanks, I'll look into it. But I mean the only time it's gonna put a drain on the battery is if it's going off? Simply installing one won't affect the battery? And would there be anyway to wire the alarm to the car's horn or a way to ensure no battery loss/failure?
Old 04-23-2009, 01:36 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thanks, I'll look into it. But I mean the only time it's gonna put a drain on the battery is if it's going off? Simply installing one won't affect the battery? And would there be anyway to wire the alarm to the car's horn or a way to ensure no battery loss/failure?
Correct. The time-out I mean is for when the alarm is blasting. If you can't find one with a time-out, another option is to install one of the battery monitoring devices, which "disconnects" the battery before it gets discharged too far.

Like this:

http://www.blackbearsportinggoods.co...2SWSL&click=12
Old 04-23-2009, 01:52 PM   #5
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
alarm drain minimal battery power unless ur not gonna use ur car for a week.. normally i disconnect battery if im going out of town for atleast a week.. just get a pedal lock instead.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:40 PM   #6
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Yeah any parasitic draw from the alarm is minimal. If you dont drive your car for atleast a week you are going to have starting problems when you get back irregardless if you have a alarm or not
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:06 PM   #7
Pitt Yaris

Welp, I guess I've thought about it and second guessed myself enough. Gonna finally purchase the hornet 742t alarm. A question to CTScott and others with experience. If I don't intend to get added things to pop my trunk and such should I just get the 740t kit instead of the 742t. *Remotes are the only different thing.....3 button to 4 button* Advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:40 PM   #8
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
If you dont drive your car for atleast a week you are going to have starting problems when you get back irregardless if you have a alarm or not
that's not true. It'd take more than a month for the battery to drop under 11v. There is no reason to disconnect the battery when leaving for just a week.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:58 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Welp, I guess I've thought about it and second guessed myself enough. Gonna finally purchase the hornet 742t alarm. A question to CTScott and others with experience. If I don't intend to get added things to pop my trunk and such should I just get the 740t kit instead of the 742t. *Remotes are the only different thing.....3 button to 4 button* Advice is greatly appreciated.
In that case, the 740t would be fine. When I install remote starters I usually tie the rear window defroster to one of the outputs, but since the Yaris rear defroster button is latching I didn't bother. On my last two cars the rear defroster was a momentary switch, so you couldn't leave it on for the next start.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:02 PM   #10
Pitt Yaris

Thanks for the help. If you didn't notice I'm cheap and overly cautious as I've been seeking advice on these kits/alarm questions for weeks.