Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-08-2006, 12:45 AM   #1
jay

Drives: 2006 Yaris LE 5dr AT
Rim sizing - what size to get for OE equivalent?

I'm rather clueless when it comes to the rim sizing convention

My mission is to buy a set of standard steel rims for my Yaris, for winter tire use. I'd like to keep things simple, and buy rims identical in size to the OE ones, and mount winter tires in the identical OE size (i.e. 175/65R14).

My problem is I can't seem to figure out how rim sizing works. I looked up the Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel_sizing) but I'm still confused.

All I know for sure is that I need 14" diameter, 4 bolt, 100mm bolt circle rims. I have no idea what the offset or centerbore is. As a related question, does the so-called "multi-fit" rim mean that it won't fit the wheel hub exactly, whereas a clone OEM spec rim does? If so, I'd rather pay the extra CAN$5 per rim to get ones that actually fit the wheel hub (and therefore not put all the load on the lug nuts).

The manual simply lists the wheel size as "14 X 5J". What does the "5" and "J" mean?

I've yanked off the wheel cover and checked for any markings on my existing rims. They have "J 14X5J DOT 9 05 /SDK 1" stamped on them. Is this what I need to make sure to get?
jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 10:13 AM   #2
tmyers82

Drives: Toyota Yaris Hatchback
why not just used dedicated winter tires or get a set of oem rims with winter tires. You don't want to but nice rims to get destroyed in winter by road salts and such. As for size you could go with the 14s you have or go 15s. On a front wheel drive car as small as the yaris the smaller the wheel the better the traction you will get in the snow.
tmyers82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 01:49 AM   #3
jay

This is exactly what I'm trying to do - get a set of winter tires on OE equivalent sized rims (I have the 14" wheels). Nothing fancy.

I'm hoping to get sizing info in order to get proper sized steel wheels, identical in size and fit to OE spec. I could go back to the dealer to get the so-called "genuine Toyota" rims (which are just sourced by a 3rd party anyways), but this is the overpriced option.

I'm particularly curious whether the easily available "multi-fit" wheels simply refer to ones with an oversized centrebore (which would clear various sized hubs, and therefore allow fitting to different cars).
Old 10-09-2006, 12:12 PM   #4
dngz

Drives: black yaris sedan
205/45/16 would fit
dngz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 06:51 PM   #5
hosmer
VVTrouble

Drives: 07 Yaris LB...BS, MT, PP, ABS
Send a message via AIM to hosmer
14x5j just means the rim is 14" high x 5" wide

you could run a 195/65/14 M&S (mud and snow) tire for some decent traction

oh, and most tire sizes read:

175 = tread width
65 = sidewall height
14 = rim size

a 195 tread width is just a bit wider
hosmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:06 PM   #6
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
http://www.eunos.com/tirecalc/

use this website and type in the stock tire versus the one you are thinking of getting and it will tell ya the numbers on the differences.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:12 AM   #7
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay
This is exactly what I'm trying to do - get a set of winter tires on OE equivalent sized rims (I have the 14" wheels). Nothing fancy.

I'm hoping to get sizing info in order to get proper sized steel wheels, identical in size and fit to OE spec. I could go back to the dealer to get the so-called "genuine Toyota" rims (which are just sourced by a 3rd party anyways), but this is the overpriced option.

I'm particularly curious whether the easily available "multi-fit" wheels simply refer to ones with an oversized centrebore (which would clear various sized hubs, and therefore allow fitting to different cars).

multi-fit will likley have a larger centerbore, and posibly multiple lug patterns (although not likely on just steel rims) so it is exactly like you suspect, and will be made to a large size for multiple aplications

i am not sure of the offset of the original rims, but that is the only thing you are missing to get a replica original steel rim.
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 08:02 PM   #8
Yaris-TJ

Drives: Yaris Sedan ST Barcelona Red
According to the tire re-sizing calculator..if you're running stock

185/60 R15,

the best fit for 17' wheel woud be:

215/40 R17 , since there's just a 0.1% of overall diameter difference.

Now here comes the question...

by going with a 215/45 R17, which means a higher sidewall...there will be 3.7% of difference meaning 3.7% slower than stock..

With this said, is it worth going this size to protect the wheels from bumps and potholes??
Yaris-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 11:01 PM   #9
jay

Just to wrap up this thread...

Stock offset is 45mm (same as the Echo, i.e. Yaris V1.0).

For the record, I was wrong re: dealer sourced OE exact-fit steel rims. They are not too expensive at CAN$60/ea, compared to multi-fits at $45 or $50, or so-called "OE styles" at $55 or $60. Personally, I'll just go OE, and stop wasting time on this matter.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:43 AM   #10
RogueYaris

Drives: 2015 Abs Red
Just my $.02:

If you're already spending money on steel rims for winter use, why not spend the slightly extra to put your summer tires on semi-decent rims and use the OEM steel rims for winter? This is what I'll be doing come better weather.

Check out TireRack for kicks to see if there's something cheap you like. Have you ever had non-stock rims before?
RogueYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 10:47 PM   #11
jay

RogueYaris, if you're talking about alloy rims - I've never driven a car with these. My Yaris is the first car I've ever owned. So I am having to learn as I go.

I understand there's a performance, weight, and appearance advantages to be had w/alloys, but I wouldn't call myself a performance-type user. Utilitarian is probably a better term. Maybe there's more to alloys than that, in which case, I'm all ears.

Even cheap 14" alloys seem to go for CAN$100-$150/ea, for my wallet anyways, the price delta is significant. I think it'd make more sense (in my case) to have that money put into a better set of tires.

(BTW, the rim chooser at tirerack.com is pretty cool)
Old 11-19-2006, 10:57 PM   #12
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Jay... I would just go to the local scrap yard and pick up a set of steel wheels off an Echo, i am sure you can get those super cheep
Old 11-20-2006, 03:25 PM   #13
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole

Drives: MY07 Yaris Liftback
dont go wider than 175 for a winter tire. you want a narrow contact patch for winter driving.

think snow shoes, and you want the opposite.
Russelt3hPirate is offline   Reply With Quote