Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-30-2010, 11:55 PM   #1
10Kyaris

Drives: 2009 toyota yaris base
Exclamation noob here.. need help on questions about turbo and engine life

ive looked around the forum ( which im still new to) and i want to know how will a turbo effect the life of my engine??? i can do basic things likes like swap parts no problem and troubleshoot problems with my haynes manual..but my guess is with these small engines, there probally not meant to have too many horsies... ive been told a bolt on turbo is probally the best for me with my average knowledge about cars.. HELP????
10Kyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:10 AM   #2
Freedan

Drives: 2010 Yaris Bayou Blue 3DR Lift
Anything you do to increase performance will come at a price. Increase wear and tear, etc. You have to WANT it bad. Not just a passing fancy. If you aren't ready/willing to commit a lot of TIME and MONEY, then a Turbo isn't right for you.

Sorry if that came out as harsh but I just had to get that out of the way.

Here is a guide from Focus Shift on how he installed his Zage Turbo Kit.
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30375

Read it then decide if you can do the install yourself. Not sure how much a shop will charge to install a Turbo, but I highly doubt it'll be cheap.

And just for the record, I don't have a Turbo or Supercharger. Lack of Funds is my problem.
Freedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:16 AM   #3
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Kyaris View Post
ive looked around the forum ( which im still new to) and i want to know how will a turbo effect the life of my engine??? i can do basic things likes like swap parts no problem and troubleshoot problems with my haynes manual..but my guess is with these small engines, there probally not meant to have too many horsies... ive been told a bolt on turbo is probally the best for me with my average knowledge about cars.. HELP????
How it will affect the life of your engine depends on how hard you push it. If you go low boost, do it right, and baby it, it will still last a long time.

If you push the boost as high as you can, while driving it like you stole it, and you don't take care of it, and don't mod the internals, you will kill your engine very quickly.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
xbgod
Banned

Drives: "Burning It Down GTX2860RS XB"
Oh....boy.. here we go again.

Someone please direct him to a previous Thread or post. Or even better Cali-Yaris, Cdj.... or all three of us; we need to just make a sticky on the do's, dont's and examples of turob building and all the B.S it incompasses.

XBG
xbgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #5
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
:P Ahhhhhh see xbgod I was wondering how many more of these threads you could deal with before you realized its impossible to teach people who want everything just handed to them as if no info existed out there.

Queue up the gif where the cursor goes to click "new thread" and it gets moved to the "search" button.
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
xbgod
Banned

You are so right.

This one does strike me as strange almost as if Trolling.

Two seperate threads on the same thing. Or this guy really is sleeping in a cave.

I know we all like to help but damn, does anybody do a little research anymore?

XBG
Old 10-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #7
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Yeah as the first post appeared in the other forum I already thought it was a troll to begin with, so no need to even respond. Or he may even just be young. (Did you see the kid who posted who is the youngest in the DIY/Service section?! REALLY?! LOL)

I like to help if it is a legit question and its not something that could have been researched easily before hand, like this one, its a basic question thats been beaten to death. And sure someone answered it helpfully, but im sure you understand it will never stop.

Perfect example is on the audi forums theres a warning that says do not ask about this this this and this. But we still get threads like can I use a BOV on my car when we should use Diverter valves. Or is this the best exhaust. Is this the best intake. etc etc etc. Beaten to DEATH 10x over.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:56 PM   #8
xbgod
Banned

In his other thread he said he was a family guy. So the question goes to ponder if he is really clueless about this stuff or is he fishing. Either way I think were all moving on unless he can really pull a rabit out of his ass. And explain......................

XBG
Old 10-01-2010, 12:58 PM   #9
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
I thought I summed it up pretty nice

Quote:
Also – this is an incredibly lengthy and difficult installation. If you’re on the fence about all the work required to pull this off, stop here. You need to WANT this. You need to want this more than the fat nerdy kid wants to lose his v-card by the end of senior prom. Yeah, THAT MUCH. You’re going to get so worn out and sore and get soooo many cuts (my hands are still healing). You’ll get over it though, because I can safely say the end justifies everything. I would say it took me approximately 4 six-hour days to finish the install. Troubleshooting and leak diagnosis made it take a couple days longer.
Not to mention the cost. Final cost w/ exhaust included was about $2700 for me.

And yeah, seriously, google first. We live in the information age... and it's all out there and so readily available.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:05 PM   #10
xbgod
Banned

And thats a WRAP Gentlemen................
Old 10-01-2010, 01:13 PM   #11
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
no, wait I want the last word.

Quote:
I know we all like to help but damn, does anybody do a little research anymore?
Nope.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:27 PM   #12
10Kyaris

Drives: 2009 toyota yaris base
you guys are like world of warcraft geeks... i dont even know what to say..
10Kyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:15 PM   #13
xbgod
Banned

We usually play Dungeons & Dragons "were kinda old-school"

XBG
Old 10-01-2010, 11:24 PM   #14
sleey0

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
D&D. hahahah made me REALLY laugh, Aras.

I'm new school and like to play MW or Battlefield 2.

Not in the Army anymore so I got to get my fix.

Speaking of which, my AR15 hasn't been used in a while. Need to go to the range. Just got an awesome Trijicon ACOG for it:) w00t
"And that goes for any of you, never get put down from someone who gets jealous of you; build it and prove them wrong. There will always be haters and naysayers but those are also the ones who's cars are worth less than my seats."

xbgod - 9/23/2010
sleey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:22 AM   #15
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Kyaris View Post
you guys are like world of warcraft geeks... i dont even know what to say..

In all honesty, I don't think WOW geeks even have time to post on forums that aren't directly related to the game. They're such busy people, props to them.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:10 AM   #16
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Quote:
Speaking of which, my AR15 hasn't been used in a while. Need to go to the range. Just got an awesome Trijicon ACOG for it:) w00t
In all honesty I wasn't expecting sleey0 to have an AR15 as well, let alone one with a $1k-$2k scope on it. And you worry about dropping money on a turbo kit!
Old 10-02-2010, 02:57 AM   #17
sleey0

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Yes, I do worry about dropping money on a turbo kit.

The only reason I worry is because it is my dd.

I can't have any down time because my car is used for business. That is why I am going to have a pro install done.

All of this factors into the total dollar amount.

Shit, if I was gonna do it myself then I would prolly have just pieced together a cheap kit and would troubleshoot. Can't do that.

Was planning on spending a week or so in Buffalo where the shop is to get it right. I mean testing the shit out of it.

So, I do have to be careful.

Besides, I didn't pay no where near what you see at retail for the ACOG:) I am ex-Army and will always love my weapons and am a true believer in home defense. Although, the AR isn't for that - the Benelli is!
"And that goes for any of you, never get put down from someone who gets jealous of you; build it and prove them wrong. There will always be haters and naysayers but those are also the ones who's cars are worth less than my seats."

xbgod - 9/23/2010
sleey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:09 AM   #18
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
I can't have any down time
You will.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote