Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-24-2013, 09:49 PM   #19
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by alby_yaris View Post
that's nice. So let me get this, in the US you learn to drive with automatic cars?
I didn't know that
I don't know anyone who owns a manual transmission car. I think a friend of a friend might have one. Most people recommend that you don't take your drivers exam in a manual either, this guy does a pretty good job explaining why. http://proshift.ca/popups/road_test.html

I took drivers ed in an old Toyota Van and a grand am.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:37 PM   #20
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeh View Post
I don't know anyone who owns a manual transmission car. I think a friend of a friend might have one. Most people recommend that you don't take your drivers exam in a manual either, this guy does a pretty good job explaining why. http://proshift.ca/popups/road_test.html

I took drivers ed in an old Toyota Van and a grand am.
In high school, Driver Training and Driver Ed (in California) were separate...separate registration and times. IIRC, one had to get to a certain point in Driver Ed before starting Driver Training. Kids whose parents were willing to pay for private Driver Training, would start private Driver Training at that earliest possible point. The rest of us waited until summer to take the version offered by the school district. My driver training instructor said "DON'T TAKE THE TEST IN A MANUAL SHIFT CAR" (same as you mentioned). I didn't. I got a 97 out of 100 on the first try. The examiner marked 3 points off for hesitating too long at a stop sign . I think he just didn't want to give me 100 out of 100. I haven't ever had to take the driving part again (many others who = originally licensed in the U.S., and have never let it lapse (and no suspensions ), probably = the same).
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote