Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-21-2007, 01:37 PM   #1
SeriousBlack

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS HB
Amp Recommendation/Tweet Location/Sub Placement

Hey all - first post. Just got my black 5 dr Yaris RS and am planning my audio upgrade. I'll be getting my MB Quart QSD 216's next week for the front. For the time being, I'm leaving the rear speakers but will eventually get some decent quality coaxials. Recommendations on those?

I've been reviewing the tweeter location threads to get some ideas. Any consensus as to optimal location bearing in mind sound quality, environmental (heat/possible rain water) and security issues?

I have a JBL GTO 1200 sub from my previous car as well as a GTO series mono amp. That'll be it for the rear. Thinking of doing a custom MDF deck install w/o the spare tire. It's not my first choice on a sub but I don't want to shell extra coin to replace what's been a solid sub. Any suggestions on installing the MDF deck would be great. I'm particularly concerned about placement of my mono and new (see below) amp. If I placed them on the UNDERside of the rear deck, will I have overheating issues? I'm more concerned about security than show/display.

Finally, given the above install and the fact I'll be keeping the stock head unit, any recommendations on a quality amp to run my QSD's from? I'd like to stay in the $200-300 CAD range for the amp.

Cheers everyone.
SeriousBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:25 PM   #2
SeriousBlack

Thanks for the pic and reply. Any reason you didn't recess them? If you did, would you recommend flat or angle mounting to maintain proper imaging.

I realize my first post fired out about six very general questions. My bad. As far as an amp I'm thinking of the Alpine PDX series. Any particular model that anyone has had experience with, particularly w/good 6.5 comps up front?
Old 05-21-2007, 02:54 PM   #3
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
my friend has the Alpine amp rated at 900W (from what he tells me), and it's powering 3 10" subs pretty nice. and yes, the A-pillar is a good place to place tweeters.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:31 PM   #4
drell42

Drives: Blank
Hey Serious, where abouts in BC are you. In my car I am putting the tweets in the a pillar. Near the bottem, where the indent is. They will be aiming at the opposing seatbelt attach point. This will give me a great center sound stage. I am running a alpine PDX4150 amp and alpine type x components

Rick.
drell42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:01 PM   #5
SeriousBlack

Drell - I'm in Surrey. Not a lot of black 5drs out there. Love mine. Got the Tanabe DF210s installed when I bought the car. Rest is stock. I don't want to over-mod it. I especially want to preserve its low weight and fuel economy. Might get some flat black Motegi Trak Lites in the 15" or 16".

Weight is why I'm kind of stuck on sub options. The GTO 1200 is a monster but I do not want to lose my cargo space or welcome every audio troll into my car.

For the tweets, are you installing in the a-pillar itself? I've seen that install and think it's sweet - especially as they're black in Canada.

I am leaning with the Alpine PDX-2 (2 channel) amp to power my front comps.