Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-20-2011, 07:58 PM   #1
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Micro Image Short Shift Kit- prototype review

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
I am producing our own Micro Image SSK, which will include the extra bracket just like the new TRD one does.

Pricing will be VERY good, awaiting a prototype to test and production is a GO.

Thanks
With Garms blessing, I'm sharing the good news...

It's official, the prototype has been installed.

I installed the new Micro Image SSK on my 07 liftback last night!! With the addition of the bracket the entire short shift system really feels complete. The immediate difference is the smoothness while shifting between gears. This appears to be due to the shifter cables now being free from the tension normally on them when you install the short shifter adapter alone(due to the angle change). I had the NST engine bay SSK, and I noticed during install I had to force the shift cable bushings down onto the adapter stud. With this new bracket there was no resistance, everything set in place like it was made to go together...I wish they were all this easy. Also, for those concerned with weight savings, there seems to be about a 1lb difference between the factory bracket and the lighter MI bracket.
I pulled the battery for this one, it made it easy to install and give the area a little cleaning. I also removed and painted the battery tray as it was getting rusty. Removing the battery keeps you from having to lift the car at all...something to consider if you don't like spending time under a ton of metal laying on your back.

If you're considering a SSK, do it. Even my wife loves the SSK, You should have seen how excited she was when she got home after taking the Yaris to work. "I can shift so fast!" is the first thing she said when she stepped out of the car. I was like

*sorry for the dirty engine, but this car does have 450K+ miles on it. Only 275K(ish) on this engine however...so I guess I'm slacking. I've got a few things going on at the moment, if I forgot something please let me know.

Thanks for looking, and remember to get at Garm for your goodies.

THE GOODS

TOP SHOT OF THE ENGINE BAY

OLD BRACKET VS. NEW BRACKET

OLD BRACKET REMOVED

NEW BRACKET IN (TOP VIEW)

NEW BRACKET IN (FRONT VIEW)

NEW BRACKET + ADAPTER **UPON COMPLETION DON'T FORGET THE ORIGINAL WASHERS GO ON TOP OF THE BUSHINGS, I LEFT THEM OFF FOR THE PICTURE ONLY.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote