Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-28-2011, 09:05 PM   #1
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Is This Head Unit Good?

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...specifications

I'm thinking about trading my Rota Grids for it and a sub.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:37 PM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Nvm, I think I'm going to pass on the trade. The HU is too slow, and I don't want to risk getting in an accident from having to look if it has responded or not. lol
Old 06-28-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
I had a screen in my Sedan, it got old, It's more of a luxury for your passengers than yourself. So i sold it and got a reg deck.

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by _S7V7N_ View Post
I had a screen in my Sedan, it got old, It's more of a luxury for your passengers than yourself. So i sold it and got a reg deck.
Yeah, I have a JVC single DIN right now, which I like. And in reality, I probably won't ever watch a DVD. lol
Old 06-28-2011, 10:46 PM   #5
ChitownY@Ris

Drives: '07 Yaris Sedan
Never gets old for me (Pioneer 5.8"). The hands free calls are a lifesaver for me, I hated holding a phone to my head while driving (not a bluetooth headset fan either, always had to charge it and keep track of it).
And dvd playing while on endless stretches of highway road tripping is a must (which glancing down at in the Yaris is seamless, as you glance in that direction to check the speedo anyway).
Old 06-28-2011, 10:49 PM   #6
Kaotic Lazagna

That Sony headunit does not have BT, so BT calls aren't possible. DVD feature is a nice touch tho, but I still can't get over how slow the touchscreen is. It's slower than the navi head unit on an 8th gen Civic.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:52 PM   #7
Kaotic Lazagna

Oh, and I look at my SGII for my speed, which is right behind my steering wheel. lol
Old 06-28-2011, 11:34 PM   #8
_S7V7N_

I think maybe a WiFi Hotspot in your car would be a better investment, so passengers could watch a movie, (on a laptop ) use there i - Touch, Or hell XBL on a roadtrip ? Can you say
P . I . M . P

Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
Old 06-29-2011, 01:48 AM   #9
Kaotic Lazagna

hahahahahahahaha
Old 06-29-2011, 01:58 AM   #10
ChitownY@Ris

Quote:
I think maybe a WiFi Hotspot in your car would be a better investment, so passengers could watch a movie, (on a laptop ) use there i - Touch, Or hell XBL on a roadtrip ? Can you say
P . I . M . P
Wifi for cars, or CarFi modules start out pricey ($350+), and then you pay a monthly subscription ranging anywhere from $30-$50 (or even more to stream video) for internet usage and I believe they use 3G speeds. All that said, not sure what the point would be since you can do all that on a cell phone.
10 years ago these might have been hot, then again 10 years ago they probably would cost two or three times as much.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:34 AM   #11
_S7V7N_

The same goes for Screens...10 years ago you were the shit if you had a t.v (dvd player ) in your car, you'd turn heads. Now it's yesterdays news..As more and more people start to put in iPads in there vehicles as there main head unit you'll start to see more WiFi in cars. And as that demand starts to grow it'll be a few bucks more than Sirius , XM , or any of the other Satellite monthly charges. Hell they have WiFi in airplanes now, buses will be next then hell Cars !

Old 06-29-2011, 10:36 AM   #12
ChitownY@Ris

Quote:
The same goes for Screens...10 years ago you were the shit if you had a t.v (dvd player ) in your car, you'd turn heads. Now it's yesterdays news..As more and more people start to put in iPads in there vehicles as there main head unit you'll start to see more WiFi in cars. And as that demand starts to grow it'll be a few bucks more than Sirius , XM , or any of the other Satellite monthly charges. Hell they have WiFi in airplanes now, buses will be next then hell Cars !
Ooh..You're killin me smalls. Earlier I saw you mention wifi for ppl to watch movies on a laptop or play xbox..
Now you're talking about custom Ipad installs. Whole different ballgame. I havn't seen this commonly done in anything other than a truck, so I'm not sure how far off we are on a universal kit for most vehicles, much less for small cars like a Yaris. I'd say a couple of years. Right now you're still hard pressed to get a dvd/navi screen as a standard feature out the showroom in any vehicle other than a luxury car. To me that's pretty sad. All cars should have that standard by now, or at least a lot less than roughly $1800 for a dealer install.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:38 PM   #13
_S7V7N_

Hahah i have many reasons on why i kicked my old DVD player out. And the final straw was me getting bored of it.

It would be a waste of money to have a Dvd from the dealer (for me, i bought my Yaris as base as it would come with no radio ) Majority of Factory Radios do not come with the RCA pre outs to push an amp. And even if they did i wouldn't see them pushing more than 1 V out. So 700 bucks + for a radio i'd rip out ina month or so. My Old JVC DVD player would only do 2V also so i got rid of it.

I guess you can say i have a 3.5 inch screen in my car if you count my Ipod Touch = P I can watch movies on it , videos , and when i pull into McD's i even get WiFi Internet. USB ports were an awesome addition to car stereos.

And give it a few months, i bet somebody will come up with a Bezel to install an Ipad in a Yaris...Gotta love Taiwan !

Old 06-29-2011, 04:28 PM   #14
ChitownY@Ris

I feel ya. I'm actually gonna go pick up the video out cable for the iphone
($25), then run it back behind my unit (5.8" Pioneer) and connect it to the RCA inputs. That way I'm hoping to run Youtube songs/videos as well as Netflix from my iphone displayed on my unit.
I'm hoping to have a clean look with no wires by running it out my Yaris aux port near the passenger floor since that is no longer used anyway as the unit now has an aux port in the front.
As for the ipad. LOL. I don't see that being mounted horizontally on a Yaris dashboard. MAYBE vertically? Even then I see the climate controls in the sedan having to be removed in order to make that fit. Then I guess you'd have to figure out how to program the ipad to control your climate...Good luck
Old 06-29-2011, 04:50 PM   #15
_S7V7N_

Does your deck have a USB ? Throw me the model number...You may be able to get a signal to it via USB. If not you'll need video cables and run them to the Input of your Deck...

Old 06-29-2011, 10:13 PM   #16
ChitownY@Ris

AVH-P3200 BT. Has a front usb port, which only charges the iphone 3G (Firmware version 4.1). Even if I try to listen to Pandora, the usb isn't enough, as I have to use the aux cable for that, which connects to the headphone jack on top of the iphone. What's strange is that the usb alone will play music from my old ipod video though, but for my iphone 3G I need to use the headphone jack.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:19 PM   #17
_S7V7N_

I'm going to have to check how mine does. I haven't used it since the last update. So does it at least pick up the Song info ?

Old 06-29-2011, 11:47 PM   #18
ChitownY@Ris

For the iphone 3G, usb will only charge.. Won't play Pandora. For the old ipod video, yes, charges + plays songs and shows info.