Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-16-2013, 12:18 AM   #1
YodaBird

Drives: Gray
Krown - Would you proceed ?

I'm considering getting Krown applied to the car, as I recently went to a Krown Dealer, he told me where he has to put holes, the door side panel, and take out to plastic interior covers to spray inside, of course putting them back on. The car has presently, no rust, which as he said is good, which means Krown will be the most effective.

Would you proceed with the drilling of, what he said approx 2-3 holes, which he said get covered up ? I don't want to see rust spots, not even a tiny one anywhere.
YodaBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
if it is applied annually as they recommend, then just get standard rustproofing (the black material) and it should easily last at least 5 years.
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
roxy1

Drives: 2014 yaris 5 speed
I live in southwest Michigan where we get much more snow than toronto (and we love our salt, too). ive never had rust issues on any car made after 1995, even after 10years. imo, on modern cars rustproofing is a waste of money.
roxy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
I get my cars sprayed annually and its well worth the outlay. That said, I've never got krown (my dad uses them) I go to a local place that does it for $60 cash.

Think another it this way, too: it'll add to resale....I know OT worked when I sold my yaris. If its been sprayed every year or every other year, the car is unlikely to have any rust AND you can say its been done...
Old 09-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #5
YodaBird

thebarber - What is OT ? What I'm being charged is about double what you were charged.

I have seen cars with extremely bad rust, including Yaris, where I work I know co-worker who has a older Yaris, it's black you don't notice the rust, it's there around the wheel rims, she doesn't care too much about rust, that's her. And I've seen some really horrible mini-vans with rust, so bad you could break into the car though the rust holes.

Anyone else opinion on Krown ? We lay down the salt pretty bad in spots in Toronto, I've seen "salt mountains" on the road. No one likes to shovel and "sprinkle" salk, they rather pour salt.

Last edited by YodaBird; 09-16-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:06 AM   #6
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
OT would be Oil Treatment.

I've been Krowned. Is it working? Maybe. I don't have any rust, but unlike you, I've never seen a Yaris exhibiting body cancer. Don't really think I've seen many Echos rusting out either. Only spots I do have are caused by stone chips which Krown, or any rust treatment would prevent.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #7
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
OT was an autocorrect for "it" when my fat fingers hit o

I get a cheaper price because I pay cash and its a small shop that I used to work next to

@weeyari: that blitz supercharged yaris I looked at (teriyumis old car) had rust starting at the rear drivers quarter just above (and I assume below) the side skirt (it was an RS).

For the $100-120 semi annually for krown, I'd do it. My dad has been krowning his cars for years. Its certainly better than one of those electric rust inhibitors. Plus it keeps things lubricated, too
Old 09-17-2013, 09:08 AM   #8
YodaBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
OT was an autocorrect for "it" when my fat fingers hit o

I get a cheaper price because I pay cash and its a small shop that I used to work next to

@weeyari: that blitz supercharged yaris I looked at (teriyumis old car) had rust starting at the rear drivers quarter just above (and I assume below) the side skirt (it was an RS).

For the $100-120 semi annually for krown, I'd do it. My dad has been krowning his cars for years. Its certainly better than one of those electric rust inhibitors. Plus it keeps things lubricated, too
The electronic rust inhibitors was put on the car when we got it, the guy at Krown said, it all depends how he applied it, either alot, or a little, never will know. With all the input, I'm probably going to get it applied, and as you said it keeps things lubricated. If I don't and I go though a winter, I could pop up seeing a little rust spot, then I'll regret it.

My theory is the electronic rusting worked, not too confident it will last two years.

Edit: I decided to go with Krown. Electronic Rust Proofing is a scam, it's only good on bridges and boats, not on cars.

Last edited by YodaBird; 09-21-2013 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Krown is the right direction