Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-08-2010, 10:10 AM   #109
krolos

Drives: 2008 yaris sedan
I am pretty much your average driver,maybe just a bit more on the aggressive
side, I drive some very curvy roads with some very tight curves on a regularly
basis, I find that I have to slow down alot to safely take them, it would be
nice to take them with out slowing down so much.
I like to drive these kind of roads a bit more on the aggressive side,
but not Rally style by any means.
I want to install the sway bar, what do you all think, should I get the
19mm or the 23mm? will the 23mm be to stiff for the regular type of driving?
krolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #110
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
I have the23mm bar and I drive much like you do. IMO it is great for twisty mountain roads and makes navigating them much more enjoyable.

A 23mm bar is also good for a DD IMO as it seems to balance out the suspension from front to rear. It makes freewway type driving much more enjoyable and safer. It makes fast/emergency lane changes much more secure.

True a rear sway bar will appear to stiffen the rear suspension a bit. However, the stock rear it too soft (compared to the front) to begin with. A 23mm bar stiffens the rear suspension just the right amount amount IMO.

I would just add that it you have less that good tires, it will limit the cornering performance. I originally had the less than desireable "Goodyear LS" tires. When I installed and broke in my "Yokohama Avid TRZ" tires, I was finally able to reall enjoy the sway bar's cornering ability.

Personally, I don't feel in the least that a 23mm bar is too stiff.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:36 PM   #111
'LilRedYaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to 'LilRedYaris
The only reason I didn't choose the 23mm was worries that it might do a little too much and make driving difficult/scary in Minnesota winters. The 19mm seems to do an excellent job for me.
'LilRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:01 PM   #112
RedRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LilRedYaris View Post
The only reason I didn't choose the 23mm was worries that it might do a little too much and make driving difficult/scary in Minnesota winters. The 19mm seems to do an excellent job for me.
The 23mm bar was fine in in the last NY winter.
Anyway, either one will be much better than nothing.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:21 PM   #113
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Why would the 23mm be scary in winter? You shouldnt be driving that fast through winter weather anyhow for it to make much of a difference :P
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:54 PM   #114
'LilRedYaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
Why would the 23mm be scary in winter? You shouldnt be driving that fast through winter weather anyhow for it to make much of a difference :P
Obviously. I just figured for me, it would be a bit extreme for daily use and wouldn't be ideal for winter or slick conditions (even going slowly). But, maybe my assumptions were wrong. I'm happy w/ the 19mm though & in the end it's what you're happy with that counts.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:08 PM   #115
RedRide

Quote:
Obviously. I just figured for me, it would be a bit extreme for daily use and wouldn't be ideal for winter or slick conditions (even going slowly). But, maybe my assumptions were wrong. I'm happy w/ the 19mm though & in the end it's what you're happy with that counts.
Yeah, either one is fine.
I just want to dispel the idea that the 23mm bar is somehow less than safe.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:46 PM   #116
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Well, from what I've heard, with the 19, when you get to the edge of adhesion you notice it more, and the car would still have a tendency to understeer. With the 23, and keep in mind this is only "what I've read" it gets to the edge and has more of a tendancy to have the rear let loose? or oversteer. Maybe he was thinking it wa gonna do that in the snow. But seriously if you are pushing it like that in the snow, a swaybar isnt gonna cause or save your butt, your just gonna get what you deserved ya know?
Old 08-09-2010, 11:20 PM   #117
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
I was just razzin you lilred, no problems at all :P

I've had the 19mm Trd bar and now I have the 23mm UR one, I can say that
sick puppy does seem to have it on the money from what I've felt. The 19mm
felt a bit more forgiving, like you could sense it a bit more if it was getting
too out of hand and with the 23mm, you can push it harder but along with that
naturally, you get close to the limit without feeling it, which in turn makes the
threshold that much thinner.
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:05 PM   #118
'LilRedYaris

No worries. :) I can vouch that there's definitely more stability in crosswind situations with the bar. It's stormy here today and the wind was howling on my way home from school. I could tell the Yaris was getting pushed around a bit but, there's a very noticeable difference now. I don't have to keep a tight grip on the wheel & constantly battle the wind anymore. Makes for a much more relaxed driving experience. Why Toyota doesn't install the rear sway bar stock is beyond me. The car's so much more driver friendly after the install. It's a relatively cheap mod to get though anyhow.

I think it actually makes me wanna drive the Yaris more, like even when I don't need to.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:03 PM   #119
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
Why Toyota doesn't install the rear sway bar stock is beyond me.
so it can be a $13000 car, probably. Same with the center console, a tach (until last year), foglights, etc.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:42 PM   #120
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
so it can be a $13000 car, probably. Same with the center console, a tach (until last year), foglights, etc.
Exactly right, Everything Toyota "should have" thrown in as standard drives the cars base price up.
You gotta remember what the car was designed for,versus what we do with it. I really dont think they had trying to pull .9 g's in a corner in mind when they built it (or 12.8 in the 1/4 mile, lol) I personally am happy with what they built and enjoy adding only and exactly what I want as I can afford it.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:15 PM   #121
RedRide

Years ago, Ford admitted that it only cost them about $500 more to build the "Galaxy 500" over the "Pinto".

However, they charged thousands more for the "Galaxy 500.

All auto maufacturers dumb down the entry level cars so they can justfy the high price for the more expensive models.
IMO, this is exactly why they chose not to include a rear sway bar in the yaris and gave it a beam axel.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #122
petyanca

Drives: 09 LB, 3 door, auto
Quote:
Had the Ultra Racing 19mm rear sway bar installed on my sedan today. Huge, huge difference. Luckily, I got to test it fairly thoroughly today too. The Yaris is definitely tighter and surer on the road now. Steering and cornering are almost effortless. All I can say is: "Wow!". Kudos to Garm @ Micro Image for providing great products, customer service & support. Digging my YW T-shirt too.
How does the bar attach to the body ?
petyanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #123
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
It bolts underneath the car in the rear connecting the two perches of your torsion beam and runs along side that torsion beam. It bolts at the same location as the struts.

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #124
petyanca

Drives: 09 LB, 3 door, auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.5 View Post
It bolts underneath the car in the rear connecting the two perches of your torsion beam and runs along side that torsion beam. It bolts at the same location as the struts.
Got it, I didn't realize that beam twists and thought a sway bar should attach to the cab itself. Now where can I get a 23mm sway bar? My yaris is stock and I don't like how it rolls side to side on twisty roads.

Last edited by petyanca; 09-23-2012 at 06:01 PM.
petyanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #125
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.5 View Post
You mean shock
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:08 AM   #126
trdvvti07
Where's my crown?

Drives: 07 self proclaimed TRD Sedan
i need increased g's on jug handle turns

I feel the car twirking beneath me at 70mph around these jug handle turns... Looking for undercarriage ideas to stiffin out