Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-05-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
Jefro22

Drives: 2008 Black 4-Dr Sedan Yaris
Question Weird Staring Problem

Ok.... So i go to start the Yaris that I have. I turn the key to the start position, and it starts to turn over. Funny thing is, when i let go of the key cause i turned it for the normal amount of time to start the car, it continues to try and turn over. sometimes it will start, keep in mind i am no longer turning the key, and sometimes if i push teh gas it will stop turning over. Anyone know whats going on?
Jefro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
Kiteless

Drives: US 2007 Yaris Liftback 5MT
I have had this exact same thing happen to me. What year is yours? I am guessing this is normal and its just the computer trying to start the car on it's own.... or something ...

The last time it happened, the car continued to turn over without my input for over a full second, maybe 2. Well I had the clutch pushed in of course, but that was it. I am also curious if yours is a manual or an auto. Wonder if it's specific to the MT.

- Jason

Kiteless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:42 PM   #3
Jefro22

I have a 2008 yaris and it is auto.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #4
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Drives: 2010 5-Dr
It's normal behavior.

To try it, turn the ignition key even for just half a second. You'll notice that the yaris will try to turn over until the engine actually starts

My Garage.. 'Mild' Drop & Misc..2-DIN GPS/Navi..DIY:Rear Wiper Delay..Ramps/Roll-Ups..Rain Sensing Wipers / Auto-Headlamps
toy_toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:29 PM   #5
Jefro22

That, my fellow yaris owner, is a huge relief to me. Thank you for the information on this matter.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:16 AM   #6
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
People say I have that problem, too.
Especially when boobs are involved.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:05 AM   #7
bankrobber

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
People say I have that problem, too.
Especially when boobs are involved.
Wow...That was funny
bankrobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:17 AM   #8
BluYrs
ヴィッツ ドライバー

Drives: 2006 3d 1.0 Linea Sol
That's not a problem, it's a feature :P

However, I stall every other vehicle I try to start until I remember you actually have to hold the key in the "start" position on other cars...

The blue one
BluYrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #9
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluYrs View Post
That's not a problem, it's a feature :P

However, I stall every other vehicle I try to start until I remember you actually have to hold the key in the "start" position on other cars...
Yep, once you get used to it you wonder how come other cars don't have it (and stall them each time!)

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:32 PM   #10
schume

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB
It's a great "feature" when the engine refuses to start. It's intermittent, but sometimes the engine will crank for 5+ seconds before it finally starts. Real frickin annoying. I was visiting my friend at his house a few weeks ago. Everyone is standing outside when I go to leave. Turn the key and after the engine cranked for about 5 seconds it started. People were like, "what's wrong with your car?" Who knows, it's a 2010 with less than 10k miles. Sometimes it starts like grandma's Dodge Dart...
schume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:57 AM   #11
shanidec19

Drives: 2011 automatic yaris sedan
This doesn't seem like a normal feature for me. I have an 11 automatic sedan and it just started doing the same exact thing. Twist key, take had off, but the sart was delayed for like 3 seconds. Seems to be an ignition problem or the start of the starter going bad.
shanidec19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:05 AM   #12
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Like stated above, it is not a problem but a feature. It is the exact same way a push button start work but in this case you have to turn a key not push a button.

The odd time my Yaris will take an extra second or few to start, I have read that it depends what position then engine stops in as well as other factors. Don't stress about it.

Just get into the habit and not holding the key in the start position and let the car start itself. After a while you'll enjoy it.
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:06 PM   #13
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
About the only down side to it is when you jump into another non-Yaris vehicle that doesn't have that feature, at which point you turn the key and quickly let it go, and it doesn't start...
Old 06-14-2015, 01:43 AM   #14
Mikastef

Drives: Yaris
Guys..do you have the same issue as this guy post?
I have already replied him here :

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45901
Mikastef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:00 AM   #15
shanidec19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Like stated above, it is not a problem but a feature. It is the exact same way a push button start work but in this case you have to turn a key not push a button.

The odd time my Yaris will take an extra second or few to start, I have read that it depends what position then engine stops in as well as other factors. Don't stress about it.

Just get into the habit and not holding the key in the start position and let the car start itself. After a while you'll enjoy it.
If it was a feature it would have done it from the first day I bought it back in 2012. I just hit 71,000 miles. Like I said this JUST started doing it like a month ago. At what point is it not considered a feature, but a problem? When I'm out somewhere and can't get it to start at all?

Thanks for your advice, will keep doing my research.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:00 AM   #16
shanidec19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikastef View Post
Guys..do you have the same issue as this guy post?
I have already replied him here :

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45901
Thanks! Will check it out.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:09 AM   #17
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Why would it not start a all? Has there been problems with it not starting before (excluding a longer crank time)?

Is it possible that you just never realized the feature because you always held the key to the start point until it caught like you need to with most other cars?

I know for myself I didn't realize this feature until I read about it on this forum, who knows how long it would've been until I mistakenly backed the key off the start position but realized that the Yaris still started
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote