Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-26-2009, 03:16 PM   #1
Reeves360

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan, 91 ToyotaTruck
Send a message via AIM to Reeves360 Send a message via MSN to Reeves360 Send a message via Yahoo to Reeves360
Remote Engine Start PT398-33070

I found this remote engine start for a Camry and would like to look into installing it for my 09 Yaris Sedan. I was wondering if anyone else has any information on installing a Toyota OEM or JDM remote start system.

I would like to use my factory alarm remote to control the engine start and stop.

Any tips from installing an aftermarket Remote Engine Start and how that tied into our Yari would be welcomed as well.

Hey CTScott! Will this part number pull up a wiring diagram or installation instructions in the TIS system?

Here is a link to the product and some details.

Remote Engine Start, Hybrid

The VIP Remote Engine Starter allows vehicle owners to start the engine before entering the vehicle—as well as to activate the air conditioner, heater, defroster and defogger functions—so owners can have their vehicle ready and waiting with a comfortable interior temperature. And because it’s fully integrated into the vehicle’s existing factory security/keyless entry system, there’s no need for an additional remote. The remote engine starter is operated by pushing the “lock” button on the keyless entry fob in a quick, three-step sequence: (1) push and release “lock” button; (2) push and release “lock” button again; (3) then push and hold “lock” button for three seconds—and the engine starts. The engine can also be stopped remotely by pushing the “unlock” button once, or by pushing and holding the lock button for two seconds or more.

Please Note: This can be installed in Camry Hybrid with smart key system.
Reeves360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:45 PM   #2
Reeves360

Send a message via AIM to Reeves360 Send a message via MSN to Reeves360 Send a message via Yahoo to Reeves360
Ultra Starters 1155

It looks like the remote start function on other Toyota's is built into the VIP system and is not an add on module that interfaces with it. So I guess I can't use the factory remote start unless I would like to get a different VIP system to work with my Yaris VIP harness.

It looks like this product (linked below) would work with my factory remotes to start my car.

The 1155 "Add On" Remote Starter

I've read that a lot of people don't like the Toyota OEM remote start because after the car is started when you unlock or open the door the car turns off. I would rather any remote start system that I install not do this.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-26-2009, 06:53 PM   #3
Reeves360

I've also seen that some remote starts have a procedure you have to go through in order to set the car and allow for remote starting to work.

An example would be:

1. Put car in neutral
2. Step on break twice
3. Take out key (car should still be running)
4. Close doors within 30 seconds and system will lock and turn off the engine.

I would want to make sure I get that feature as well so that I don't have to mess around with a neutral switch or accidentally get push button rocket car.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:11 PM   #4
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
I installed one of the Viper remote starter systems myself, splice in wiring.
If you have an automatic there is a wire that you *can* hook up to in your Shift lever area that prevents the car from starting unless you are in park.
I have a standard so I just grounded that wire, so I dont have any accidental start protection if I left it in gear. I can probably dig up the diagram I made that shows you where to splice in wires, at least if you got something like mine