Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-18-2019, 12:33 AM   #1
cesturdy

Drives: 2007 toyota yaris sedan
painting the bumper cover/ other car parts

bumper cover came primed. my plan is to use spray cans, and cannot wait as weather will be soon turning cold. i could only find locally a black trim & bumper paint by durocolor that can be used on plastic. The store advisor suggested that i do not need a clear coat for this paint as it already includes a finish, and that a clear coat from a spray-can may not have the flex-additive to take to plastic. Also like your opinion: my car is nautilus metallic blue. Would a black bumper be ok since the rest of the car is dark blue? would the contrast be ok? Since it is an old car (2007) i did not want to pay for an expensive paint job. Will also need to do something about the clear coat peeling off the hood and roof of the car? Do i remove all the clear coat and just reapply the clear coat, or do i need to add paint over the existing, or am i to sand down to the primer before adding paint?
cesturdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 05:57 AM   #2
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
With a metallic paint, you will want to apply the base color before the clearcoat because you would have to sand first and metallics cannot be sanded due to the flake in the paint. Normal spray clearcoat will fail quickly as it has virtually no appreciable UV protection. Look up SprayMax 2K clearcoat and a decent VOC respirator.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:53 PM   #3
cesturdy

Drives: 2007 toyota yaris sedan
my new primed bumper cover fell to the ground before the 2nd layer of base coat dried. To remove the scratches I decided to cover the whole cover with a filler primer. What a mistake. After the filler primer dried, I added another two layers of base coat. As the base coats dried, the filler primer bled through the base coat in a 'fish eye' pattern, worse than the scratches. Please be sure that your primer is compatible with the base paint that you are using. And do not assume. The can of filler primer was for wood, metal, fiberglass, and more. I took a chance thinking the more would include plastic. looks like it does not include plastic. Also the filler primer may have been enamel while the base paint was lacquer. Be certain so that you do not mix the paints and make the same mistake i made.
cesturdy is offline   Reply With Quote