Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-03-2022, 12:13 PM   #1
nikonNUT

Drives: 2010 3 Door L
Accessory drive belt won't fit.

Hey all,
I come again with hat in hand needing some help with a head scratcher. Had my accessory belt break this morning heading home after they cancled work due to weather. Charge light came on, and while I thought it might be slipping, I stopped after it stayed on for a minute or so. Checked and the belt is gone and the engine compartment is full of sleet. No worries.. Thaw everything out and get a new belt. Here's the kicker! It won't fit! I've done 4 or 5 of these so it's not my first rodeo. I even tried a longer belt (49" versus 47") to no avail. What's going on? I have to be doing something wrong but I am clueless! I can't imagine the A/C compressor moved, the crank pully looks fine, and if I bent a water pump pulley enough for a belt not to fit anymore I think I would have ripped it clean off! Any advice is greatly apprecaited! Thank you!

-Chris
Old 02-03-2022, 04:46 PM   #2
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
Hi Chris,

Obvious question, but have you allowed for the Yaris not having an automatic tensioner on the belt? You need to loosen off the alternator to fit the new belt. Be careful, as the control valve for the variable valve timing is behind the alternator. It's right where you would normally place a lever while tensioning the new belt.
Old 02-03-2022, 07:10 PM   #3
nikonNUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinj93 View Post
Hi Chris,

Obvious question, but have you allowed for the Yaris not having an automatic tensioner on the belt? You need to loosen off the alternator to fit the new belt. Be careful, as the control valve for the variable valve timing is behind the alternator. It's right where you would normally place a lever while tensioning the new belt.
Hi Kevin!
That is a good question and I did. I think something is janky with the A/C compressor. I went and got a non A/C belt (to get the bugger running. It's sleeting to beat the band here and in the low 20s so...) and it went on just fine. I might have wacked something hiding in the slush and knocked it catty whompus. A warmer weather project for sure! Thank you for the insights, sir!!!
Old 02-04-2022, 07:13 PM   #4
andulong

Drives: 2008 Hatch Red
Are you sure you are routing it correctly?
andulong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 07:56 AM   #5
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Did you loosen the adjustment bolts for the alternator?
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 01:24 PM   #6
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
better question...did they actualy give you the right belt.....
i dont know how many times over the decades ive been given a wrong size belt for stuff, it SUCKS when you dont have an old belt to compare to
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 03:57 PM   #7
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
Hmm, the internet says the correct belt is 46.5 inches for a yaris with air conditioning. Part numbers for a few different brands:-

Bando 4PK1180
AC Delco 4K465
Dayco 5040465
Gates K040465
NAPA 4PK1180
Toyota 90916-02500
Old 02-05-2022, 08:01 PM   #8
nikonNUT

Hey guys,
Sorry for ghosting everyone. Playing catchup at work and just getting to take a deep breath!
@andulong, I believe so. My Yaris has 335K on it and I have changed the belt several times with no issues. I did Google the routing to be 100% sure.
@sh0rtlife and @kevinj93 I believe I recieved the correct belt. O'Reily's sold me the Gates K040465. I have never had this problem before and I am stumped! Going to try and get under it tomorrow and look at the compressor and take some pics!

Last edited by nikonNUT; 02-05-2022 at 08:25 PM.
nikonNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 05:18 PM   #9
sh0rtlife

i have atleast twice(once with a timing belt) received incorrectly stamped belts...dont get me wrong its rare to happen but it "can" happen

im with you tho on it likely being something out of alignment likely the AC, since the alt can only move so much, and even if you somehow managed to bend the water pump, youd be able to notice instantly as it would spin out of round, having just did the belt on my wifes 07 a couple weeks ago, thers just nothing complicated on these lil cars, so somethings just gotta be out of alignment
Old 02-10-2022, 09:11 PM   #10
alanwagen

Drives: 2015Yaris, Son's car, 10 Prius
There are two different size belts for this car.
alanwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 04:38 PM   #11
nikonNUT

So I have resoultion! Got the 50 inch-er in (had to work it over the alternator pully) and put it on and it had enough slack to run two motors. Told myself "Self, we ARE going to fix this!" so I grabbed THE cheapest belt advanced auto sells at the correct length determined to pry it over the crank pully come hell or high water! Popped off the non-AC belt (in the back as an emergeny spare) and threaded it over the pullys a bit differnently. Start with the Alt, then the water pump and A/C, so I could get ready to turn the crank and thread it over. Get under the car to do the deed and the damn thing popped right on! I'm sure yall heard me cursing from your respective AOs! :lol: So the car is good, the A/C works (a blessing in the heat that is coming), and I am a happy boy! Much appecation to every one for the help and a huge nod to the folks that said "It's a mis-marked belt."! Getting them from Toyota from here on out!!! Thank you again, gentlemen! Ya'll are life savers!!!
Old 02-15-2022, 07:13 PM   #12
sh0rtlife

dunno if id get it from yota so much as make a note that you need a 50 i tend to stick with gates no matter what
Old 02-22-2022, 10:15 AM   #13
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
You likely had it routed wrong initially, it is almost impossible to see due to the tight space. What happen is the belt is routed around the timing mark ear near the crank pulley. The causes it to look like it is installed fine, but you will not have enough slack to get it around the last pulley on the alternator.

I made this mistake when swapping belts on my sis in laws yaris. It is common and hard to see especially when you are in a rush to get it done.
Old 04-09-2022, 04:28 PM   #14
NaughtyLuvJungle

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE
Wanted to bump this thread. I have just had a similar experience. Replacing the belt on a 2012 SE with AC. The new belt I have is Toyota genuine 90916-02500. There is no way to get it to fit, with the alternator pushed all the way toward the engine block and the most slack possible. The old belt I pulled out has faint markings on it and looks like it says 4PK1210. This leads me to believe the new belt is 300mm shorter. Did I get the wrong part? I put the old belt back in for now, it's actually in much better condition than i expected, but at some point I want to replace.
NaughtyLuvJungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 01:58 PM   #15
NaughtyLuvJungle

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE
Just in case anyone else runs into this, I figured out what was going on. For the 2012 model year there are 2 different belt sizes. Early in the model year the belt is 46.5" (1180mm). Later in the model year they switched to a 47.7" (1210mm) belt. The Toyota P/N listed elsewhere in this thread is the earlier 46.5" and does NOT fit the later production run engines. I ended up using Continental Belt 4040477.
NaughtyLuvJungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 05:19 PM   #16
MaxR
I've made a post!

Drives: 2012 Yaris 1.3
Serpentine belt - No slack

I have a 2012 Yaris and am trying to replace the accessory belt wit no luck at all. I have the right belt (1210) but even with the Alternator hard against the block there is not enough slack to feed the belt over the crank, compressor, water pump AND alternator. What am I doing wrong or what else should do?

If I feed the belt over the crank, compressor and alternator the belt goes across the middle of the water pump smooth pulley and doesnt have enough slack to slide over the water pump pulley.

So far lots of scratches and cursing but still can’t get the belt in place so can’t run the car
MaxR is offline   Reply With Quote