Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-23-2020, 06:22 PM   #1
sacklunchz

Drives: 07 yaris
Help confirm C-One springs/shocks install?

Hey all,
I just installed C-One springs and shocks on my 07 yaris sedan.

The install went fine, I think. But I'm a bit nervous that
a) the springs seem fine on the lift with the car in the air (here), but once lowered seem quite compressed (here).
b) the top mount plate/screw seems slightly raised (here). Unlike the stock shocks with the allen-key, the C-One shocks (KYB's apparently) have these plastic tips in the tops of the bolts (which are maybe used to adjust the stiffness? I need to check with C-One on this). I tightened the top nut as much as possible before the shaft started spinning. Is this okay? Or is there a way I need to hold the shaft while tightening the nut (there doesn't seem to be an alley-key hole like the stock shocks)?

I'm pretty confident I installed the proper pieces, but perhaps I missed something? I took the car for a quick drive and it seems to drive fine.

Help?? Thanks ya'll :)

Last edited by sacklunchz; 12-23-2020 at 06:52 PM.
sacklunchz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:58 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
The top mount not making contact with the sheet metal us normal. That is exactly the way it sits with factory suspension installed. Compression is fine as well.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:10 PM   #3
sacklunchz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
The top mount not making contact with the sheet metal us normal. That is exactly the way it sits with factory suspension installed. Compression is fine as well.
Thank you! That makes me feel much better to know I didn't mess something up. :)
Old 12-23-2020, 09:05 PM   #4
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
I agree with WeeYari that the upper strut mount washer does not contact the strut tower under load. The rubber strut mount compresses, allowing the upper part of the shaft and nut to poke up a bit. I can't say, though, that that coil looks normal. It looks too compressed. Any chance of a more perpendicular shot? Are the coil loops actually touching? They appear to be. Looking at the product page, it almost appears that the rear springs were installed on the struts.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:15 PM   #5
sacklunchz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
I agree with WeeYari that the upper strut mount washer does not contact the strut tower under load. The rubber strut mount compresses, allowing the upper part of the shaft and nut to poke up a bit. I can't say, though, that that coil looks normal. It looks too compressed. Any chance of a more perpendicular shot? Are the coil loops actually touching? They appear to be. It almost looks like the rear springs were installed on the struts.
I think you're right about the springs being on the wrong side. That would explain the problem! Looking at the springs from C-One (these are the actual ones I bought), I see that the ones with the tighter coils are next to the rears...So, yes, I will be swapping them tomorrow. Thanks for noticing that!
Old 12-23-2020, 09:17 PM   #6
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacklunchz View Post
I think you're right about the springs being on the wrong side. That would explain the problem! Looking at the springs from C-One (these are the actual ones I bought), I see that the ones with the tighter coils are next to the rears...So, yes, I will be swapping them tomorrow. Thanks for noticing that!
No prob. I would confirm with C-one first to be sure. It's just my observation that they seemed to swapped front to back. The rear is a lot lighter and, as such, the springs wouldn't compress as much.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 12-23-2020, 09:20 PM   #7
sacklunchz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
No prob. I would confirm with C-one first to be sure. It's just my observation that they seemed to swapped front to back.
I emailed them and ill let you know what they say. But honestly I think it's almost certain you're correct. I've installed a dozen or so aftermarket springs and never seen the coils so tight. It's easy enough to swap one side and see.

thanks again friends!
Old 12-23-2020, 09:25 PM   #8
sacklunchz

Some pics to lighten my mood! Some Volk CE28s, 14 in +38, 185/60/14
https://imgur.com/a/55A4bbd

Old 12-23-2020, 09:50 PM   #9
06YarisRS

Quote:
Some pics to lighten my mood! Some Volk CE28s, 14 in +38, 185/60/14
https://imgur.com/a/55A4bbd

Those are such great looking wheels. I've seen them on a number of Yari and they always look so good. BTW, my brother lives in Durham and works for Duke. He's a flight nurse.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 12-24-2020 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-24-2020, 03:47 PM   #10
sacklunchz

Figured it out. The springs were on the ride ends, but they were upside down! All is well now. Thanks ya'll :)
Old 12-25-2020, 07:10 PM   #11
06YarisRS

Quote:
Figured it out. The springs were on the ride ends, but they were upside down! All is well now. Thanks ya'll :)
Great to hear!