Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-01-2021, 06:27 AM   #1
ZombiePunkRat

Drives: 2005 Yaris
Installing OEM steering wheel controls

So, I have have a base yaris that didn't come with a Bluetooth radio or steering wheel controls, so I have decided to add those accessories myself instead of aftermarket products (you gotta start somewhere, right?) and I've been looking into buying an OEM steering wheel with controls. My question is, that is there any extra wires I need or can I just take the old on off and install the new one and just plug it in?
ZombiePunkRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 09:57 AM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I'm pretty sure it also requires replacing the "clock spring" wire harness inside the steering column. That means removing the air bag and steering wheel to get to it. Not terribly complicated but requires a few specialized tools (hub puller and T30 Torx bits).
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 11:16 PM   #3
ZombiePunkRat

Drives: 2005 Yaris
Thanks for the reply
I'll look into that 😁
ZombiePunkRat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
controls, diy, oem, steering wheel