Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-15-2006, 12:40 AM   #1
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
question for those with a tach...

greetings everyone: i was wondering, for those with either the factory tach or an aftermarket one, what are the rpms you are running while going certain speeds?? for instance, does the yaris do 3K rpm @ 70mph?? i was just curious, since my old civic did 3K rpm @ 70mph, while my sienna does 2K rpm @ 70mph. kind of on the same note, but how noisy are your yarii at highway speeds?? i figure theres not much sound-dampening material in this economy car, but i'm also trying to gauge how much engine noise we're going to be looking at during highway speeds. thanks sooo much for any input!!

--B

ps: we're looking into dynamatting most of the car, and would love some feedback from people that have done this too! (wow, that's a lot of questions for one thread...sorry!!?!)
Old 11-15-2006, 12:46 AM   #2
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
RE to the PS, the yaris is surprisingly well dampened! Its not exactly a silent ride, but its not the normal econo-box feel. I've had the car apart, and i'd say sound dampening/insulation from the B pillar forward is adequate, from there on back there is nothing. Most of the sound comes in through the numerous rubber stoppers that dot the car, dynamatting over just those will make a drastic difference.

The yaris is basically rattle free from the factory, subwoofer wise... so from that standpoint, dynamat and such isn't needed.

The spare tire well was coated with liquid dampener, thats the green in this pic.

spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 12:58 AM   #3
static808

point very well taken. the b-pillar on forward dampening seems to be true, otherwise the doors wouldnt close sooo solidly! i absolutely love the solid "thump" of closing the doors. feels like closing a lexus or audi door. i guess we'll look into dampening b-pillar on backward. my wife loves how ridiculously quiet our sienna is, and we're looking into replicating that atmosphere in her yaris. but then again, she IS upgrading from my '97 civic which rattles like an aluminum can rolling down the road!

--B
Old 11-15-2006, 01:12 AM   #4
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by static808
point very well taken. the b-pillar on forward dampening seems to be true, otherwise the doors wouldnt close sooo solidly! i absolutely love the solid "thump" of closing the doors. feels like closing a lexus or audi door. i guess we'll look into dampening b-pillar on backward. my wife loves how ridiculously quiet our sienna is, and we're looking into replicating that atmosphere in her yaris. but then again, she IS upgrading from my '97 civic which rattles like an aluminum can rolling down the road!

--B
the yaris can very easily be a silent ride - i'd say a layer of dyanamat (or equivilant) all the way around, including the doors and roof, with an extra layer from the B pillar back... then a layer of carpet padding - it'll be an extremely quite and smooth ride :)

One bonus is that since the car is so small, you dont have to use so much material
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:31 AM   #5
BMGYaris

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
Hey, i actually started a thread about the rpms earlier. It looks to be 3,000. Make sure you discern between canada and america, im not sure how much difference the engine size makes, but there are samples form both, i would go with the american ones. Also, some people dont specify manual or automatic.
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2413

Anybody know about doing the dyno with side airbags? going to change anything?
BMGYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 03:35 AM   #6
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by static808

--B
My old car used to be a 98 Civic with manual transmission. I had some extremely noisy tires on my Civic and that car had poor noise dampening which was a real pain when combined with those performance tires.

The Civic gearing was crazy tall, and at 80mph, the rpm was only at around 3000rpm. If I had to guest-estimate, I'd say the Yaris is quieter at under 90mph and Civic is quieter at higher speeds. Reason being, the engine noise, since older (96 to 00) Manual Civic was at around 4000rpm to maintain 100mph. While at lower speeds, the better insulation in the Yaris would shine through.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 04:44 PM   #7
XSarge

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
70MPH = 3000RPM on mine. Noise isn't bad for a little car. My Neon was much worse at Hwy speed.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:46 PM   #8
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
I just checked yesterday, 2,200RPM in 5th gear at 80km/h (50MPH)

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:27 PM   #9
static808

thanx for all the replies and suggestions everyone! theres a local al n eds that can do a whole car dyanamt setup, and they said they'd do it pretty cheap since we're prolly gonna get our nav system from them as well. (just waiting for new eclipse models to carry better screen resolution, like the one in my sienna nav) they even wanna throw in some mb quart components into our car for 99 a pair since we asked if they could install some polk 6.5's bought from crutchfield. they say they get a bunch of civic and rsx/integra owners in for the dynamat systems as well since they want to lessen the road noise in their cars...

--B