Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-28-2012, 01:22 AM   #1
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
General PIAA foglight question

I have been thinking of installing foglights on my 2011, 3-door. I find that a good foglight (not the crappy, mostly cosmetic factory stuff) is great for lighting up the highway lane lines in very heavy rainstorms. Rather than buying a pair of tiny PIAAs to install in the factory location, the thread on "rally style",

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40198,

got me thinking how I like the look of those huge fogs on the front of rally cars. So, I decided buy a pair of 5", 6", or 7" lamps to mount above my bumper. I am undecided whether to get NOS Cibie Oscars or PIAA 520 or 540 series lights. My question is about the PIAA lamp covers. They are a grille style "cover", not a solid cover like the Cibie Oscars'. They also have PIAA cast in them. My question is, are the PIAA covers supposed to be removed when the lights are turned on or are the covers left on when the lights are on? I searched many hours on the internet but I can't find any answer.

TIA...
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:47 PM   #2
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
check to make sure it is even legal to run lights that high. It might not be.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:10 AM   #3
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Yeah, last time I checked (about 30 years ago) I believe fogs have to be between 12" and 40" above the ground. I am not even sure if 7" fogs are even legal (although Cibie says all of their fog lights are street legal). The way I plan to mount them, they will be 1 or 2 inches lower (not below, just lower) than the headlights so it should be okay...
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote