Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
Dexlin1011

Drives: Future Toyota
Possible new Yaris owner with questions.

I am thinking of purchasing a new 2012 Toyota Yaris LE in either lagoon or the light blue( forgot the name of it).
I have some questions for those of you that already own your yarii'
1. Have any of you leased your Yaris instead of buying outright? If so can you give me a rough estimate what the residual is at the end of 36 mo. As if you were going to purchase car at the end of lease?
2. Any of you that owned the previous gen Yaris... What do you like better or not as much in the 12 version.
3. Aside from true car.com what are some real life success stories of getting the dealer to back off any of msrp? Are they budging at all?
I'm new to car buying experience so... Tips, suggestions are highly welcomed!
Someone was telling me that you have satellite radio on the Yaris, true?? I didn't see that when I test drove one?!
4. Do any of you wish you would have gone with a different car, maybe the Hyundai accent or elantra( the other two I am looking at)?
Dexlin1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:16 PM   #2
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Leasing is never a good idea unless you care more about how you look in a car than whether you can truly afford it or not.

There's a 2012 owners thread in here, they all seem to love it. Just like the rest of us love ours. It's good basic transportation that's fun as hell to drive and it's at the top of the heap for MPG's (sans hybrids and such.)

There isn't much leeway with the MSRP - you might save a bit but dealers don't make much on the car as it is so don't expect a lot of wheeling and dealing. Plus, with gas prices rising once again they will be more in demand and command a higher price. If you're serious about it get one while you can.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
Dexlin1011

I see, yeah I have heard mixed things about leading... Some like it and some do not! Anyone on here that has leased and thought it was a good experience ?
Any word on satellite radio?
Old 04-08-2012, 06:28 PM   #4
TimmyTwo2

Drives: 2012 Yaris LE LB
Send a message via AIM to TimmyTwo2 Send a message via Yahoo to TimmyTwo2
The light blue is Waveline Pearl, I have a 2012 3 Door Liftback in Waveline Pearl. The LE stereo has a satellite radio in it, but you need the satellite radio kit for it, which I think is an antenna mostly (extra cost). I got $2000 off my car which was the internet price, the dealer said they didn't have much mark up and didn't budge on the price. The only down side was they installed mudguards, floor mats, and a pin stripe (which they charged for). Don't get me wrong I like that my car has them all but I could have gotten the accessories cheaper and don't have a pin stripe on my other car, which by the way is a 2010 Hyundai Elantra. I considered the Yaris, Elantra, and Accent for my new car, but the Yaris was the lowest priced that I found between the 3 and you can't beat the Toyota Care for 2 years 25,000 miles. I didn't consider leasing because I have 3 kids and it isn't really practical because my cars get dinged (I'm babying this one because it is my first brand new one) and they charge you if you don't buy the car after the lease from what I've heard. If I wanted to lease and knew I would keep the car in good condition I probably would have gone with something more expensive, not that I don't love my Yaris, I just think leasing is to get more car than you could buy.

Last edited by TimmyTwo2; 04-08-2012 at 06:29 PM. Reason: clarification
TimmyTwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #5
12 yaris

Drives: '12 Yaris LE Lagoon Blue Mica
1.Bought,did not lease. I intend keeping this car for a long time.
I'll probably have between 35-40K miles in a years time.
2.My trade was a Toyota Paseo W/ 200K.
3.Good luck W/ neg.
4.No, I do not wish I chose another car.

Last edited by 12 yaris; 04-08-2012 at 07:49 PM.
12 yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
Dexlin1011

Thanks for the replies. Yeah maybe leasing isn't such a great idea?
If I were to finance, do any of you know what apr is available. I asked of they had any specials like 0.9% ( that they have for the corolla), but the sales guy said they didn't have anything like that for the Yaris???
With tier 1 excellent credit what do you think I would be getting apr wise?
Old 04-08-2012, 07:26 PM   #7
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Drives: 2012 Yaris 3-door w/5-speed!
1. I bought. They don't budge much on MSRP.
2. I will do 6000 miles a year.
3. I didn't trade anything--put $5k cash down and drove off.
4. I considered others, but the Yaris is the best looking, fun-driving, and built for the price.

Get one, you will NOT regret it!
CanIHazYarisHatch? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
shotton

Drives: yaris
looking for help regarding the radio display control unit in my yaris
shotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #9
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
if you need to finance, go to area banks and credit unions first and see what they can offer you, if you walk in to a dealership with a finance offer they might try to beat it.

Truecar and the like are great resources, but look around on the internet, one mazda dealer in NC is actually advertising prices lower than the truecar "dealer cost."

Sometimes car buying programs will give you better deals, like through AAA, bj's, costco. etc. Even truecar itself offers something.

There are tons of negotiating ploys out there, it all depends on how much you enjoy it. Going near the end of the month is a good idea, salesmen might give you a deal in order to hit a higher bonus amount. Some people have called the fleet managers and made deals that way. With the internet, you can now see what vehicles are on most dealers lots, and you can negotiate over the phone or just call to make an offer, sometimes a good salesman will make a deal for a quick easy sale.

Always be willing to go to different dealerships, and always be willing to walk away.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #10
CPALK719

Drives: 2012 toyota yaris
no point in leasing a vehicle, unless you plan on just keeping it short term and getting another vehicle shortly after this.

as for the 2012 yaris, i wanted a reliable daily driver. something that i can drive around anywhere and everywhere, and i really must say i have not been disappointed.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #11
mirapatec

Drives: 2012 Yaris L, 2020 Yaris LE HB
I purchased my 2012. I am extremely pleased, thus far.

mirapatec is offline   Reply With Quote