Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-07-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Drives: 2009 2 door hatchback
Want to build costom turbo kit. Need advice from boosted guys!

I want to build a costom turbo setup using mostly E-bay parts. I am thinking t25/28 turbo. I have found exhaust manafold/turbo, intercooler and piping,oil and water lines if needed. Also a air intake and filter to mount the mass air sensor. I am sure I will need to buy at least 1 more intercooler piping kit and a blow off valve. And I found a downpipe witch will need to be costomized from a nissan silvia. Or I will need a complete costom downpipe.

My questions are what piggy back system should I use to control injector pulse? Will I need bigger injectors right away? I am only looking for 150-170whp. Also should oil source for turbo be tapped from oil pressure sensor or do I need to buy adapter to tap near the filter? I am also sure a new clutch will be in my future shortly after install. I am thinking center force dual friction.
Also can I tune a piggy back system with a lap top and a wide band o2s or do you need some specialized training to complete this. I am a ase master tech for about 12 years, but I have never done tuning. Its just so dame expensive around Chicago. Very few places to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Combo-BmfT25Vband-SXB15L-011.jpg (103.0 KB, 1472 views)
File Type: jpg BK-Pipe-BU-Coupler-Small-Cooler-650x620.jpg (89.9 KB, 1460 views)
File Type: jpg 805-157-101.jpg (168.0 KB, 1467 views)
File Type: jpg T25ADAP.jpg (204.3 KB, 1473 views)
File Type: jpg 335619009_o.jpg (79.3 KB, 1451 views)
pimp my yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Also 1 more question. Has anyone used this turbo manafold set up? I want to know if it interfers with A/C lines? I want to retain my A/C.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I think you'll need a tuner, but maybe not. Piggybacks are problematic with the Yaris, but at least one member has an AEM FIC working properly. I personally don't mind doing some street tuning, but I insist on at least one dyno session to get it just right and make sure it's a reliable and thorough tune.

Corolla injectors will serve you for this project. What is the internal gate set for in psi?

T25 is a nice small turbo for us, nimble and quick to spool.

What brands are the parts? Especially the turbo, it's the heart of your system. How is the customer service if a part fails?

My turbo mani is $249 shipped.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
My tune with the greddy emanage ultimate is still doing ok.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:45 PM   #5
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Internal wastegate for the turbo in the picture is set to 7psi. No word on the brand of turbo. compressor housing is .80AR, turbine side is .86AR. Cast iron manafold also includes 35/38mm wastegate flange for external wastegate. I,m sure costomer service is shitty. Its a non ball bearing turbo. But 450$ shipped for manafold, turbo, oil line and gaskets sounds cheap even if the turbo is not top quality. I figure if it blows I would upgrade to a better ball bearing turbo later.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:52 PM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

if it blows you may be upgrading more than the turbo - but it's your risk to take. As long as it's not your daily driver, go for it.

If you're getting a turbo with an internal gate, why would you get a manifold with a wastegate flange?

and "compressor housing is .80AR, turbine side is .86AR" is way too large. You'll have so much lag with that. For comparison, the Garrett GT2554R is .64 turbine side.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:15 PM   #7
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Has anyone tuned using the Apexi Afc-neo? Just curious how it worked out. It looks like a bargain price. Claims to alter mass air flow sensor readings to change injector pulse width.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:22 PM   #8
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Also have you guys retarded timing when in the boost. If so how much ie: 1degree/1pd boost. I am asking because the Apexi AFC-neo I mentioned previously has no provision for adjusting timing. Could be very important. Detonation bad
Old 07-08-2010, 12:13 AM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

A little timing is taken out in my tune, not a whole lot.

You didn't attend to any of the comments/questions in post 6.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:20 AM   #10
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Cali yaris I saw the turbo manafold your selling. Looks like very good quality. I see it mounts the turbo under the manafold. While this Ebay set up mounts turbo above the manafold. I think your setup may be better for clearance with the A/C lines. Have you had any feedback about that manafold, any clearance problems? I looked into that turbo you mentioned, but for right know thats a little out of my price range. It was selling for 900-1000$
Old 07-08-2010, 01:01 AM   #11
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

I only have my own feedback about the manifold. I'm throwing 24 psi at it and getting nice power. No cracks or issues of any kind. Fitment is great, no clearance issues with any other systems.

how about this one:
Quote:
If you're getting a turbo with an internal gate, why would you get a manifold with a wastegate flange?
Old 07-08-2010, 01:18 AM   #12
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

The E-bay ad mentioned a wastegate flange. But none can be seen in either picture of the manafold. Anyway I dont like mounting the turbo above the manafold next to the cyl. head. I think it will cause clearance problems with a/c lines and will be to hot and close to ECM. I think I will be purchasing your manafold sometime this month. You sold me. Funds are limited. I will be starting with manafold and turbo then I can start planing routing for intercooler pipes. Gotta get that mental picture and piece it together you know!
Old 07-08-2010, 01:20 AM   #13
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

To bad you are not selling a downpipe for a t25 mounted on your manafold. That would be sweet
Old 07-08-2010, 01:24 AM   #14
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

I forgot to ask. What turbo is this manafold your selling designed to fit? Cali
Old 07-08-2010, 02:47 AM   #15
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Just doing some more turbo comparisions. Found T3 w/internal wastegate and v/band exit. .5" a/r compressor and .63" a/r turbine. Possibly the smaller size could be more yaris friendly. V/band exit could make downpipe easier to fabricate.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:56 AM   #16
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
T3 will be a bit too large, t25 will be fine and will allow you plenty of breathing room between actual turbo output and its maximum output.

Garms manifold should be for a t25 turbo, if I am wrong he will chime in to do so.
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:34 AM   #17
Parmas

Drives: Vitz RS Turbo
We all know that good quality and efficient parts are expensive but if you decide to go for the cheap parts (like that turbo) you will absolutely scrap what you bought and eventually going for the expensive ones.

I don't know about that intake filter but I am about sure you will have to make it custom. *Remember that now the intake is the turbo and not the throttle body!

A T25 0.64 turbine is the best turbo you can get for balanced power/torque and spooling time. Keep in mind that there are turbos that feature watercooling which is a plus but not a must.

RE: Oil turbo feed, you have two choices :

1. Tap the block
2. Install a sandwich adapter

Mine is tapped at the front and rear probably similar to Garm setup but that is your choice.

Don't buy intercooler piping unless the turbo setup (turbo+ Ex manifold + intercooler) is of the same manufacturer. If you go with Garm's manifold you need custom piping to match turbo.

Clutch is an option upgrade but that depends how much you love your throttle pedal. If so clutchmasters are the most recommended brand.

RE: Piggy back, choose carefully and buy only proven ones unless you don't want to waste cash trying indefinetely to tune it right.
Parmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:37 PM   #18
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ good points -- Parmas has been working on his built set up for a while now, and he's learned so much along the way.

my mani has a T25 flange.