Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
racerb

Drives: 2010 Yaris HB Blazin' Blue
What's Up With The Damn Spammers

Been an awful lot a spamming on the site today, make it STOP, aarrrrggggghhh!!

racerb
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
It has gotten truly painful.

My default setting for thread notification was instant by email. Unfortunately I can only select one page at a time to now disable the notifications on existing subscribed threads, and I have over 3000 of them.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Agreed, I think we could use a few more moderators to handle this epidemic!
Old 08-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
I think this topic has been discussed to death...
Old 08-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #5
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
lol, it's still better than those freakin tire shops spamming craigslist with the same ad 50 times per day.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #6
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
Yeah, this has been discussed before. We all agree that it's sad we can't have more mods, but the admins are MIA.

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:26 PM   #7
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie

Just report the spam, how hard is that?? One of us will get to it within minutes....
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #8
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post

Just report the spam, how hard is that?? One of us will get to it within minutes....
Unfortunately, there's not much else that can be done.

I think we're all just wondering why there's just so much all of a sudden. Which no one can answer. There's simply a lot of no good for nothing scumbags in this world.

No one reads their crap, I don't know what they think they're accomplishing.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:08 PM   #9
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
Unfortunately, there's not much else that can be done.

I think we're all just wondering why there's just so much all of a sudden. Which no one can answer. There's simply a lot of no good for nothing scumbags in this world.

No one reads their crap, I don't know what they think they're accomplishing.
Sorry, but I disagree. I am on numerous forums that have found ways to combat this. For some reason it appears there is some reluctance to even admit it's a problem here.

A simple solution would be adding a couple more moderators. Why is that such a ridiculous proposal? Would the owners rather lose membership because of all the spam?

Activity on this board is already tapering off...
Old 08-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #10
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
...No one reads their crap, I don't know what they think they're accomplishing. ...
*Dons fire-retardant suit.*

Well, there was this one time... this one guy... well, he went like this...

"Hey, this looks like a good deal! Shut up and take my money!"

...and tried to buy something...

So, that's what they are trying to accomplish!

*Removes fire-retardant suit.*

Anywho, seriously, if you click this button on the post: , you can report it as spam; the mods take care of it rather quickly.

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:13 PM   #11
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Sorry, but I disagree. I am on numerous forums that have found ways to combat this. For some reason it appears there is some reluctance to even admit it's a problem here.

A simple solution would be adding a couple more moderators. Why is that such a ridiculous proposal? Would the owners rather lose membership because of all the spam?

Activity on this board is already tapering off...
The Mods seem to delete the posts pretty quickly. The problem is having a system to stop them in the first place. A tougher thing to accomplish.

We need administrators who actually care about their product instead of having it on eternal autopilot.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #12
Astroman
Modded Moderator

It's an admin problem. Really some basic safeguards for new members could be put in place such as the first few posts need to be approved by an admin/moderator, and in the modorators control panel the forum does have this feature.

There is more to being a moderator than removing spam (even if that is what we moderate the most). It takes an exceptional member to even be tapped for the job, and again that requires admins.

So regardless deep thought questions, whining, and demanding more moderators won't help. For now, report the posts, and send lots and lots of PMs to our two admins asking for more restrictions for new members.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #13
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
lol

Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #14
MadMax

If you want us to report all the spam, then get rid of the rule that only allows one report every minute! There are several instances of it at the moment, and when I tried to report the second one I get the error message that says I have to wait another 33 seconds.

Sorry, but if you are really serious about removing spammers off this forum, then let us report it as soon as we see it!
Old 08-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #15
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Quote:
If you want us to report all the spam, then get rid of the rule that only allows one report every minute! There are several instances of it at the moment, and when I tried to report the second one I get the error message that says I have to wait another 33 seconds.

Sorry, but if you are really serious about removing spammers off this forum, then let us report it as soon as we see it!

Again, another feature the mods have ZERO control over. That as well falls on the admins. I find it offensive you don't think us 3 active volunteer mods aren't serious about the spam on here, I've even put large amounts ofmy personal life on hold to deal with the spam and this is as volunteer job. We've brought all these complaints to the Admins but don't hear back. We're frustrated too so for now if you could just be patient and continue reporting spam that is the best we can do. I actively hunt for spam and most isn't reported.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #16
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:

Since at any given moment a spam barrage is usually caused by one user, I would suspect clicking the report button on 1 link would be sufficient. This alerts the mods to a spammer who then manages that profile and all associated posts. I don't think it is necessary to report on every post the spammer has spewed out.

Am I right Astro, or way off base?

(keep up the good work)
Old 08-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #17
MadMax

It's been more than one spammer, and it's gotten a lot worse lately. If the admins aren't being responsive to the concerns of the members on here, then I guess there's nothing we can do. I admin on a large military forum so I am well aware of the constant requirements of the job, but if it's too much then they should consider handing the reigns over to someone who has the time. I travel 2-3 times a month and spend a lot of time out of the country, but I am still responsive to any issues with the forum I admin, I don't see why this smaller forum would be such a challenge...
Old 08-27-2013, 11:32 PM   #18
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Since at any given moment a spam barrage is usually caused by one user, I would suspect clicking the report button on 1 link would be sufficient.
This.
There's no need to report the same user over and over.

@MadMax: I agree that putting a delay on reporting posts and NOT adding a delay for posting is stupid. Unfortunately, as Astro has mentioned a few times in the past, there's nothing we can do about it, and no extra number of mods will make an impact on this. If you don't want to report posts, then please just ignore them.