Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-24-2017, 04:54 PM   #1
m.flores.0928

Drives: 2014 Yaris
Talking 3rd gen engine swap, 2ZR? 2AR? Swap newbie

I'm thinking about a motor swap. I have a 2014 4-door hatch with an auto. The current 1NZ isn't doing it for me, and as a few others have already done, I'm thinking about a 2ZR swap. I want to keep the auto trans, just to keep it easier.

Maybe a 2AR from a camry? Any thoughts on this?

As far as legalities and technicalities go, what sort of smog and registration laws do I have to follow? How would I make a swapped yaris smog and road legal?

As far as the mechanical installation goes, I am a moderate mechanic, I used to work in the field, but not anymore. I feel like I am capable of the installation. Sourcing parts, tools, figuring out the wiring and computer stuff, that's the easy part. I live in Sonoma County California. I aim to keep this a sleeper. I would like some modest suspension mods, maybe lower it, bigger sway bars, and a rear disc conversion, that sorta thing. That's about it.

I have never swapped an engine before, any and all tips and advice is welcome and appreciated! Thanks!
m.flores.0928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:05 PM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Armstrong Racing would be your man for the Cali details. He's all the way down in SanDiego, so a direct visit might be out of the question.

Check out the recent 2ZR swap threads to get an idea of what's involved. Nobody has done a "3rd gen" swap yet, but afaik it's the same engine bay. I would suggest finding someone with the tools and experience pulling a motor, but if you're careful and patient it can be done by someone with basic mechanical skills and the right tools in a weekend or two.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:10 PM   #3
m.flores.0928

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Armstrong Racing would be your man for the Cali details. He's all the way down in SanDiego, so a direct visit might be out of the question.

Check out the recent 2ZR swap threads to get an idea of what's involved. Nobody has done a "3rd gen" swap yet, but afaik it's the same engine bay. I would suggest finding someone with the tools and experience pulling a motor, but if you're careful and patient it can be done by someone with basic mechanical skills and the right tools in a weekend or two.

I'll look into that! Afaik, "third gen" refers to 2012 and up, right? It's the same platform too. I used to have a 2010 two door and it was identical. Anyway, I figure just basic tools like a stand, a hoist, some air tools and all that stuff. Sourcing the parts may be a bit rough.

My idea was to find a salvaged Corolla from an auction or something online, place a bid and get it for cheap, pull the motor and get rid of the rest.

I've been watching the guy in Canada swap the 2zr into his sedan, it gives me hope!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2017, 09:18 PM   #4
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.flores.0928 View Post
I'll look into that! Afaik, "third gen" refers to 2012 and up, right? It's the same platform too. I used to have a 2010 two door and it was identical. Anyway, I figure just basic tools like a stand, a hoist, some air tools and all that stuff. Sourcing the parts may be a bit rough.

My idea was to find a salvaged Corolla from an auction or something online, place a bid and get it for cheap, pull the motor and get rid of the rest.

I've been watching the guy in Canada swap the 2zr into his sedan, it gives me hope!
Yes, I think 3rd gen refers to 2012 up. Obviously, the "new" Yaris sedan (Mazda 2) isn't going to work here.

Depending on your area, there may be some you-pick yards nearby that you can get some components from. Check out row52.com or LKQ pick-your-part. For stuff that may come with a warranty or that has been pulled by a recycler, start with car-part.com. The engine isn't something you want to cheap out on, so be prepared to spend up to $1000 on a low mileage engine from a recycler. I wouldn't recommend getting a whole chassis unless you can't find a whole engine assembly and want to save money on the accessories.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:52 PM   #5
m.flores.0928

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Yes, I think 3rd gen refers to 2012 up. Obviously, the "new" Yaris sedan (Mazda 2) isn't going to work here.

Depending on your area, there may be some you-pick yards nearby that you can get some components from. Check out row52.com or LKQ pick-your-part. For stuff that may come with a warranty or that has been pulled by a recycler, start with car-part.com. The engine isn't something you want to cheap out on, so be prepared to spend up to $1000 on a low mileage engine from a recycler. I wouldn't recommend getting a whole chassis unless you can't find a whole engine assembly and want to save money on the accessories.

Yea the Mazda 2 situation is really lame if you ask me. But that's a whole different topic, haha.

I'll look into those. In my area there's actually plenty of potential candidates for salvage titles that don't have engine damage. It's all in the doors or the rear, so that's where I figured that could be a good route as well. I won't cheap out on a motor but if I can source a low mile salvage (which there are plenty, actually) I could pull service reports on the motor and observe it myself and if everything checks out, why not go for that, ya know?

I'm open minded and I won't be cheap I'm just dissecting my ideas here with you all, following any other possible routes to consider.

Thanks for the ideas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-21-2018, 01:24 PM   #6
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
bump for interest
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 10:54 AM   #7
ravipasupuleti

Drives: 2013 Yaris LE
Hello, Did you make any progress on the engine swap.
ravipasupuleti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1nz, 2ar, 2zr, sleeper, swap