Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-29-2012, 08:25 AM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Shift Without Clutch Experiment

This is my new 95 Chevy S10 2.2 with manual trans. 110k miles $2250.

I cannot push a clutch in anymore due to health issues.

I would never buy a auto trans!

But now I have to.

Or do I?

I initend to drive this bitch without a clutch until either it blows up or I prove its possible to do it without harm!

If it works I will sell my auto Yaris and buy a manual!

Stay tuned!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aaaaaa 023(2).jpg (271.0 KB, 127 views)
Old 11-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
kou

Drives: 08 lb
So you say you will never buy an auto trans but you bought an automatic yaris? the clutch in the yaris is the lightest I have ever felt.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
bronsin

I said I never "would" buy one.

But I have painfull neuropathy in my feet. I sold my best car I ever owned 2001 ECHO with MT and bought the auto Yaris to see if it helped my feet.

It did, greatly.

But now, maybe, I will go back to a manual if I can get away with shifting without a clutch!
Old 11-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
I shift without the pushing the clutch all the time. You would only have to push the clutch jn when putting it in first or reverse from a stop. You can easily rev match after that.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
bronsin

But will the trans last as long as it would?

If you ALWAYS shifted without?
Old 11-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
the first thing that usally will go when doing that kind of driving is the gear synchronizers between each gear (the ones on either side of 2nd are the first ones to go). followed by the gears themselves. it will last a while but it depends on whether or not you are doing stop and go and going though the gears a lot or mostly cruising with minimal gear change.
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
bronsin

This is 7 miles to and from work so theres plenty of changes.

I will either DESTROY this tranmission or it will take it and live.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
So from a stand still (taking off in the morning) you plan to crank it in neutral, rev it a bit, then jab it into first? My yaris won't even start without the clutch in...I don't think I ever had a manual that would (without modification).

I just can't see this as a long lasting viable solution...what do you have against an automatic anyway? not all autos are created equal. I have heard a lot about the one in the yaris that would keep me from having one but other cars aren't as bad.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #9
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
So from a stand still (taking off in the morning) you plan to crank it in neutral, rev it a bit, then jab it into first? My yaris won't even start without the clutch in...I don't think I ever had a manual that would (without modification).

I just can't see this as a long lasting viable solution...what do you have against an automatic anyway? not all autos are created equal. I have heard a lot about the one in the yaris that would keep me from having one but other cars aren't as bad.

No.

Clutch safety switch disabled in this vehicle. Starts without pushing clutch in.

To start:

Put it in first.

Crank engine.

Engine turns, car moves, engine starts and you are moving in first gear.

No clutch needed!

Automatic transmission: poor mileage, less control over speed (does not slow when taking foot off gas) does not last as long as a manual does.

Feet screwedup.

Cant push clutch in.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #10
david_827

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
No.

Clutch safety switch disabled in this vehicle. Starts without pushing clutch in.

To start:

Put it in first.

Crank engine.

No clutch needed!

Automatic transmission: poor mileage, less control over speed (does not slow when taking foot off gas) does not last as long as a manual does.

Feet screwedup.

Cant push clutch in.
Thats weird, lately in my auto i have been averaging about 32mpg all city driving, and the moment i take my foot off my gas pedal it slows down almost instantaneously.......
david_827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #11
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
Quote:
No.

To start:

Put it in first.

Crank engine.

No clutch needed!
So you are going to rely on the starter to not only turn the engine but to also move the vehicle....

until the motor takes over, the starter is going to be driving the vehicle forward. I can't see that lasting very long. screw the transmission, what about the starter in that scenario.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #12
bronsin

Right.

It starts right up though...

After about six weeks of driving once a week to work and having occasionally to push the clutch in I havnt had any real problem.

So Im considering starting and moving off using the clutch...

HOWEVER!

If your clutch goes out I see no problem knowing how to do that so you can at least get home or get the car to a shop in the meantime.

Also for emergency use infrequently there should be no problem!
Old 11-29-2012, 04:48 PM   #13
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Well, it is A solution. Sorry to hear about your feet; it's something I think about even though I am not having any problems with mine. Good to know you can start it in gear in case I am temporarily unable to shift.

I suggest you don't go near San Francisco in a M/T car.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #14
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Don't you need to activate the clutch to switch to reverse anyway?
Old 11-29-2012, 07:40 PM   #15
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421 View Post
Don't you need to activate the clutch to switch to reverse anyway?

Yes BUT you can put it in reverse without the engine running or the parking brake on and crank the starter, just like you can do with first gear.

For best results start with the pointing downhill in the direction you wish to go.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:27 PM   #16
ilikerice

Quote:
But will the trans last as long as it would?

If you ALWAYS shifted without?
I switch gears on a daily basis without the clutch, but only 2-3 3-4 4-5.. I was lucky enough to practice this alot with my crx I had for 10 years with a 91 integra trans that has been autocrossed and 10 psi of boost for a year. Probably got about 80k miles of abuse in my hands.. sold it to a guy for 50 dollars about 3 years ago. Trans is still going and he has a boosted civic also now.

I have gotten to the point now where I can downshift without using a clutch. Been practicing heel-toe using 1 foot only, still a bit sloppy right now. Trying to learn actual speed and engine speed when coming to a stop.

you will not mess up your transmission if you dont grind the gears.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #17
ilikerice

Quote:
Right.

It starts right up though...

After about six weeks of driving once a week to work and having occasionally to push the clutch in I havnt had any real problem.

So Im considering starting and moving off using the clutch...

HOWEVER!

If your clutch goes out I see no problem knowing how to do that so you can at least get home or get the car to a shop in the meantime.

Also for emergency use infrequently there should be no problem!
I can see your starting getting burned up or even worse, breaking the teeth off the flywheel and/or the starter gear. Good luck with this.. lol
Old 11-30-2012, 12:40 AM   #18
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
I switch gears on a daily basis without the clutch, but only 2-3 3-4 4-5.. I was lucky enough to practice this alot with my crx I had for 10 years with a 91 integra trans that has been autocrossed and 10 psi of boost for a year. Probably got about 80k miles of abuse in my hands.. sold it to a guy for 50 dollars about 3 years ago. Trans is still going and he has a boosted civic also now.

I have gotten to the point now where I can downshift without using a clutch. Been practicing heel-toe using 1 foot only, still a bit sloppy right now. Trying to learn actual speed and engine speed when coming to a stop.

you will not mess up your transmission if you dont grind the gears.
I sold my previous car for $50 as well. The Blue Book value had depreciated to zero and additionally, the steering rack had probably a few hundred safe miles remaining. I was also able to rip out the aftermarket stereo I had installed.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote