Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-05-2006, 10:20 PM   #1
w1ngzer0

Drives: Subaru Impreza
Test drove a hatch, thoughts

Well i drove a hatch today. It felt extremely high the car. It felt wider then my impreza.Not sure why but it did. Had a good turn radius and had ok acceleration with 3 people.

The clutch felt sloppy. I don't know what you guys are use to. But this clutch felt very weak. Its not as snappy or as stiff compaired to my impreza.very agile did the turning feel compaired to my impreza

Though one thing is for sure. Everyone that i drove by there reaction was "what car is that"?

At one point at a stop light a guy said clearly "What the hell is that?" lol

With gas prices realisticly approaching $5 a gallon. You could drop some 16's and better suspention on it and it might handle better.
w1ngzer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:27 PM   #2
ricko

Drives: Copper-Orange Yaris RS
I'm not sure which version of the hatch you drove, but installing the Toyota optional TRD lowering springs on my Canadian RS made a significant improvement. Given the cost of buying a "Smart" car, I consider the Yaris to be a "Smarter" car.
ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 01:15 AM   #3
hhcchen
stop staring my star perv

Drives: 97 tercel
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdy
I drove a 5speed yaris sedan just to get a feel for it when my car comes in, keep in mind I have driven a 5 speed honda fit sport which is 2k more than the car I am getting. The clutch on the Yaris is perfection and the shifter feels so smooth, on the fit the clutch is iffy and you can barely feel when it engages and the shifter although it looks cool is shakey and brittle feeling and doesn't like to go into 3rd.

This is gonna be my 3rd 5 speed car I had a mazda 323 gtx and a civic and out of all of them the yaris has the best feeling tranny. I am afraid this car is going to be to fun to drive and I will find myself taking to long way home.

Bravo toyota
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413

ok... please explain...
you both are impreza owners...
but totally different opinion...
hhcchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 07:31 AM   #4
boxerboy

Drives: WRX ,Tacoma and Yaris
I'm a impreza owner. I have only been able to drive the auto sedan. I will say it was better that I espected. I have ordered a 5spd hatch, I like the fact that its a toyota, the price and milage. It will no matter what compare to my impreza. It is what it is and I love it.
boxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 08:57 AM   #5
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhcchen
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413

ok... please explain...
you both are impreza owners...
but totally different opinion...
Birdy's WRX was an auto.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:14 PM   #6
jcove

Drives: 2011 Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricko
I'm not sure which version of the hatch you drove, but installing the Toyota optional TRD lowering springs on my Canadian RS made a significant improvement. Given the cost of buying a "Smart" car, I consider the Yaris to be a "Smarter" car.

I agree with you about the Smart car. My wife and I thought about it way before the Yaris came out. No offense to anyone that has one, but I heard so many things about the Echo that I didn't want one. Not bad as in maintenance or anything, but in power and handling. Not that the Yaris is a supercar or ever will be, but it's fun. I never did get a chance to try the Echo though. Back to the Smart. I tried one, lots of room, would be great on gas...then there's the sticker shock. It was the middle one(can't remember the different levels) with A/C as the only option I think and it would have been over 23 with taxes and everything. On top of that, I used to drive a 91 Eagle Talon, so mashing the gas and waiting that extra second or so before the car decides to move was a problem. I didn't bother to take it on the highway, because I has already made up my mind. At the time, I thought I'd go for the Echo, because it was economical, good on gas and a Toyota. Then I heard about this funny sounding car"...Yaris?? What is that??" I then seen the pic and I was hooked right there. A salesman had shown me a bad picture of the Vitz and told me it would look something like that. My shopping was over. I had found the car I wanted!!
jcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 12:22 PM   #7
w1ngzer0

wow the smart car is 23k. Screw that... Another thing about the Yaris. Why does it feel so wide? I sware i was paranoid about chaning lanes.
Old 05-06-2006, 02:01 PM   #8
ricko

Drives: Copper-Orange Yaris RS
Wide??????? I thought it felt TALL when I test drove one, so I ordered the lowering springs. I was thinking, that widening the track would be nice.
ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 03:34 PM   #9
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Drives: Prius, Silver Yaris Liftback
The clutch travel is definitely longer than it was on my WRX, but I wouldn't really say it feels "sloppy".
Idjiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 04:56 PM   #10
w1ngzer0

I say sloppy because its not springy or stiff like my impreza. It feels like im smashing grapes with this clutch.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:58 PM   #11
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Drives: Prius, Silver Yaris Liftback
Feel fine to me. :shrug:
Idjiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 08:32 PM   #12
Leenis24
lil' town up north

Drives: 07 Yaris LB 5 speed Meteorite
You guys are compairing the yaris to impreza's. LOL.
Leenis24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 08:52 PM   #13
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
I like the clutch. It is very light, but that is not a bad thing. I don't need to get a workout while I am driving.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:34 PM   #14
AlphaFox

Drives: 07' Yaris Liftback - silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenis24
You guys are compairing the yaris to impreza's. LOL.
I know, right!
AlphaFox is offline   Reply With Quote