Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-26-2009, 08:10 PM   #1
jouna

Drives: jdm yaris sedan
Thumbs up HOW TO PUT THE 10K POTENCIOMETER AND A COUPLE OF MY MODS

this is the potenciometer trick it has to be a 10k potenciometer this is the hot shit right now with the yaris in pr. what this does is that it tricks the computer that the engine is -10 colder and it sends more fuel and it revs up preety fast and sucks more air for those of us who have cold air intake its a noticeable gain. don't have to run dynos cuz you can feel it...BUT you only turn it on while racing because if you leave it on it keeps sending fuel and when youre in a stop the car shuts down cuz it floods with fuel. think of it as a manual fuel regulator/faster rever/air suker thingy

first of unplug this sensor

then cut the red wire and put two wires to conenct the potenciometer then connect it back on

pass the wires inside the car and connect to the potenciometer

when you turn the car on it turns on like nothing happened. turn the potenciometer on ''clockwise'' till the end and the car revs up and the cool in the dash shows. thats how you know its put on correctly enjoy!!

anothe of my mods:
the famous 3' pbc CAI
top:

bottom: i put in the tip a little screen to keep out leaves and stuff when it rains i disconect it from the top and no problem

took these air hoses off so the engine can breathe better you can feel the difference and it sounds alot better

the header:

2 1/4 straight pipe from the header to the muffler and in the middle a cut out the cut out gives you like 9whp more so its a very good gain

and here's my baby. i still haven't finished the outside or the engine upgrades. i'm going 4 the black red theme for it
i hate it when they construct in the hood gets ma' ride dirty

gotta put some rims but gotta work with what i have... still... for hubcaps they look hottt lol
jouna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:02 PM   #2
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
You're car looks nice. Lovin the red on black

I don't know about the POTENCIOMETER though.. It sounds cool, but I'd be scared to put it in my car.. lol
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:23 PM   #3
whooppee777
I used to have 1700 posts

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Send a message via AIM to whooppee777
im going to skip the bashing and get straight to the point

r u aware of what hoses u removed and have u considered that the engineers at toyota put them there FOR A REASON!?

whooppee777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:30 PM   #4
xen555

Drives: 3 DOORS LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by whooppee777 View Post
im going to skip the bashing and get straight to the point

r u aware of what hoses u removed and have u considered that the engineers at toyota put them there FOR A REASON!?
yeah for the same reason of the throttle the air box the 15 tinny wheel the halogen ligth the n/a motor the 1NZFE the heavy weigth pulley and blah blah blah and we all changed at least two or three of those so why not???
xen555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:17 AM   #5
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
This is really dangeriouse. Google open loop and closed loop. You are forcing your vehicle into open loop so it is not in control of the fuel trim. Driving your car hard like this can cause damage to things. In open loop the computer disreguards o2 sensor readings and bases mostly on preset conditions to get the car to warm up as quickly as possible.

So basically you are wasting a extreme amount of gas causing catalitic converter damage due to running excessively rich. Fouling your spark plugs, excellerating carbon buildup on top of the pistons and valves which in turn will eventually cause you to loose more gas milage and power. So all in all a stupid mod. Not to mention this will void your warrenty.

Also by eliminating your PCV system ie positive crankcase ventilation. What do you think will happen to all that pressure. The most common cause of oil leaks in cars today is one either someone overfilled the engine with oil or 2 the PCV valve is clogged or stuck shut. Causing pressure buildup till it blows a seal usually the valve cover gasket or oil pan gasket will start to leak as a result. So by doing that you are causing yourself more problems. So by removing the pcv system i still dont understand how you think it will help your engine breath better??????

Not to bash you but it seems like you dont have a understanding of how vehicles work and function and what devices you are eliminating or trying to modify will have an effect on your car.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:33 AM   #6
1nz

Drives: Vios
Quote:
Originally Posted by jouna View Post
2 1/4 straight pipe from the header to the muffler and in the middle a cut out the cut out gives you like 9whp more so its a very good gain
You dyno'd the car already, meaning to say u remove the 2 cat and the resonator, straight pipe?

greddyvios.blogspot.com
1nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:13 AM   #7
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
So you figured out how to blow through more gas while idling.

Way to go you moron!
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:53 AM   #8
jouna

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
So you figured out how to blow through more gas while idling.

Way to go you moron!
o well thats not what xrs's say or mivecs when they kiss this morons ass
Old 03-27-2009, 07:55 AM   #9
jouna

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nz View Post
You dyno'd the car already, meaning to say u remove the 2 cat and the resonator, straight pipe?
i haven't done dyno yet but normaly this is what it gives to a car... i have a couple of friends that have different cars and its kind of the same gain
Old 03-27-2009, 08:07 AM   #10
jouna

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
This is really dangeriouse. Google open loop and closed loop. You are forcing your vehicle into open loop so it is not in control of the fuel trim. Driving your car hard like this can cause damage to things. In open loop the computer disreguards o2 sensor readings and bases mostly on preset conditions to get the car to warm up as quickly as possible.

So basically you are wasting a extreme amount of gas causing catalitic converter damage due to running excessively rich. Fouling your spark plugs, excellerating carbon buildup on top of the pistons and valves which in turn will eventually cause you to loose more gas milage and power. So all in all a stupid mod. Not to mention this will void your warrenty.

Also by eliminating your PCV system ie positive crankcase ventilation. What do you think will happen to all that pressure. The most common cause of oil leaks in cars today is one either someone overfilled the engine with oil or 2 the PCV valve is clogged or stuck shut. Causing pressure buildup till it blows a seal usually the valve cover gasket or oil pan gasket will start to leak as a result. So by doing that you are causing yourself more problems. So by removing the pcv system i still dont understand how you think it will help your engine breath better??????

Not to bash you but it seems like you dont have a understanding of how vehicles work and function and what devices you are eliminating or trying to modify will have an effect on your car.
first of i don't have a cat its straight to the back so no damage there
second im not so stupid to overflow my engine with oil
it breathes better cuz there are no stupid factory hoses interrupting the air flow
third if you wanna race with good cars fuck the warranty this sport is not cheap. if i blow a gasket trying to race a nigga ill blow 100'
when the potenciometer is on the computer reads the engine -10 and when is off its normal the engine is not hotter i cheked it myself with a obd2 reader if u guys are scared or doing it well i'm not
Old 03-27-2009, 08:12 AM   #11
Castaway

Drives: 2008 Yaris hb 2d
Nice work Jouna, how long do you expect the engine will last?
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:51 AM   #12
jouna

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
Nice work Jouna, how long do you expect the engine will last?
its gonna last enough cuz im getting a 2zzfe
Old 03-27-2009, 08:54 AM   #13
jouna

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
right.... so when your car catches fire can you post a DIY on fire suppression on the Yaris?

btw it's spelled potentiometer in english.
sorry for not spelling it right. im used to write on spanish

btw why is it going to catch fire again?
Old 03-27-2009, 08:55 AM   #14
jouna

so where do those hoses go anyway cuz frankly a guy told me it worker and he did it himself if they cause so much problem well i might as well put them back on please put me in the right direction
Old 03-27-2009, 09:03 AM   #15
Castaway

Drives: 2008 Yaris hb 2d
Quote:
Originally Posted by jouna View Post
its gonna last enough cuz im getting a 2zzfe
And will you make the same sane and smart mods on your next engine?
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:07 AM   #16
jouna

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
And will you make the same sane and smart mods on your next engine?

lol...
Old 03-27-2009, 09:09 AM   #17
jouna

if u guys know so much what should i do?? and can somebody tell me where those damn hoses go if they cause so much problem
Old 03-27-2009, 10:47 AM   #18
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
I'm with YarisSedan in ways that their needs to be more knowledge there, but guys, i can honestly not see a problem with what he is doing. I mean yeah its a new car, but people have been doing this for years. We did it a while ago on my buddies old Sentra SE-R and removed the whole AIV system and the car ran alot better. If you are worried, you can always vent the engine like Honda guys do it.

The only thing i find ridiculous you do not know is that the intake you are using will screw your performance. You're going from big small big small big again, and think how the air likes that? It likes one straight same sized shot all the way to the engine to have undistrubed velocity.

Potentiometer is a good trick, but not recommended unless you are racing like he said. Think when the engine is cold it does increase spark and fuel, good for an extra spurt, but not good if you spend an hour or two with it on like that, but sure, while racing thats fine.

The header and exhaust are nice, but i doubt the little engine would net 9hp from a cutout. I have open dumps in my audi and it loses torque low but rips it up high, for something on this application you might lose hp in low and gain 2 up top.

Everyone has to remember they do it different in PR.
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote