Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-27-2007, 11:33 PM   #1
SeriousBlack

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS HB
Thin Line or Slim Subs

Has anyone done an install with a shallow mount sub with slim sealed box? I'm curious as to how satisfied you were with the sound compared to a conventional larger box or fg set up. I'm contemplating the 12" Pioneer Model #TS-SW1241D with the sealed box or possibly the smaller 10" TS-SW1041D.

JL Audio is also due to release a new Thin Line sub later this year (TW5) which looks really promising.

Appreciate the response/feedback.
SeriousBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 11:37 PM   #2
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
i bet Mark aka Spkrman will be all over this one
Old 05-28-2007, 06:14 PM   #3
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
most of them are a waste of $ unlesss you are absolutely required to use something of that dimension. You still need a decent size box for them, and they are unremarkable in regards to output and quality... comparable to a low line woofer that adds all of 2-3" of mounting depth.

Save your $, get something more typical.
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 04:05 AM   #4
SeriousBlack

thanks for the opinion
Old 05-29-2007, 07:09 AM   #5
Carvin'07
Selling all mods

Drives: '07 Bayou Blue - totally stock
Exclamation

Hey SeriousBlack,

I know this is not exactly your question, but I personally run a standard 12" Infinity Reference with a Rockford Fosgate Punch 100x2 bridged mono into a very small box. Total volume is around 0.7 cubic feet sealed. I know it is not the ideal box, but let me get into my explanation below.

In my opinion, if you want to save space and can sacrifice overall volume, go with a smaller box setup. If you are familliar with big hard-hitting bass, you will notice that the low frequency (especially <60 Hz) are quieter. That said, the top end response is tighter in a box of this size depending on how well sealed your box is. My box is so well sealed that if I depress the cone 0.5", it takes ~40 seconds for it to return to position!

This setup hits moderately hard (the sub is actually the limitation...the amp has LOTS more juice...I used to run two JL DVC 12W6s in a ported box that blew my brains out...).

All that to say: you don't have to run a box that is built to the spec size.

Cheers,
Carvin'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1060473.JPG (105.4 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg P1060474.JPG (110.1 KB, 92 views)
Carvin'07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:05 AM   #6
SeriousBlack

Hey Carvin' - thanks for the input and pics. I once did the same for an old kenwood sub a few years back. Having thought it all out - and knowing I can live w/o the spare in my situation - I'm leaning to a fiberglass set up that will minimize weight but still give me cargo space. I'll post pics when it's done.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:52 AM   #7
Carvin'07
Selling all mods

Drives: '07 Bayou Blue - totally stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBlack View Post
Hey Carvin' - thanks for the input and pics. I once did the same for an old kenwood sub a few years back. Having thought it all out - and knowing I can live w/o the spare in my situation - I'm leaning to a fiberglass set up that will minimize weight but still give me cargo space. I'll post pics when it's done.
No problem...I plan to do the same in the very near future to free up my cargo space.

Cheers

Toyota CD player (mint) for sale see thread in For Sale section
Carvin'07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:11 PM   #8
sort_o_sane
Yaris GSR LOL

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch
Can someone post a pic or give a great description of where to run the power line through the firewall? Can't find the hole...