Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-16-2007, 10:45 AM   #1
falkor_99

Drives: 07 Yaris Blue HB
Send a message via AIM to falkor_99
Question High RPM's in 3rd. Need some opinions

Alright everyday I go to work I go the same way and everytime I turn down the same road and get to 3rd gear it stays in third for a very long time. I'll get up to about 45 mph and sometimes it goes into 4th gear but most of the time it just stays in third until I let off the gas and it drops to like 30 mph. It is really strange and I am not sure what is going on . So if anyone understands what I am talking about, let me know. Thanks
falkor_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:53 AM   #2
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
I take it your car is an automatic? I had an old '91 Eclipse that had a similar glitch. Most of the time it wouldn't go into 4th... hell, I didn't even know it had a 4th gear for weeks after buying it! One day I was just running down the road and outta' nowhere the rpm's dropped again. That's when I knew something was up. It had electronically controlled gear changes (like the Yaris), and turns out there was a short that was preventing the 4th gear from ever kicking in. Never did get it fixed (took it to an independent shop that royally screwed me over, wound up having to sell the car after 2 botched "repairs").

~YR
Old 05-16-2007, 12:07 PM   #3
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
bro your auto works almost the same as the manual if i was correct.. the way for you to go on higher rpm is to step hard and not let go of the gas pedal...with auto it still shifts way b4 the red line but its how you get up the ur max torque and hp..ciao!
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:23 PM   #4
PSU Yaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan S
sometimes your car will do that if its an automatic, and the engine is cold (the green "low temp engine coolant light" will be on)
PSU Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote