Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > UK
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-31-2015, 07:03 PM   #1
ianmak

Drives: Toyota Yaris Mk1
Noobie Advice Needed

Hi,

Just wanted some advice really, probably more generic advice about wheel bearings than Yaris specific, unless there's something I'm not aware of.

I have a '01 Yaris, it's of an age where things need replacing on a regular basis (which I understand!). In the last year I've had both front bearings replaced, and now after driving 200 miles on a motorway there's another very loud humming noise that's just appeared, starting at around 40mph and increasing noise all the way up to 70mph.

The tyres needed replacing at the front anyway so I've just had those done today, as it couldn't possibly be more bearings! And it's still making a very loud humming/droning noise. Doesn't make a difference when turning, and I'll try the wheel grab test in the morning.

Just wanted to know if anyone could suggest anything? Is there any precedence for bearings being faulty from new, or overheating on a long journey (the last bearing fail/noise started on another long trip a few months ago).

Could it be anything else? Tracking, engine probs?

Cheers!

Ian
ianmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:31 AM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
likely the rear bearings, depending where the noise is coming from
Old 11-03-2015, 10:57 AM   #3
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmak View Post

The tyres needed replacing at the front anyway so I've just had those done today, as it couldn't possibly be more bearings! And it's still making a very loud humming/droning noise. Doesn't make a difference when turning, and I'll try the wheel grab test in the morning.
Oh yes it could be the front bearings if the shop botched it. How long since they were done mileswise?
Old 11-04-2015, 06:55 PM   #4
ianmak

Thanks chaps. Ended up being the off side front bearing which the garage did in February. It had done around 10k since then. They said it was a faulty bearing and covered it under the part warranty. At least that's what they blamed it on! So didn't have to pay a thing thankfully.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:43 AM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
YES! YES! YES!

bronsin is right AGAIN!

bronsin is going to get that 6th star any day now...
Old 11-05-2015, 10:51 AM   #6
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
YES! YES! YES!

bronsin is right AGAIN!

bronsin is going to get that 6th star any day now...
I'm taking partial credit for stating it was likely a bearing

plus I'm now working on my 4th star so I'm looking for anything I can get
Old 06-29-2016, 01:38 PM   #7
ianmak

More advice needed...

Apparently the radiators are notorious with mk1 yaris for getting damaged by stone chippings etc. Now I bought ours over four years ago when it was already 11 years old, and noted then some damage (holes in the cooling fins?). A garage suggested a replacement 2 years ago, and now a shop have a sale on so I'm thinking of getting replacement radiator and doing it myself.

My question is, does it really need replacing if it's not leaking or overheating? Should I just wait till then?

Oh something else to note is that the coolant needs replacing anyway (not been done in 4 years and done 60k since then), hence why I'm thinking of replacing rad at the same time.

Cheers for any advice!
Old 10-17-2017, 02:00 PM   #8
hairygityeti
Sir Rustalot

Drives: Toyota Yaris silver 2000 reg
I have a mark 1 Yaris and iv just replaced 2 wheel bearings as well among many other things ,This years MOT Cost £230 for repairs and £30 for the MOT