Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > UK
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-06-2019, 08:32 AM   #1
rileyrme

Drives: Yaris
Buying a 2003 Yaris

Hi, this is my first post and wonder if anyone can give me some hints on what to look out for buying a Yaris ?
The car is one owner and has covered 8500 miles. It's been maintained by a garage and is in good condition bodily.
I'm OKAY doing basic repairs and have an idea what to look out for but wonder if there is anything I should specially be concerned with?
It has a fault with the central locking on the front passenger door. It locks and unlocks, but not with the remote. I'm not too bothered as I think the actuator's gone and I can change this myself.
I'm buying this a second car, we already have a 2009 D4D Yaris that we've owned from new. Apart from tyres and service costs it's the only money we've spent on it since we bought it. It's brilliant little car and we intend to keep it.
rileyrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:42 AM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Question is why does it only have 8500 miles?

For the keyless entry, if it works with the center console, it likely just needs to rebind or maybe the keyless module is broken.

Best have the car inspected by a mechanics you trust.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2019, 11:26 AM   #3
rileyrme

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
Question is why does it only have 8500 miles?

For the keyless entry, if it works with the center console, it likely just needs to rebind or maybe the keyless module is broken.

Best have the car inspected by a mechanics you trust.

Sorry! my error, I missed off a zero, It has done 85000 miles.
Difficult with a mechanic, I don't know any so wouldn't know how good they are. Our D4D Yaris is looked after by the main dealer so I've not had dealings with an independent mechanic.
I'm fairly competent fixing cars and was really hoping I'd find out any known weaknesses with the early models. Thanks for your suggestions.
rileyrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 12:06 PM   #4
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
There is nothing much with these cars. In France. They should be mostly rust free.

Leaky exhaust gasket donut
Weak pressure plate
Weak water pump

I don't think there is anything much with the first gen Yaris.

If your power door locks button is in the center console, by the shifter, your locking module should be behind the cluster on the left side. Then the keyless module should be behind the dash speaker, attached to the firewall. At least if it is made like the north American model.