Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > UK
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-04-2013, 07:04 AM   #1
barfart

Drives: Yaris Mk 1
Changing Rear Wiper Arm

So, the plastic part of the rear wiper arm on my 2004 Yaris (French build) cracked and the arm dropped down off the window. So, I removed the arm and was left with what appears to be a knurled metal ferrule still on the wiper spindle. The replacement arm has a copper coloured ferrule in it so the one still one the spindle has to come off, but it wont. I've tried spraying it with WD40 and pulling it off using a wiper arm puller tool - the tool just slips off from behind the ferrule.
Has anyone encountered this problem before? How do you get this piece of the original arm off the spindle? Cut it off? Heat? Any advice gratefully accepted.

PS: The VIN plate of my vehicle starts with VNK and the original wiper arm had 'Made in France' on it so I'm pretty sure I've identified the parts I need correctly.
barfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:33 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Can you post a picture of the part that won't come off?
Old 04-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
barfart

Yep can do that.

Hopefully its clear that the image on the left is showing the piece that I believe should come off. The middle one is showing the broken arm without the ferrule which I believe should have come off with it, and the right image is showing the replacement part.

Thanks

Old 04-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
OK. That looks to be very well bonded with corrosion. I would keep hitting it with penetrating oil, and if that doesn't help to break its bond, I would slit the side of it with an abrasive disc with a rotary hand tool.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
barfart

OK, thats what I figured CTScott, didn't want to start cutting away before I picked someone else's brains first.

Thanks for your help.

[Edit]

Well its off! Ground one side flat with a cutting disc and then a quick twist with a swan-neck plier and off it came. Never thought I'd have to take a cutter to a windscreen wiper before but hey ho.

Last edited by barfart; 04-05-2013 at 04:36 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:52 AM   #6
ArmDtM
I've made a post!

Drives: Silver Toyota Yaris 2005
I had a similar problem and managed to get it off.

My issue now is that the new one I have, which is identical to the one you have, won’t fit on at all, despite that aluminium thing being off. I’m not sure if I’m supposed to force it through the hole or not.

Anyone have any advice? Could it be the wrong size or does it need to be yanked on?
ArmDtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:41 AM   #7
Yaris Will

Drives: 2005 Yaris Hatchback
Changing Rear Wiper Arm

Hi ArmDtM,

I have exactly the same problem! How did you resolve the problem in the end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmDtM View Post
I had a similar problem and managed to get it off.

My issue now is that the new one I have, which is identical to the one you have, won’t fit on at all, despite that aluminium thing being off. I’m not sure if I’m supposed to force it through the hole or not.

Anyone have any advice? Could it be the wrong size or does it need to be yanked on?
Yaris Will is offline   Reply With Quote