Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > UK
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-08-2016, 07:05 AM   #1
ianmak

Drives: Toyota Yaris Mk1
Fuel smell and idle speed

Hi,

I have a 2001 1.0 Yaris. On a longish journey recently I recently experienced a pungent fuel smell in the cabin. It keeps happening but only after driving for 30-60 mins. Doesn't do it on short journeys. Maybe related is the low idle (under 1k) that rattles the whole car. Fuel problems happens with full and empty tank, so wondered if it could be mixture related, but hey I'm no expert. Only other thing is that I replaced the rad a few months ago and the problem started a few weeks after. Please help!
ianmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 09:39 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
When you smell the fuel smell while driving pull over in a safe place so you can get on the ground in front of the car and look under the engine and also, the whole length of the car from front to back. You ll be looking for dripping fuel. Leave the engine running. Make sure its in Park or use the parking brake so you dont get runned over!

I suspect its a fuel line someplace but take the car to a shop and show them where the leak is. Its also possible there something wrong with the fuel vapor storage system.

Good luck and to help others with the same problem, tell us what you discover the problem to be!
Old 10-23-2016, 11:26 AM   #3
ianmak

Hi thanks for this, not been able to see any leaks. Could it be the charcoal filter? Maybe its blocked?
Old 10-23-2016, 11:36 AM   #4
07dirtyaris
&

Drives: meteorite metal 07 Hatch
Could it be an exhaust leak. If it's before o2 sensor it can affect your idle. That could also give you that fuel smell as well. Before I redid my exhaust my cabin smelled like fuel from an exhaust leak.

Good luck with finding your problem. Let us know what you find out.
07dirtyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 04:04 PM   #5
ianmak

Took it to a garage who replace a plug or two, air filter, and cleaned the charcoal canister. All was well until driving down the motorway. I don't think it is a leak. Will replace the petrol cap and see what happens, then will look at purge valves, outlet pipes etc.

Unrelated but I was driving down said motorway and drove over what I thought was a bit of plastic but was really a large rock! Couldn't avoid it as it appeared out of nowhere. I guess over cars managed to drive over it. Incredibly lucky that it missed the sump and other vitals. Looks like it's dented part of the exhaust and large scrapes on the frame. Taking it to another garage to be checked over tomorrow so will ask about the smell then too. :-/
Old 10-17-2017, 02:06 PM   #6
hairygityeti
Sir Rustalot

Drives: Toyota Yaris silver 2000 reg
I had a leak in my fuel tank ( rust ) showed as a dark patch on the rusty service.Only found it because of the smell in the cabin.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:14 PM   #7
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairygityeti View Post
I had a leak in my fuel tank ( rust ) showed as a dark patch on the rusty service.Only found it because of the smell in the cabin.
Holy thread revival.

The Yaris have a plastic gas tank if I remember.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2017, 06:17 PM   #8
hairygityeti
Sir Rustalot

Drives: Toyota Yaris silver 2000 reg
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
Holy thread revival.

The Yaris have a plastic gas tank if I remember.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
No the mk1 has a steel tank sadly,but good question has entered my head ......can you replace the steel tank with a newer model plastic tank?.....anyone?