Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-24-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
jetstopi
I've made a post!

Drives: RX-8
Planning to buy a Yaris

Hey everyone, I'm planning to buy a 2009 Yaris 5-door Hatchback automatic base model with power package. I wanted to get the best deal possible, so I was wondering if you guys had any tips or opinions that would help me in this car buying process. I'm planning to pay it all in cash. I don't really know how to haggle well. So yeah, any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
jetstopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Right now sounds like the best time to buy from everything I hear. All the dealerships are overstocked on little cars since gas prices dropped.

The power package is up to you, but you can get an aftermarket setup cheaper, unless they throw it in for cheap/free. Same goes with pretty much every option. You can always get nicer or cheaper options after.

Believe it or not, paying cash will actually hurt your ability to haggle in most cases. Dealerships make a lot of money off of financing cars, and they will be more willing to take off 500 or 1000 bucks if you are paying 7 grand in interest. With that said, a lot of toyota dealerships are doing 0% financing, which may mean they won't have so much of a problem with cash.

As for haggling, go to a nissan or honda dealership, get a quote on a fit or versa, and bring that in. The thought of losing a sale to a competitor kills salesmen. Play it off like you are really interested in the other car, and are still deciding between a yaris and a versa. Go at the end of the month, when salesmen are scraping for quotas. Don't be afraid to walk away and come back. The extended warranty really isn't worth it. My yaris had exactly 0 problems between 36 and 72k miles.

Last piece of advice is BUY THE YARIS. You won't regret it.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 03:52 PM   #3
SpaceShot

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5 speed HB
First do your research. Edmunds.com, kbb.com, carsdirect.com and find what that model is going for in that area.
If you can, use a group car buying program like Costco or one through any employment or group association you might have.
Otherwise get an Internet price quote from 2 of the dealers you are willing to work with.

In my case the Costco quote included the $575 destination charge that was left off the email quote, so I wasn't as surprised when I arrived at the showroom.

If you don't have a dealer that you are looking at, try getting a salesman recommendation from another recent Yaris purchaser. (perhaps by posting here, and offer to split the referral fee)
You might get an extra $50 or $100 (good gas money) and at the very least you'll be dealing with someone that knows you've checked this out and are more aware of the real price than the average person coming through the door.
SpaceShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:15 PM   #4
gambit

Drives: 2007 Polar White HB
hey jet-

you have a lot of local dealers that you email with your wish list (Carson Toyota, South Bay, Cerritos, Downey, Norwalk, Long Beach, Cabe Brothers)

however, be sure to check out Longo Toyota. Yeah, it will be a bit of drive, so you might want to call ahead and talk with a sales rep - do this after you get your best quote (Longo wants to stay #1 and they should be very willing to deal on price).

good luck!
gambit is offline   Reply With Quote