Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-28-2009, 12:47 PM   #1
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Its sad that people will do something like this on Christmas...

So for those that don't know I work as a service writer in a complex with several automotive shops. We all worked thursday and closed friday of course and came back saturday. 2 out of the 5 shops here were also closed saturday for the holidays.

When we came in saturday for some reason the lights were not working in the back. Turns out they were hooked to a seperate circuit breaker. Called PGE there were no outages. About to call a electrician out when one of our techs checked out the power panel in the back of the building and found the lock broken and a bunch of switches flipped. Strange we thought to ourselfs maybe someone was trying to play a prank or something.

Our bathroom for our shop is at the very end of the complex so i went to walk down to use it when i noticed one of the other shops pull up doors was open a few feet and resting on a chair. I didnt see his car in the parking lot. So went to look inside to find the place trashed.

We called him and he laughed and hung up thinking we were just playing a joke. Had to call him back again telling him it was no joke. When he came down we found out they stole his computer system. They stole all his tools from his tool box. About 45k worth of hand tools. Stole most of his inventory pretty much anything of value.

I cant believe someone would do this on christmas. Sad thing too even though he can report to insurance they wont cover full value of tools. Since some of them he has had for years they will only give a pro rated value which wont come close to what it will cost him to replace everything.

Also his computer system is pretty much invaluable because it has all his customers database in there. All there service records and history.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:57 PM   #2
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
That is awful!

And also points out the value of backing up computer data, kept in a safe place where fire and theft won't wipe it out.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:47 PM   #3
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Also his computer system is pretty much invaluable because it has all his customers database in there. All there service records and history.
This is why I don't like giving out a lot of personal information.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:28 PM   #4
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Yes, it certainly sucks and I feel for the guy, but like Yaris Hilton said, anyone that doesn't back up their data will surely lose it eventually.

As for tool replacements, his best bet will be to hit pawn shops. He can get entire sets of tools for pennies on the dollar, and would be replacing used tools with used tools. It should be cheap enough to cover with the insurance funds.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:30 PM   #5
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
As for tool replacements, his best bet will be to hit pawn shops. He can get entire sets of tools for pennies on the dollar, and would be replacing used tools with used tools. It should be cheap enough to cover with the insurance funds.
Ya, between the pawn shops and craigslist he might even be able to get all of HIS tools back.

Sucks to hear, especially with the economy as bad as it is... small businesses can't take hits like this.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:06 PM   #6
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Yeah i told him to try to check craigslist. He might even see some familiar tools and catch the culprit as well. Unfortunately lots of stolens items are pawned off on craigslist. He has his initials ingraved in his tools so wont be too hard to prove they are his.

I cant imagine ever having my tools stolen. Some of his tools he has had for over 20 years. Even though they are replaced its like a old friend. You are used to the same tools you have been using time and time again that has the familiar scratch and tear in the handle from when you last used it. Using someone elses is just not really the same.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:25 PM   #7
toyo

Drives: toyota
damn sad story, those guys will pay the bill, trust me

btw, who are you refering to in your story, the guy who lost his tools?
Old 12-28-2009, 11:54 PM   #8
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Sad.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:41 AM   #9
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Druggies don't celebrate Christmas, they have no calendar.

I would certainly look for the tools, and call the cops the minute I found them, have the guy charged with theft. I am too old to take a round out of them myself, but I would likely hire someone to do it for me...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:22 PM   #10
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
Kick his ass and citizens arrest! Best justice there.
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:21 PM   #11
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
One word: KARMA

Just wait for it

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote