Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > UK
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-30-2010, 06:21 AM   #1
Lettuce
I've made a post!

Drives: 54 Yaris 1.0 VVTi
'54 T2 Yaris 1.0 VVTi automatic clutch / gearbox / starting problem

Hello all.

I have owned a 54-plate T2 Yaris 1.0-litre VVTi automatic (multi-mode transmission) since December 2009. It had done 30,000 miles when I purchased it and it's now on 36,000 miles.

I would like to know if anyone has had a bad experience, or knows of this as a common problem, with the clutch and gearbox.

I will explain what happens... I get in the car, gear position is Neutral, foot on the brake, and start the engine (no problem). Occasionally, when moving the gear position to E (Drive / "Easy Mode"), the car fails to properly engage this gear. The car jolts quite violently. The car beeps repeatedly but will not go into E-mode. It will also not go into R (Reverse). It will not go into M (Manual-mode). I return the lever back to N and all beeping stops. I turn the car off and remove the key. Back to square one, foot on the brake, go to start the car but absolutely nothing. It doesn't even try to turn over. I try to select R, E and M, but nothing, it just beeps and the display still shows N. The cog with the "!" in it lights up. Eventually, after moving the gear selector to all four positions, it returns to normal and the car starts.

It feels like when I initially change from N to E, the gear gets stuck halfway inbetween these gears, and locks. It throws the computer off because it isn't in one or the other, so it refuses to start the engine. I have noticed that it happens only when the engine is warm, and when I have been using the vehicle for an hour or so (i.e been driving the car, getting it hot, stuck in traffic, etc... Then stop the car for a few minutes, then start her up and try to select E). It seems that when the car cools down (usually about an hour) is when the stuck gear returns to normal and I can start the engine again).

This has happened about eight times from when I bought the car, until now. It has been to the dealership who cannot find anything wrong with it. It has been up to the local Toyota garage, and they can't find anything wrong with it.

It has got the point where I am nervous to select E everytime I start the car.

I just want to know if this is a common problem, or what I can do about it, and if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks,
Lettuce
Lettuce is offline   Reply With Quote