Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-01-2016, 11:06 PM   #1
Idahotom

Drives: 2008 5 sp. LB
The rear view mirror is your best friend!

When I leave my workplace, I have a 13 mile drive home. After 3 miles I have a choice, stay on the "old highway", or get on the interstate. They run side by side, so no difference in miles. The Old Highway is posted 45 mph, most drive it 48-52 mph, the interstate is 80 mph. Depending on the day in town I've just had, and how soon I want to get the hell outa town, I'll often get on I-15 and drive it 60-65 mph, especially if there is a car or two in front of me driving especially slow, below the 45 per limit, on the old hwy, when I come to the I-15 on ramp. Rather then dawdle below 45 when I really want to get home, I'll hop on the big road and just drive it slow.

After 8 miles, my small town off ramp comes up, I had the cruise control set at 62, and the traffic was light (rural area). Only from force of habit did I glance in my rear view mirror before I hit the right turn signal while at the same time killing the cruise control. I noticed a black full sized SUV some distance behind me, and it appeared to be closing fast. No big deal, there was no one in the fast lane, ( I also keep an eye on that) no reason the SUV couldn't pass me on the left and continue on it's way while I took the off ramp without dropping its high rate of speed.

For whatever reason, as I slowed slightly below 60 just about 50 yds from the 45 mph off ramp, I looked again and saw the SUV closure rate had continued, and it had not changed lanes. My first thought was "some asshole is going to buzz me as he blows my doors off", no big deal. Again, keep in mind the SUV had nobody except me to deal with, I wasn't slowing it down or getting in it's way. Now, about 25 yds from the off ramp itself, it continued to rapidly close, and right at the very last split second I realized it was going to hit me if I didn't take evasive action. I swerved to the right, onto the shoulder, just as the SUV swerved to the left, then it went into a series of swerves left/right while in the fast lane, nearly rolling. Now we were along side each other, and I thought for sure it was going over. To the drivers credit, the swerves damped out and the SUV got back under control and we had a brief moment of side by side eye contact. The lady driver made a series of hand movements that I took to mean "thank God you were watching your rear mirror, my bad, your initial swerve woke me the hell up, and I was able (barely), to miss rear ending you." I, to my credit, gave her a friendly wave, "it's cool, we're OK, that's the important thing".

I rode motorcycles too many years to not check my ass end before slowing, and man it really paid off today.
Idahotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 10:34 AM   #2
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
I'm betting it was yet another idiot smartphone addict who was too busy playing with that device in some fashion to actually pay attention and drive properly. Defensive driving is more important than ever in a world overflowing with these irresponsible morons.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:37 AM   #3
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
I call 'em cellphone zombies

self centered
me me me

justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 03:33 PM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
One of the often overlooked ways you can get killed/f ed up.

My wife, daughter and son don't ride motorcycles and have had about six reared era between them.

Sorry for the spelling I have an I pad.

I do ride an haven't had any. Wife even stops for yellow lites in spite of my screams!
Old 06-03-2016, 12:49 AM   #5
Idahotom

It always blows me away when people hit the brakes without a turn signal, and they never check their 6, not biker riders for sure.

Today when I got in the Yaris to go to work, I had a renewed appreciation for it, no dents in it, not totaled anyway!
Old 06-03-2016, 08:41 PM   #6
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
Wow. I thought we had all the idiot drivers here...
Old 06-04-2016, 11:35 AM   #7
jack black

Drives: 2007 red Yaris HB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahotom View Post
the interstate is 80 mph.
Quote:
For whatever reason, as I slowed slightly below 60
no excuse for the SUV driver, but driving too slow on interstate is asking for trouble.
jack black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:52 PM   #8
Idahotom

There is a port of entry just up from where this happened, 1/4 mile away, same lane, so semi's are pulling out at 45 mph all the time in the area. I'll be damned if I'm going to drive it 80, the speed limit. I was going a bit over 60, had the cruise set, and only bumped it off and fell to 58 or so about 100' before the downhill off ramp. Not only am I not going to cruise at 80, I'm not going to take the off ramp at 80 and then slam on the brakes. I get your point, (and why I use my mirror) but 60+ ain't too damn slow, the SUV driver was totally at fault. With the mountains in our areas often times the big rigs, including me when driving my crane, are lucky to maintain 45, so drivers like the one in that SUV have no excuse for running up someones tailpipe, other then inattention.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:48 PM   #9
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
There is a port of entry just up from where this happened, 1/4 mile away, same lane, so semi's are pulling out at 45 mph all the time in the area. I'll be damned if I'm going to drive it 80, the speed limit. I was going a bit over 60, had the cruise set, and only bumped it off and fell to 58 or so about 100' before the downhill off ramp. Not only am I not going to cruise at 80, I'm not going to take the off ramp at 80 and then slam on the brakes. I get your point, (and why I use my mirror) but 60+ ain't too damn slow, the SUV driver was totally at fault. With the mountains in our areas often times the big rigs, including me when driving my crane, are lucky to maintain 45, so drivers like the one in that SUV have no excuse for running up someones tailpipe, other then inattention.
Yeah, I never understood people who fly onto off ramps (or down roads in general, weaving in and out of lanes) and then slam on their brakes right before every light. I take my foot off the gas a bit when I see a red light ahead (or when hitting an off ramp) and let my car slow itself down a bit on its own, and most of the time the light is turning green as I get to it (meaning I only have to drop to 2nd or 3rd gear and continue on my way). It saves gas, saves unnecessary shifting/clutch-wear, brake wear, etc. - but it sure does seem to piss off the aggressive primate drivers who just can't wait to get to that red light to slam on their brakes.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:05 AM   #10
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
Yeah, I never understood people who fly onto off ramps (or down roads in general, weaving in and out of lanes) and then slam on their brakes right before every light. I take my foot off the gas a bit when I see a red light ahead (or when hitting an off ramp) and let my car slow itself down a bit on its own, and most of the time the light is turning green as I get to it (meaning I only have to drop to 2nd or 3rd gear and continue on my way). It saves gas, saves unnecessary shifting/clutch-wear, brake wear, etc. - but it sure does seem to piss off the aggressive primate drivers who just can't wait to get to that red light to slam on their brakes.
You sound like a rational person. You have no business being on the road.
NYC-SE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:26 AM   #11
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
The lady driver made a series of hand movements that I took to mean "thank God you were watching your rear mirror, my bad, your initial swerve woke me the hell up, and I was able (barely), to miss rear ending you." I, to my credit, gave her a friendly wave, "it's cool, we're OK, that's the important thing".
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote