Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Hawaii
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-14-2018, 01:57 PM   #19
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
No dealer here in AZ even stocked the SE trim Yaris hatch in 2018 thus far, nor have any plans to going forward. Even the L/LE hatch are scarce as hell (a token one at the dealership, if any at all). Plenty of crappy iA-version Yaris (Mazda2 rebadge) available though. I would have actually considered getting a blending-black 2018+ SE hatch on impulse if it was locally available or within several hundred miles, but I am not really interested in having to go out-of-state again to find the car that I want, like I did with my manual 2015 SE (dealers in AZ stopped stocking the manual Yaris in any trim after 2014). What a sad state of affairs in the U.S. for such a reliable, elegantly-simple, great little car. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Toyota discontinued the Yaris hatch here in the U.S. soon, or only imported it (L/LE trim) in limited quantities for sales to rental-fleet companies.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:56 PM   #20
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbowl View Post
Spotted a rare 2018 Yaris at Home Depot.
It looked great in person. Except the poor thing was covered in bird doodoo.
There is still one 2018 Yaris left in Hawaii at the dealership. It's a silver SE trim with manual transmission. A sales manager said the next batch of Yaris is slated to arrive in March 2019.
Wow. Nice find. I have yet to see one on Oahu.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:10 AM   #21
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Drives: Hatchbacks
I heard the VW Golf R was scarce in Hawaii, but I see them fairly regularly.

That 2018 Yaris, on the other hand, was a true rarity. My wife thought I was nuts for taking a photo of it.
bradbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:21 AM   #22
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
No dealer here in AZ even stocked the SE trim Yaris hatch in 2018 thus far, nor have any plans to going forward. Even the L/LE hatch are scarce as hell (a token one at the dealership, if any at all). Plenty of crappy iA-version Yaris (Mazda2 rebadge) available though. I would have actually considered getting a blending-black 2018+ SE hatch on impulse if it was locally available or within several hundred miles, but I am not really interested in having to go out-of-state again to find the car that I want, like I did with my manual 2015 SE (dealers in AZ stopped stocking the manual Yaris in any trim after 2014). What a sad state of affairs in the U.S. for such a reliable, elegantly-simple, great little car. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Toyota discontinued the Yaris hatch here in the U.S. soon, or only imported it (L/LE trim) in limited quantities for sales to rental-fleet companies.
Wow, I figured every state would have more selection than Hawaii. I think we would get more of them if they were still manufactured in Japan, but having to come from France is a big deterrent to our dealerships. At least, that's what I've been told when I asked why they don't carry them.

I really hope they don't discontinue it, but I agree, Toyota's interests seem to be in promoting the "Yaris" sedan now.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:25 PM   #23
fujiwaru

Drives: 08 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Spotted a rare 2018 Yaris at Home Depot.

It looked great in person. Except the poor thing was covered in bird doodoo.

There is still one 2018 Yaris left in Hawaii at the dealership. It's a silver SE trim with manual transmission. A sales manager said the next batch of Yaris is slated to arrive in March 2019.
I don't think i've seen any new Yaris models on the road since i've seen it at the First Hawaiian Auto show.
fujiwaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:27 AM   #24
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujiwaru View Post
I don't think i've seen any new Yaris models on the road since i've seen it at the First Hawaiian Auto show.
Same here. Haven't seen any 2018+ Yaris hatchbacks of any trim level in Phoenix area yet (outside of a token L at a dealership for sale). None of the dealers have even stocked a single 2018 Yaris SE since they were released (& don't plan to), so the only way they will ever be present in Arizona is if someone brings one in from another state. Talk about a unicorn vehicle, lol.

Pretty sad, considering a (black) Yaris SE hatch is still at the top of my list over any other new car out there. Nothing else interests me due to unwanted design/feature decisions on the part of automakers. I really do NOT want a traditional CVT, straight direct injection engine, push-button start, remote automatic unlock/start of vehicle via fob, all those stupid sensor 'safety features' that belong only in self-driving cars or perhaps in cars driven by bad/stupid drivers, etc. The Yaris (SE) hatch is almost a dream car in terms of avoiding that garbage, and getting what I do want - plus still looks sharp in black.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:58 PM   #25
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
The Yaris (SE) hatch is almost a dream car in terms of avoiding that garbage, and getting what I do want - plus still looks sharp in black.
Black is pretty sleek, BUT it may not go well with your black Menacing Cat vinyl decal.

I hope your dealerships bring in some 2019s for you to check out. Assuming there will be a 2019 Yaris hatchback.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:47 AM   #26
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

The July 2018 Toyota sales report was just released and the Yaris hatchback accounts for a whopping 0.073% of total Toyota sales in the US for 2018 to-date.

Comparison data for 2018:

239,485 Rav4 sold
205,106 Camry sold
188,216 Corolla sold
1,712 Land Cruiser (an $85,000 Toyota) sold
1,033 Yaris hatchback sold (-86% vs 2017)

I'm thinking Collector's item!
Old 08-03-2018, 07:43 PM   #27
Kalispel

Quote:
The July 2018 Toyota sales report was just released and the Yaris hatchback accounts for a whopping 0.073% of total Toyota sales in the US for 2018 to-date.

Comparison data for 2018:

239,485 Rav4 sold
205,106 Camry sold
188,216 Corolla sold
1,712 Land Cruiser (an $85,000 Toyota) sold
1,033 Yaris hatchback sold (-86% vs 2017)

I'm thinking Collector's item!
Pretty sad, for such a great little car. In this segment here in the U.S., PRICE/ECONOMY IS EVERYTHING for most people, which is why the Nissan Versa (among others) kills the Yaris in sales. I actually preferred the Yaris SE over the Corolla, Civic, Fit, ILX, etc. back when I bought my car new in 2015 (I prefer compact/subcompact sized vehicles). It will be paid off next year, and I am seriously thinking about going out-of-state (again!) to snag a black SE hatch (automatic this time) to add to my Yaris collection before they go extinct. Shame that this market doesn't have enough demand for higher-end subcompact trims with some added fun/visual-factor meat on their bones. People in this segment here (unlike other countries) mostly just want a cheap, no frills, A-B appliance-car.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:49 AM   #28
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
They advertise them on billboards here in Canada!

I wish I had snapped a picture!