Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
"Snobs", "emasculated men"....Really? Man you guys are very judgemental. I'd gladly own a Prius or Prius V (and certainly could) and I'm neither snobby and most certainly not emasculated.....and not even a tree-hugger for that matter.

Since some of you seems quite worried about people's perception of you if you drove a Prius, you do understand that you drive a Yaris, right? Many of the "non manly" adjectives that you've used to describe Prius owners can be used to describe Yaris owners too. But you'd have to add "cheap" and/or non-affluent as well....because, outside of YarisWorld which accounts for a tiny portion of actual Yaris owners, most people's perception of the Yaris and the people who drive a Yaris is that it's a cheap, tin-can, econo-car and it's all the person driving it could afford.

I promise you that the "Yaris cool factor" that we like to tout around here is almost completely nonexistent out in the rest of the world.

Oh...for the record...by far, woman out number men, I'd say 10 to 1 as Yaris owners around here anyway. Maybe you guys could hang some of the those big truck-nuts from the back bumper of your Yaris and people might not notice what feminine little shit boxes you drive.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #2
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
"Snobs", "emasculated men"....Really? Man you guys are very judgemental. I'd gladly own a Prius or Prius V (and certainly could) and I'm neither snobby and most certainly not emasculated.....and not even a tree-hugger for that matter.

Since some of you seems quite worried about people's perception of you if you drove a Prius, you do understand that you drive a Yaris, right? Many of the "non manly" adjectives that you've used to describe Prius owners can be used to describe Yaris owners too. But you'd have to add "cheap" and/or non-affluent as well....because, outside of YarisWorld which accounts for a tiny portion of actual Yaris owners, most people's perception of the Yaris and the people who drive a Yaris is that it's a cheap, tin-can, econo-car and it's all the person driving it could afford.

I promise you that the "Yaris cool factor" that we like to tout around here is almost completely nonexistent out in the rest of the world.

Oh...for the record...by far, woman out number men, I'd say 10 to 1 as Yaris owners around here anyway. Maybe you guys could hang some of the those big truck-nuts from the back bumper of your Yaris and people might not notice what feminine little shit boxes you drive.

Wow, you "could" own one if you wanted...you must be hella rich.

On the topic of "cool factor" I'm constantly getting compliments from the general public(often drivers of other modified vehicles) which is something one in 10,000 Prius owners might get...the Yaris is definitely "cooler" than the Prius, no question about it.

The only feminine shitbox around here seems to come from KY.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
"Snobs", "emasculated men"....Really? Man you guys are very judgemental.
Judgements aren't only negative rejections.
Acceptance and approval are also judgements.

Quote:
...because, outside of YarisWorld which accounts for a tiny portion of actual Yaris owners, most people's perception of the Yaris and the people who drive a Yaris is that it's a cheap, tin-can, econo-car and it's all the person driving it could afford.
I'm actually proud of that cheap econo-car perception.

Because I live within my means I was able to save up enough money to buy a brand new one without being a slave to a car loan.

Quote:
I agree... but for me, cool is not as important as cheap reliable transportation.

Quote:
It's the same here, Bill...
Where I live, it's 84% Democrat... and here, the Prius is the feminine political symbol of liberalism.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
Volcano
Experienced Yaris Owner

Drives: Yaris 2013 1.33 Ltr
Quote:

it's a cheap, tin-can, econo-:
Well, that's excatly what it is. And this perfectly suites me.

When I wrecked my Pickup Truck I went for what I need vs. what I want. (Another Pickup.) As simple.

Funny enough, my dealer told me that a guy my age should certainly drive a prius at least.
Volcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:52 AM   #5
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:

You are missing the point. We don't live under rocks. We are aware of the view many have of Yari. If we cared about what others (except, in some cases, other Yaris owners) thought, we would probably drive something else. I think most of us drive them because they satisfy a majority (and to some close to all) of what we consider important re a car. I agree that the OVERALL majority of Yaris drivers are women, but I'll bet if Toyota did a survey re the Male to Female ratio of MANUAL TRANSMISSION Yaris drivers the results would probably be 10 Male to every 1 Female. I love the time I've spent in Kentucky, but I doubt many people there make car buying decisions, either consciously or unconsciously, based on political correctness. Try living in the SF Bay Area or in DC. People do. Obviously not all Prius owners deserve to be garnered with the adjectives you quoted, but enough do. I think many of us also poke fun at the Prius I - V because we don't see the point for most people who buy them if you do the calculations. The only justification I can see (USING LOGIC) is if your need can't be accommodated by a Yaris (e.g. four adults so large that a Yaris would be cramped) AND I VERY RARELY SEE MORE THAN 1 OR 2 PEOPLE RIDING IN A PRIUS (just one of the reasons I find them to be silly). I don't feel the environmental argument holds water either because you could donate the cost difference between the Prius and the Yaris to a charity that is making an extreme positive environmental impact per dollar donated. The overall impact of the money represented by 'Yaris + donation' is better for the environment than the impact of the Prius. In addition, issues re the impact of the Prius battery are still heavily debated. Some might say the Prius has more creature comforts/is more comfortable. I feel the only subset within that line of thinking that is based in logic rather than feeling is if such an item or items can't be added to a Yaris AND contribute to making the driver a safer pilot on the road. The argument re if such features exist or not opens up another can of worms.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
While I would never buy a Pruis on gas mileage alone, if you compare it to most midsize cars, it compares pretty well. Especially considering most midsize cars are sold as 4 cylinder slushboxes.

You simply cannot compare it to the Yaris. The Prius is superior in every way, from interior quality to audio quality, features, gas mileage of course, etc.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #7
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
While I would never buy a Pruis on gas mileage alone, if you compare it to most midsize cars, it compares pretty well. Especially considering most midsize cars are sold as 4 cylinder slushboxes.

You simply cannot compare it to the Yaris. The Prius is superior in every way, from interior quality to audio quality, features, gas mileage of course, etc.

I'll smash on a shitty Prius in my yaris...so it's not superior in EVERY way.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Not that it's a big deal - but I hardly think 38mpg is the average. I've had mine since 2008 and my lifetime average is 34mpg. People getting more than that are far fewer than those getting the manufacturer rated values or lower.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #9
tooter
play every day

That sounds reasonably true...
Our average so far has been a steady 35+ for a combination of city stop and go traffic, steady rural driving below 50mph, but no 5th gear freeway driving.

I checked some Prius postings of gas mileage and their realistic average looks to be 50 mpg.

So a yaris does 11.4 cents a mile... while a Prius does 8 cents a mile for an average savings of 3.4 cents a mile.

So 100,000 Prius miles saves you $3,400 over 100,000 Yaris miles... which, only for me, is not close to justifying the difference in cost.

Not to mention the replacement cost of a battery which is about $3,000 from Toyota with an advertized life of about 150,000 miles.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:10 PM   #10
12 yaris

Drives: '12 Yaris LE Lagoon Blue Mica
Love My Yaris,Basic transportation,A/C,A.T.,MPG is good enough for me.
12 yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:30 PM   #11
Slasher

Drives: 2012 RED M/T 3DR
I test drove a Prius C... It is decked out Yaris... Features were nice, but when you start talking real numbers or price:

Straight MSRP + options... and I was only able to find a four and one's that had $1200 worth of options... In my test drive my avg mpg was under 50mpg....

one $18950
two $19900
Three $21635
four $23320

Yaris L stick there was room to deal...

$13895 with carpet mats... but first tank was over 41 mpg (real world No interstate...)

So it came down to value... so for a minimum of $6000.00 price difference I should be able to buy 1714 gallons of gas and go over 71000 miles...

Regular Prius some story except...

MSRP starts at $24000 so a difference of over $10,000...

Those # are huge!!! 2857 gal gas for 117,000 miles...

I am not knocking the Prius... It is good for what it designed for... Unfortunately once the batteries are calculated in... I think it is a wash!!!

Just either out of being more green or eco-minded or even status symbol.... I chalk it up to the Green Tax or Value added marketting..,

But in all honesty... I prefer a 3 dr stick over the Prius... The feedback is there, just wish i had the power windows and keyless entry...
Slasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #12
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

Drives: 12 Yaris/07 yaris
Don't forget every 5 years you must replace the batteries in the Prius! and that's thousands of dollars!

id rather own the diesel Yaris, i bet that would have the same mileage as a Prius.
Scubaru Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #13
12 yaris

Why do we keep discussing the Prius?The Yaris is a better deal all the way around.
Maybe someone should start a Priusworld(Riding In A Vagina) Enthusiast Site.

I am not insulting anyone's intellegence,If you have one and are happy,great.

Last edited by 12 yaris; 06-01-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #14
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 yaris View Post
I am not insulting anyone's intelligence...
...but you're being insensitive to the feelings of others.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #15
12 yaris

MOMMMMMMYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!
Old 06-03-2012, 02:23 AM   #16
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Why do we keep discussing the Prius?The Yaris is a better deal all the way around.

Perhaps most of the Prius owners in PA are women (or emasculated men?), but this isn't really the vibe in the SF Bay Area...where many people feel as though people (female and many male buyers) are making an intentionally politically correct statement (and an intentionally smug one) buy buying a Prius...and many buyers (one can tell by querying them) know next to nothing about the car.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #17
nookandcrannycar

Quote:

Probably because the Prius is a car that evokes strong and divergent opinions, not among all but among many.......and opinions are like...................
Old 06-02-2012, 12:31 AM   #18
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
they discuss it because it makes them feel better about what they bought, plus the odds of finding a prius owner on here is slim at best.