Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-12-2015, 12:11 AM   #1
Badluckchuck
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Toyota yaris
Air conditioning woes

I just bought a used 2007 Yaris. The car dealership was great they gave me a 30 day or 1000 mile warranty, which unheard of. Well first day I drove it I noticed I had no A/C.
So I called them and they said bring it over and they would charge the system. When they hooked up their gauges it was over full so they backed it down and refilled it. This did nothing, so they said go to our mechanic and let him look at it. So, I did and he tried the same thing and again it didn't work. He said shut the car off and as he watched his gauges, he noticed the pressure had not equalized. He said you've got a bad orifice. Hr ordered me one. I returned in 2 days, he swapped them out, backed it down, vaccumed it out and recharged it and low and behold 39 degree air. Man I was stoked after all I had been driving 1000 miles a week with my windows down. So I thanked him and drove off. Well about a mile down the road I started sweating cause it was blowing warm air. So I called him and he said come on back. When I got back I told him just how it happened and then I said but as soon as i got here it was blowing cold again. He started hooking up his gauges, when he said "start it up and put it in drive and as soon as I did the compressor and fan shut off. We looked and checked all we could think of. He called his friend who is a mechanic at the Toyota dealership and he said that a new one on us. We scoured Google, and YouTube for answers and came up with nothing. You don't even have to be in gear for it to shut off, you just got to push the gear selector over and it shuts off. The mechanic hooked up his code reader and recreated the problem and it shows on and the when you move the selector over it shuts of and his code reader would show on,off,on,off etc. He says this is a first for him too. Anyone else have this problem and had it fixed or any idea what this could be and how to fix it.
Badluckchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:05 AM   #2
shepd

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5 door RS
Confused computer thinking the pedal is at WOT for some reason? Most A/C systems will temporarily disable themselves at WOT. Though, in a drive-by-wire car I don't see how you could have that condition without the engine banging off the rev-limiter.
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:28 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Sounds like the pressure sensor is bad or the system is actually overcharged now. If you have someone with a Toyota TechStream system (like a dealership or properly equipped shop) plug into the car they can get the info from the AC ECU to find out why it isn't happy.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:04 AM   #4
esse10

Drives: 2009 yaris 2 door
A/C ecu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Sounds like the pressure sensor is bad or the system is actually overcharged now. If you have someone with a Toyota TechStream system (like a dealership or properly equipped shop) plug into the car they can get the info from the AC ECU to find out why it isn't happy.
These Yaris have an A/C ecu ? didn't know that. where is it located?
esse10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:11 PM   #5
shepd

The BCM (which would control the A/C) is located with the fuse block inside the dash in front of the driver's knee.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:34 PM   #6
esse10

Drives: 2009 yaris 2 door
k

k thanks
esse10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:20 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

No. The AC ECU is located to the right of the gas pedal. It is tucked into a recess in the air box.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:30 AM   #8
shepd

The A/C has a completely separate ECU? That makes 3 of them... I suppose there's another for those with an immobilizer, too, isn't there?

Seems almost... excessive. :D
Old 06-19-2015, 06:16 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepd View Post
The A/C has a completely separate ECU? That makes 3 of them... I suppose there's another for those with an immobilizer, too, isn't there?

Seems almost... excessive. :D
There are more than that:
A/C, TPMS, ECM, EPS, ABS, Body, Transponder key ECU, Combination Meter, SRS,

Tags
air condition, blows hot, drive, reverse, transmission