Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-17-2015, 09:30 PM   #1
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
DIY - Converting a 2nd gen Yaris to the best part of a 3rd gen (Steering wheel audio)

After driving my Subaru Crosstrek so much this winter I found that I really missed the audio controls and handsfree phone connectivity, so I decided to upgrade my 2009 Yaris with those features from a 3rd gen Yaris.

I purchased a 2013 Yaris headunit from someone on here and also got the microphone assembly from him as well. I then purchased a 2012 Yaris Hybrid steering wheel and airbag from a person in Lithuania. I went with the European
Yaris Hybrid steering wheel because it also included the phone controls (which the US 3rd gen steering wheels lacked). I also purchased a 2012 clockspring from a junkyard to upgrade mine to one with the extra wires required to have audio controls as well as cruise control. The final item I needed was an antenna adapter (off ebay) to adapt my antenna plug to the newer style of the 3rd gen headunit.

The hardest part of the install was figuring out where to put the rather large microphone assembly. After a bit of head scratching I realized that the perfect place was to the right of the steering wheel, where the push to start switch mounts on so equipped European and Japanese market cars. I just so happen to have a bunch of the trim pieces with the hole for the switch, so I glued a piece of speaker mesh over the hole and stuck the mic behind it.

The wiring changes are relatively simple.

Head unit wiring for the mic (brown, white, black and red on top) and steering wheel controls (blue, pink and red on the bottom):

Mic wiring:

Clock spring wiring for audio contols (red, pink and blue on the right):

Here's the mic mounted behind a push to start trim piece (I have loads of them on hand if someone else wants to do the same):

3rd gen clock spring with lots more wires running through the clock spring (but same connectors as the 2nd gen):

2012 European Yaris Hybrid Steering wheel and clock spring mounted:

2013 US Yaris headunit:
Old 04-17-2015, 09:40 PM   #2
Ben_

Drives: 2010 Yaris Hatch
Awesome mod! I have also been feeling my head unit lacking lately but haven't had the push to fix it. I think this is a bit beyond what I was thinking of doing
Ben_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:20 PM   #3
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
This is sweet. How much was the steering wheel?

Do you also have a picture of the microphone assembly?
Old 04-17-2015, 10:28 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
This is sweet. How much was the steering wheel?

Do you also have a picture of the microphone assembly?
For some silly reason I did not snap a pic of the mic.

The cost for the parts was:

Steering wheel: $150
Airbag: $250
Headunit w/mic: $50
Clockspring: $35
Old 04-17-2015, 11:32 PM   #5
bairjo

The master has done it again. I hope you develop the details like you did with cruise control. I am sure there are others on here that will give this mod a try. (guys, buy your parts from him if he has them). CTScott, you will never cease to amaze me....Way to go man!
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:08 AM   #6
gatonico

Drives: Yaris
Only as addition and help for this radio and for work the bluetooth option, i find and purchase this set of cables with microphone USB and AUX that working very well with toyota oem radios. I probe in this t1816.

Are 6 Pcs and cost US$50.00 http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-PCS-Set-Wi...-/231639988790

Last edited by gatonico; 08-30-2015 at 08:34 PM.
gatonico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:13 PM   #7
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
So after seeing this I bought a steering wheel out if a 2013 Yaris hybrid. I figured I could reuse my car's factory airbag since it is a 2014. However, the mounting system is actually different. I swapped the phone controls to my plastic steering wheel for now but I'm actually surprised that Toyota would make the airbags differently
Old 09-09-2016, 07:53 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
So after seeing this I bought a steering wheel out if a 2013 Yaris hybrid. I figured I could reuse my car's factory airbag since it is a 2014. However, the mounting system is actually different. I swapped the phone controls to my plastic steering wheel for now but I'm actually surprised that Toyota would make the airbags differently
The airbags use the same connectors, but they are physically very different.
Old 09-09-2016, 08:18 PM   #9
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
What I found when I looked further is that my car actually has two airbag connectors and the UK spec airbags apparently only have one connector. Oh well, at least I have phone switches now... Not sure that was worth $100 to have though lol.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:21 PM   #10
ricepower

Drives: Yaris Y Sedan
Send a message via MSN to ricepower Send a message via Yahoo to ricepower
Lightbulb T1816 Din size

Is the size of the headunit is 2din (toyota stock size)?

On the mic connector, do we have the wiring pinouts on that one?

Planning to upgrade the cassette headunit of my rav4 '10 with this one.
Old 01-18-2022, 10:04 PM   #11
Hatchgo

Drives: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
What I found when I looked further is that my car actually has two airbag connectors and the UK spec airbags apparently only have one connector. Oh well, at least I have phone switches now... Not sure that was worth $100 to have though lol.
Did you have any problem with only the orange airbag cable being connected? I'm trying to install a steering wheel with audio control as well. The airbag only has one connector for orange cable, whereas the car has two cables. Orange and Black.
Hatchgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:19 PM   #12
Hatchgo

Drives: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The airbags use the same connectors, but they are physically very different.
did the new airbag have two connector port for both orange and black wire to be connected? or just one connector for orange wire? What do you do with the black wire if it doesn't have anywhere to be connected?
Hatchgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 03:09 AM   #13
Mrdea321

Drives: Vitz 2006
Sir i had sent u a message please see it
Mrdea321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
controls, headunit, mic, radio, steering wheel