Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-24-2018, 11:39 AM   #1
omarmsabbah

Drives: Toyota Yaris Sedan 2008
Exclamation Coolant Draining, Yaris sedan 2008

i have a yaris 2008 sedan i owned it since brand new it started draining coolant lately but slowly there is no coolant on the ground where i leave it so there is no leak and the car doesn't heat up at all

but i noticed something weird started to happen lately where the fan started going on way more often than usual

the car have never done any repairs or service on the engine since i got it apart from spark plugs and the belt "which were about 3 years ago" that's all

any idea why could this be happening

thank you in advance :D
omarmsabbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:16 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Refill coolant and go from there. Seems like its low on coolant either through evaporation as the system is not a closed system or through a leak somewhere
Old 12-24-2018, 12:20 PM   #3
omarmsabbah

Thank you

it did vaporize completely till the car actually became hot and i refilled it but it seems to be doing it again that's why it raises a huge flag this time

note:i didnt drive while it was hot i made sure it cooled off again and bought more coolant and filled it up again what lead to this is me not checking on coolant for a long time :( my bad
Old 12-24-2018, 12:52 PM   #4
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Yaris overheat

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarmsabbah View Post
Thank you

it did vaporize completely till the car actually became hot and i refilled it but it seems to be doing it again that's why it raises a huge flag this time

note:i didnt drive while it was hot i made sure it cooled off again and bought more coolant and filled it up again what lead to this is me not checking on coolant for a long time :( my bad
"vaporize completely"
From the overflow tank?
From the radiator?
From the engine block/head?
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:58 PM   #5
omarmsabbah

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
"vaporize completely"
From the overflow tank?
From the radiator?
From the engine block/head?
the overflow tank was empty and the car started heating and bulb in the dashboard lit up

the car doesn't have a cap for the radiator so i don't know if it was also from the radiator and the engine block i don't know how to check that but the car heated the light in the dashboard lit up and i had to stop right away and went to buy more coolant to put in the overflow tank of course after waiting for the car to cool off for about 45min

so basically i saw no water in the overflow tank
Old 12-24-2018, 01:02 PM   #6
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Where the hell is your rad cap?!?!

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 12-24-2018, 01:24 PM   #7
omarmsabbah

Unhappy it has none

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Where the hell is your rad cap?!?!

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
its on a hose (the upper coolant hose to be exact) where it shows nothing inside the radiator it self i have the cap on the hose and the tap on the overflow tank that's all

just like the picture below :/

Old 12-24-2018, 02:24 PM   #8
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
Quote:
the overflow tank was empty and the car started heating and bulb in the dashboard lit up

the car doesn't have a cap for the radiator so i don't know if it was also from the radiator and the engine block i don't know how to check that but the car heated the light in the dashboard lit up and i had to stop right away and went to buy more coolant to put in the overflow tank of course after waiting for the car to cool off for about 45min

so basically i saw no water in the overflow tank
dont fill your radiator with tap water while its hot. dont put coolant in an overheating engine.
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 05:16 PM   #9
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
its on a hose (the upper coolant hose to be exact) where it shows nothing inside the radiator it self i have the cap on the hose and the tap on the overflow tank that's all

just like the picture below :/

Lol that's still your rad cap.

If you just filled while it was cool, you gonna need to run it until the thermostat opens up and flows water through to let all the bubbles out.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Old 12-24-2018, 06:06 PM   #10
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
The overflow tank will only fill the radiator a little bit each time the engine cools down (overnight)...then when the engine heats up, the radiator pushes a little bit back into the overflow tank. (That's how it works if everything is up to level) So you can see that the overflow tank cap is no way to fill a low or empty radiator.
That engine may have a blown headgasket and warped head.
What were the circumstances around the belt and waterpump replacement?
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant, drain, problem, sedan, yaris 2008