Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-24-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
antihero13

Drives: 06 sentra
yaris LB vs 1st gen xb! my used car dilemma

I'm gonna be in the market for a nice used car towards the end of the year. The two cars I've always like are the yaris LB and the gen1 xb. I'm sure some yaris owners have had the same cars in mind and i would love to know why you went with the yaris. I would use the car you my DD and to mod a little to make it my own. I come from a mini-truckin background so the xb has a look I really like but the yaris is such a great car and you guys have done a great job making them look bad a$$ I'm torn between the two!
antihero13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:06 PM   #2
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Go Yaris!

Contact Thirty-Nine, he had the 1st gen xB, and now has a yaris. He would be the best to know. He did have an issue with his xB and transmission.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
ive driven an xb and i own a yaris.....id drive either....but if you commute a long distance, the yaris is likely a bit better on gas

more mods for the xb1 though
Old 01-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
SpaceShot

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5 speed HB
I have the 08 Yaris LB, and my wife has the 05 XB. (the best way to do it if you can)

We replaced a Suzuki Sidekick JLX and XL-7 (think 4 Runner) with these vehicles. The Yaris is a standard and definitely gets better mileage on my 120 daily roundtrip, and is a sportier drive.

The XB has much more back seat room and easier access for our soon to be teenage son.
If mileage and driving feel are most important for you, get the Yaris. If you routinely have back seat passengers and don't go that far, the XB may be more comfortable.

I do manage with 1-2 carpool riders in the Yaris most weekdays, and I get some of the same utility as the XB with a hitch and a basket or bike rack on the back when I need it.

The Yaris and the first gen XB have the same wheels, and the same engine, right down to the oil filter. Both are good vehicles, its just a matter of which fits your daily drive better.
SpaceShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
thebarber
daily driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceShot View Post
The Yaris and the first gen XB have the same wheels, and the same engine, right down to the oil filter.
same engine, yes. but other items are not the same. exhaust manifold, intake manifold, and throttle body jump to mind...
Old 01-25-2010, 03:59 PM   #6
antihero13

Thanks for all the input!! I'm not sure if I would use the room the xb has because my wife has a sentra and I do just fine with my old pickup truck. Springs and wheels is the most I would do if I had a yaris. as long as I had room for a car seat I should be good. I'm gonna give myself most of the year to be sure I get the right one for me. The last time I jumped the gun I got a car I hated (05 chevy aveo)
Old 01-25-2010, 08:36 PM   #7
antihero13

well i got a look at a new yaris LB tonight at a dealer about an hour away from my house. It was the first time I had seen a LB in a while and I love how they look!!! the back seat seemed to have a good deal of room for such a small two door. It was to late for me to get someone to open it up. also got a look at a used 05 xb on the way home, I really dig the ugly lil box but seems like it would not have the same sporty "hot hatch" feel the yaris would......more like a shrunk chevy astro. again thanks for the help guys!
Old 01-25-2010, 08:51 PM   #8
thebarber
daily driver

xb is HUGE inside

plenty of room in the back of the yaris too sit too, btw....ive made a day trip sitting in the back of my 3dr....super comfy space-wise
Old 01-25-2010, 11:03 PM   #9
antihero13

very true!!!!! It's got more leg/head room then just about anything I've seen!!!!! but I really only need room for my wife and 3yr old. I've been hit'n up c-list and it seems like a 04-06 xb with 40,xxx+ miles is about the same price as a 07-09 yaris with under 25,xxx miles.......hmmmmm
Old 01-25-2010, 11:41 PM   #10
thebarber
daily driver

man, if youve got a kid in a child seat, go for the 5dr xb....i have a 3dr and i kick myself almost dailly for not getting the 5dr hatch (we've had the 5dr since the yaris came out here as an 06 model)
Old 01-26-2010, 12:12 AM   #11
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
the XB has only 1 catalytic converter , the YARIS 2 . The XBs' ride is more stiffer ( feel it on poor roads / city streets ) , while the YARIS is smoother . Less harsh . There's less engine , road , and wind noise at highway ( interstate ) speeds in the YARIS too . Know this from experience from the'06 XB with automatic that we had . Otherwise enjoyed the XBs' looks , handling ( thanks to V.S.C. and T.C. ) , good all around viewing from inside , and the amizing room within . Wouldn't mind having a used 5 speed XB for a workhorse .

Last edited by Hershey; 01-26-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:16 AM   #12
Hershey

the XB has a poor side crash due to no side / curtain air bags . Would get an 2010 YARIS 5 door since it has better rating for side impact thanks to air bags .
Old 01-26-2010, 12:30 AM   #13
Hershey

last , the XB is more sluggish due to being less aerodynamic and having more weight for the 1.5 ltr. to move along . Especially the automatic XB . Which we had . Noticed this on interstate and when climbing hills . Good luck on your decision . Not so easy .
Old 01-26-2010, 12:37 AM   #14
antihero13

the child seat in a 2-dr is not gonna be a big deal for me because we use my wifes car most of the time anyway. I had his seat in my built fox body mustang all last year and the yaris looks to have way more room in back then the old ford.Man it's gonna drive me nuts till I put my name on the tittle of a xb or yaris!! Try'n to be smart and payoff some bills before I make another one.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:42 AM   #15
Rand0m0sityxX

Drives: 1998 Honda Crv
I'd prolly get a yaris over a xB, if anything compared to the Yaris look at used xA's or xD's. I love the xD, but scions pricing kills me, and with what I've heard from some current Scion owners, I think I'd rather the yaris under the Toyota name over the Scion name.
Rand0m0sityxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:06 AM   #16
Hershey

used XBs are a bit of a delicacy ( like caviar ) . Overpriced thanks to being out for only 3 years thus making it somewhat of a collectors item . See used CERTIFIED XBs at TOYO dealers that are nearly the same price as when new . Might as well get a new YARIS liftback or a new NISSAN Cube . Talked to few owners of the CUBE and claim to get mileage in the the low 30s' with the 1.8 ltr.. Not much less or near the same mileage as the XBs' 1.5 ltr.. Most of the used XBs we've looked at were abused by its owner(s) . So , do a thorough exam of the engine and rest of car . Some of these XBs' were CERTIFIED or just for regular sale on TOYO / SCION lots . Thus , CERTIFIED doesn't mean squat . 160 point inspection before being sold my . Most just stick it on their lot and hope for the best after sold .

Last edited by Hershey; 01-26-2010 at 01:18 AM.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:40 PM   #17
2009BBPliftback

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB in Blazing blue
Send a message via AIM to 2009BBPliftback
I traded in a 2005 xb Manual on my 2009 yaris liftback and I couldn't be happier. The yaris is more refined has curtain airbags and since I am usually the sole person in the car its plenty big enough for my daily use. I don't miss my xB at all even though it was a great car I say go Yaris. MPG is better as well
2009BBPliftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:45 PM   #18
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
used XBs are a bit of a delicacy ( like caviar ) . Overpriced thanks to being out for only 3 years thus making it somewhat of a collectors item . See used CERTIFIED XBs at TOYO dealers that are nearly the same price as when new . Might as well get a new YARIS liftback or a new NISSAN Cube . Talked to few owners of the CUBE and claim to get mileage in the the low 30s' with the 1.8 ltr.. Not much less or near the same mileage as the XBs' 1.5 ltr.. Most of the used XBs we've looked at were abused by its owner(s) . So , do a thorough exam of the engine and rest of car . Some of these XBs' were CERTIFIED or just for regular sale on TOYO / SCION lots . Thus , CERTIFIED doesn't mean squat . 160 point inspection before being sold my . Most just stick it on their lot and hope for the best after sold .

cube handles like an itchy bear cub...do not want
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote