Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-30-2012, 04:46 AM   #1
birdman

Drives: '08 Blazing Blue Yaris LB
Starting issue

For several months now the cars starter motor occasionally will continue to crank after the car has started. When it does this I turn off the ignition and restart. Then it is fine for a while until it acts up again. Any ideas on this abnormality?
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:19 AM   #2
MickZEL

Drives: Yaris sedan
check the starter relay is off. It is located under the hood.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:21 AM   #3
Trishen Naidoo
Proud Goloof Hater (G)

Drives: Toyota Yaris T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman View Post
For several months now the cars starter motor occasionally will continue to crank after the car has started. When it does this I turn off the ignition and restart. Then it is fine for a while until it acts up again. Any ideas on this abnormality?

I have a similar Problem with my 09 T1 LB.
I have noticed the Starter motor acts up now and then and becomes sticky. do you switch off or stall the car occasionally, I think thats one of the causes. Wait for a few seconds then start the car up.. my opinion... I wouldnt really worry about it. I know the starter on that car is used on more cars than just a Yaris
- Sony Xplod GT45U Head Unit
Trishen Naidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
birdman

What do you think about this CT Scott?
Old 07-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
Nicfin
Nic

Drives: 2008 3-Door Liftback Manual
OK, I will add my 2 cents. I bought my 08 Yaris earlier this year. Not long after that, I had the starter stick when cranking. I found a thread on YarisWorld talking about it. A member suggested not cranking the Yaris like an older vehicle. Just turn the ignition and let go. The motor will turn over and crank without holding the ignition key. He was right. It was a little awkward at first, but now I am completely used to cranking it that way. I haven't had an issue since.
Nicfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
birdman

Thanks I'll give it a try.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
E TEX YARIS

Drives: 2002 Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicfin View Post
OK, I will add my 2 cents. I bought my 08 Yaris earlier this year. Not long after that, I had the starter stick when cranking. I found a thread on YarisWorld talking about it. A member suggested not cranking the Yaris like an older vehicle. Just turn the ignition and let go. The motor will turn over and crank without holding the ignition key. He was right. It was a little awkward at first, but now I am completely used to cranking it that way. I haven't had an issue since.
That is an interesting way of starting. Not sure I understand it. The ignition switch sends power to activate the starting relay and the relay sends power the starter solenoid and thus the starter engages. When you release the ignition switch from start, this power source should end thus disengaging the starter. Not sure how turning the ignition key and letting go will keep this power source active to start. Also what tells it to turn off the starter?

Looking at an 08 wiring diagram I cannot figure out how that would happen. Maybe the ECM takes control. I need to check this out further. Thanks for posting.

My thought is that the starter relay or the starter solenoid is sticking keeping the starter energized. This is something I would check for a sticking starter. You can disable the engine from starting. Take a voltage reading of the battery for a reference. Then do a voltage test at the starter solenoid terminal while someone turns the key to start. With the key held to start you should read battery voltage. Once the key is released, the voltage reading should drop to zero. If you are still read battery voltage with the key released, the starter relay is sticking.

If, with key released, the voltage goes to zero but the starter is still turning, the starter solenoid is sticking.

This testing may change if what Nicfin posted holds true. Not sure how it would be diagnosed
E TEX YARIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #8
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
The Yaris, like most modern cars, have the feature to just click it to the "start" position and you can release it, and the car does the rest. It's like the PUSH button on most cars that have it. Just press it, and the ECU does it's thing (or whatever controls it).

But the issue does sound like a sticking solenoid switch (solenoid of the starter)
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #9
Nicfin
Nic

Drives: 2008 3-Door Liftback Manual
I did not believe it at first either, but the starter has not "stuck" one time since I began cranking it the new way. I know there must be something to it, because I have an 08 Ford F150 work vehicle that does/did the exact same thing. I was cranking the Ford the old-fashioned way for about 4 years prior to me buying the Yaris and also encountered the "sticking" starter from time to time. I figured it was just par for the course on a Ford. Once I realized the Yaris cranked that way, I put two and two together and tried it on the Ford and now realize they crank the same. No problems on the Ford since I began cranking it like the Yaris.
Nicfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #10
E TEX YARIS

Drives: 2002 Echo
Good info. I guess I am not up to date with these more modern cars. Always learning I guess. Will keep it in mind.

I do see the ECM wired into the starting circuit so it may be an ECM thing. Will try to learn more about it. Thanks.
E TEX YARIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 05:25 PM   #11
Marol
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris 2007 and 2012
Starter stick when cranking yaris 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicfin View Post
That worked like magic. It will enable me to take the car for repairs withou a tow truck.
Marol is offline   Reply With Quote