Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-27-2020, 05:49 PM   #73
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
I don't think the red looks that bad. In fact I kind of like it.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:40 PM   #74
KALISPEL II

Drives: '22 Mazda CX-30 CE AWD 6-AT
Not the best setting or lighting, but here is a phone-pic I took at work the other day with the changed-out vinyl color. I like it better, since it is more low-key & conservative, & just generally more my speed. I liked the deep red version also, but it just popped a bit too much for my personal tastes. Just a little something to add a touch of tasteful, factory-looking, customization & individualism to my Corolla - considering that these cars will literally be all over the place soon enough. Plus, I think it looks better when all that solid black/dark-gray up-front from one end to the other is broken up a bit.

KALISPEL II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:39 PM   #75
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Nice one. The reflection on the windshield makes this pic extra cool.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:44 PM   #76
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
I really like it now!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:46 AM   #77
KALISPEL II

Drives: '22 Mazda CX-30 CE AWD 6-AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Nice one. The reflection on the windshield makes this pic extra cool.
Thanks. I park under some solar panels at work & that is where that grid reflection is coming from. It does look pretty cool reflected off the windshield like that. The Matrix!
KALISPEL II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:22 PM   #78
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
Okay, quick update - I finally got my 2020 Corolla SE hatchback in Classic Silver Metallic! Woohoo! If you want to do a factory order at your dealership, be prepared to wait about three months. The dealership ordered my car in December, and it arrived this month. But that's okay, since I was buying this car for fun, not because I needed it. Right now I'm just learning how to drive it. Stalled it about a zillion times, but I'm slowly getting better and better at consistently finding the bite point. I'm also working on figuring out when to change gears. I'm glad I had the wild idea to buy a brand new car with a manual, even though I didn't know how to drive a manual. Although I suck at driving it right now, I'm still having a blast learning how to drive stick!
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 02:33 AM   #79
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
Okay, quick update - I finally got my 2020 Corolla SE hatchback in Classic Silver Metallic! Woohoo! If you want to do a factory order at your dealership, be prepared to wait about three months. The dealership ordered my car in December, and it arrived this month. But that's okay, since I was buying this car for fun, not because I needed it. Right now I'm just learning how to drive it. Stalled it about a zillion times, but I'm slowly getting better and better at consistently finding the bite point. I'm also working on figuring out when to change gears. I'm glad I had the wild idea to buy a brand new car with a manual, even though I didn't know how to drive a manual. Although I suck at driving it right now, I'm still having a blast learning how to drive stick!
Quick way to find the grab/bite point of the clutch is to go on a flat, empty parking lot, and then slowly, and I mean extremely slowly start letting go of the clutch with the trans being in 1st. Don't bother with the gas pedal. Once you start feeling the car lunge forward, fully step on the clutch again and shift back into neutral. Do this 2 or 3 times, and you'll know exactly where the grab point is. Don't do it too many times tho, since I'm sure it's putting some stress on the throw out bearing.

Since you're new to M/T, please do not fully rest your hand's weight on the shifter. Also do not keep the clutch pedal depressed when stopped. Shift into reverse and fully let go of the clutch pedal. Also do not rest your foot on the clutch pedal. Doing all this will prevent unnecessary wear and damage on your car.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:54 PM   #80
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Also do not keep the clutch pedal depressed when stopped. Shift into reverse and fully let go of the clutch pedal.
I think you mean neutral, not reverse. lol.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:53 PM   #81
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
I think you mean neutral, not reverse. lol.
ROTFLMAO!

Good catch. Not sure why I said reverse. Yes, NEUTRAL! hahaha
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 08:34 PM   #82
Leegamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
ROTFLMAO!

Good catch. Not sure why I said reverse. Yes, NEUTRAL! hahaha
I just imagine this poor guy pulling up to a red light, throwing it in reverse and dumping the clutch. Made me lol
Old 03-22-2020, 11:22 PM   #83
Hamster

Thanks for the suggestions! I've been practicing on the residential streets around my house. The speed limit is 25 mph, so I can go at slow speeds and take my time. There are no hills, and there's rarely anyone behind me. Lots of stop signs, where I can practicing stops and starts. Just to be safe, I taped a hand-made sign on my back window with a warning that I'm learning to drive stick and I might stall (I was afraid that otherwise someone might think I'm on a cell phone and start road raging at me). The bite point seems to be 3/4 of the way up the pedal travel. You can definitely feel it, since the car feels more "solid." Once the bite point is reached, the car will not move forward on its own if you don't give it gas. Apparently some cars will move forward on its own, but not this one. The Corolla will move a couple inches then shut off. Anyway, as a beginner, it's challenging to properly balance the amount of gas, plus the speed to fully release the clutch pedal. But the more time I spend behind the wheel, the fewer times I stall. I'm also getting better at shifting through the gears smoothly. There are a bunch of really helpful YouTube videos about how to drive stick, so I've been watching those over and over. And, of course, I still have my automatic Yaris, so I'm not stressing out about how long it will take me to master a manual.

And don't worry, I'm not resting my hand on the shifter, and I'm not using the clutch as a footrest :). I know that doing both those things are super bad. Also, good thing you mentioned not to keep the clutch depressed when stopped. That's what my mom taught me to do (I had a couple hours of in-car instruction with her in my dad's car, but now I'm on my own with my new Corolla). But turns out she's wrong. What I've been doing now is shifting to neutral and coasting a few feet shortly before I reach the stop sign. Less strain on my legs, too.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:00 AM   #84
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Drives: Hatchbacks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
Because the only thing better than having one hatchback is having two hatchbacks, right?
This.
bradbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:14 AM   #85
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Drives: Hatchbacks
Nice vinyl mod! Breaking up the black trim pieces looks much better. Smart!
bradbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 02:24 AM   #86
Hamster

I realized I haven't posted an update on my new Corolla. All I can say is....Wow, if you ever wanted to learn to drive stick shift, this is the car for you! It was super easy to learn to drive this thing. I taught myself just by watching YouTube videos. Yeah, at first, it really sucked when I stalled a lot. But after I learned to find where the clutch bites, everything came super easy after that. Earlier this year, I couldn't drive a manual at all, now I find it as easy as driving an automatic. Well, except in traffic, of course. :) If I have to go somewhere during rush hour, I'll drive my automatic Yaris.

What I really like about this car is two "cheat" features for inclines and hills. The new Corolla has a brake hold feature, which uses the ABS system so you don't need to hold down the brake pedal while at a stop. This same feature works great if you are on a slight incline. No rolling backwards, just clutch down, shift into first, give it some gas, and the brakes will automatically release, you don't need to do anything extra. For steeper inclines or hills, you can use the electronic parking brake. Clutch down, shift into first, give it some gas, and the parking brake will automatically release once you get moving. No danger of rolling back even an inch, so no need to freak out if someone is right on your bumper. And the rev match feature works perfectly, too! Makes downshifting so smooth. Overall, I am very pleased with this car! I'm glad Toyota designed this car to be so easy for beginners.
Old 08-24-2020, 04:22 PM   #87
ern-diz

Nice! Those cheat features sound rather handy.

On Wheelwell
Old 08-25-2020, 12:10 AM   #88
Hamster

Yes indeed! Very handy, since both brake features allow you to just relax and drive, instead of worrying about rolling backwards into someone. It's cool to be able to sit on an incline, with both feet on the floor, and not roll backwards. Also saves wear-and-tear on the clutch for sure, since you don't need to give much, if any, extra gas in order to overcome gravity. So, I never bothered to learn how to do hill starts "properly," I instead rely entirely on the tech. I don't think it matters, though. It's unlikely that I'll ever be in a situation where I'll have to drive a manual car other than my own. Likewise, I don't see any benefit in learning how to blip the throttle on downshifts. The Corolla's computer could do a better job than I feel I ever could.
Old 08-25-2020, 08:00 AM   #89
Leegamer

Glad you were able to learn and you're still loving the car! Those features do sound useful, though personally I don't understand wanting to drive a manual if the car is going to take away all the fun and do it for you.
Old 08-25-2020, 03:36 PM   #90
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
Glad you were able to learn and you're still loving the car! Those features do sound useful, though personally I don't understand wanting to drive a manual if the car is going to take away all the fun and do it for you.
I thought the same, but I think if you know how to do it in case you ever need to, the incline feature isn't terrible for day-to-day convenience. I've owned nothing but manual cars but having driven the hills of San Francisco, the incline feature wouldn't be half bad lol.

Aside from that, manuals are going away, so if these types of helpy helperton features bring a few people back, I'm not going to complain about it

On Wheelwell