Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-15-2010, 01:03 PM   #1
sbergman27

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
W.O.T in neutral

Firstly, let me state that I have seen zero in the way of actual evidence that any Toyota has truly experienced spontaneous acceleration and am maintaining the view that what we are observing is mainly a demonstration of a (very interesting) mass-psychology/media/political phenomenon.

However, there has been much talk about throwing the car into neutral with the throttle wide open. Most of my experience is with old technologies where the result would be immediate engine failure due to excessive RPMs. Thrown rods, I would guess.

What, exactly, would happen with the Yaris in this case? I assume there is some sort of governor. How fast would the ECU let the engine turn?

-Steve

P.S. I should probably say the obvious: Don't try this at home.
sbergman27 is offline   Reply With Quote