Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
yarisse54

Drives: 2013 Yaris SE
2014 Yaris - Made in France

Bonjour, the 2014 Yaris is slated to be built in France!

Starting in May 2013, The Toyota Yaris will be imported to North American markets from a factory in France.

Produced in northern France for the European market since 2001, this is the first Toyota to be produced in Europe and imported to North America.

The Yaris hatchback is a new model for 2012. The French factory will export about 25,000 cars annually to Canada, the U.S. and Puerto Rico. In order to build cars to the unique tastes and legal requirements of those markets, the factory is being retrofitted. The North American cars have slightly different bumpers, the option of automatic transmissions, a unique 1.5-liter engine and other required safety features.

“This is not only an endorsement of the quality of the cars built by our team members here at Toyota Motor Manufacturing France (TMMF), but it’s also a significant new business opportunity for our factory and further strengthens TMMF’s position as an important exporter in France,” TMMF president Makoto Sano said.

The strong yen has forced Japanese manufacturers to reconsider domestic car assembly in light of growing costs. Honda has gone so far as to sell Chinese-made Fits in Canada, but this is the latest evolution in that trend.

- Now will each 2014 Yaris come with a bottle of red wine and a basket of cheese? My dealer said that the 2014 Yaris will have a price drop due to the more favorable exchange rate between francs and NA currency.
yarisse54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:15 AM   #2
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisse54 View Post
Bonjour, the 2014 Yaris is slated to be built in France!

Starting in May 2013, The Toyota Yaris will be imported to North American markets from a factory in France.

Produced in northern France for the European market since 2001, this is the first Toyota to be produced in Europe and imported to North America.

The Yaris hatchback is a new model for 2012. The French factory will export about 25,000 cars annually to Canada, the U.S. and Puerto Rico. In order to build cars to the unique tastes and legal requirements of those markets, the factory is being retrofitted. The North American cars have slightly different bumpers, the option of automatic transmissions, a unique 1.5-liter engine and other required safety features.

“This is not only an endorsement of the quality of the cars built by our team members here at Toyota Motor Manufacturing France (TMMF), but it’s also a significant new business opportunity for our factory and further strengthens TMMF’s position as an important exporter in France,” TMMF president Makoto Sano said.

The strong yen has forced Japanese manufacturers to reconsider domestic car assembly in light of growing costs. Honda has gone so far as to sell Chinese-made Fits in Canada, but this is the latest evolution in that trend.

- Now will each 2014 Yaris come with a bottle of red wine and a basket of cheese? My dealer said that the 2014 Yaris will have a price drop due to the more favorable exchange rate between francs and NA currency.
There is a past thread about this, but IIRC the best information anyone posted was 'Spring 2013' (not specifying the month). Thanks for the more specific start date info. So even those first arrivals from France will be identified as model year 2014?
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:32 AM   #3
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
That would make sense, so people know what year to start avoiding. Also would make order sheets easier.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:20 AM   #4
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
That would make sense, so people know what year to start avoiding. Also would make order sheets easier.
It will be interesting to see if 'the Toyota way', so to speak, can push the 'softer' French workers 'into line' and if the part sourcing can be up to snuff. I'm thinking I'll buy another car (unless my Yaris uncharacteristically starts rapidly falling apart) when I get to the end of the life of my NEXT set of tires (likely between 367,000 miles and 397,000 miles) or toward the end of the 2016 model year (should be the last year of the 3rd Gen), whichever comes first. If the latter comes first, the first French built Yarii should have enough of a track record to aid in my decision.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
carolinablue

Drives: 2012
No more 100% JDM Yari for the North American market. Too bad..........
carolinablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #6
Bobstermania

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB
One of the reasons I went with the Yaris is because it was still completely made in Japan. Originally was looking at the corolla, but "made in canada" just didn't seem right.
Bobstermania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
Septembersrain
♣♀Yaris'ing♀♣

Drives: 2013 Yaris 3-Door LE ~Pearl~
I have a friend I went to high school with who lives in France now. She says that no one buys the cars made there and that it's well known they build them to break. That only the poor drive the cars made there. The ones with money buy German cars. I don't know how much of that is true or what not though. Just sharing what she'd said. She was worried my Yaris was made there. It wasn't though, It was traced back to Japan by the VIN. ^_^
Old 05-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #8
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Renault Twingo......
I'm noticing a pattern......
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #9
mr_miles

Drives: 2013 Yaris
*phew* good thing my third gen is JDM lol................FDM cars. DO THEY COME WITH A BLOCK OF CHEESE? (ok, I'll stop being mean)

It's still toyota, I would like to think the cars will still be just as good as they are now, regardless of where they are made...but we will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Ahhh now I see. Your backseat pulls out, but you don't. :)
mr_miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_miles View Post
...but we will see.
Yes we will. Even given my cynical nature about such things, Toyota has earned my benefit of the doubt re this venture. HOWEVER, I will follow as closely as possible (via YW,and other blogs, websites, etc) the experiences of Model Year 2014 and 2015 USDM Yaris owners.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #11
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Unless I won the powerball this my 09 Yaris is my last new car so its a moot point where the Yaris is made in the future.

If I DO win I promise to buy everyone on this list a new one.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #12
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Unless I won the powerball this my 09 Yaris is my last new car so its a moot point where the Yaris is made in the future.

If I DO win I promise to buy everyone on this list a new one.
Unless you flew to Tampa, FL to buy your ticket, you didn't win (I heard..a couple of hours after the drawing...that the winning ticket was purchased in Zephyr Hills, FL...and I remember drinking the local Zephyr Hills bottled water when I was in Tampa last year).
Old 05-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #13
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
let the French bashing begin

TBH wherever Toyotas are built, even over here, is sure to be to their Japanese standards...

French-made Franch cars, on the other hand, might be a different story!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #14
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisse54 View Post
My dealer said that the 2014 Yaris will have a price drop due to the more favorable exchange rate between francs and NA currency.
Oh definitely, the French Franc is now worth approximately nothing... Ever since the country changed currency to the Euro some what, 14 years ago?

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #15
YodaBird

Drives: Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobstermania View Post
One of the reasons I went with the Yaris is because it was still completely made in Japan. Originally was looking at the corolla, but "made in canada" just didn't seem right.
I agree. I'm glad I got this generation. The 2014 looks horrible and probably will be made the same way. The Japanese overall parts and design are more reliable.
YodaBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #16
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Oh definitely, the French Franc is now worth approximately nothing... Ever since the country changed currency to the Euro some what, 14 years ago?
I guess the dealer thinks it's 1999 .
Old 05-21-2013, 12:56 AM   #17
YodaBird

Drives: Gray
http://youtu.be/c6IZecaMttM

Listening it to it at 1am :) hahaha
YodaBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:10 AM   #18
mrpj

Drives: 2014 Icon+ 1.33l Multidrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
let the French bashing begin

TBH wherever Toyotas are built, even over here, is sure to be to their Japanese standards...

French-made Franch cars, on the other hand, might be a different story!
Well, I have a French built Mk 2 Yaris and can quite categorically state they are not to Japanese standards. Unless those standards have slipped considerably? Very poor quality and fit interior, non too good exterior panel fit either. Numerous problems which required warranty fixes in it's first year from new. Air conditioning, creaking driver's floor, loss of coolant (water pump), gearchange, glovebox fell off, etc..
Paint finish is good though in spite of it being of the "tree hugger" variety.
They really are just like a French car made in France!
Do you own or have you driven a French Yaris to base your post on?
Be very afraid unless the Mk 3 is an improvement.
mrpj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, 2015, france, vios, yaris