Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
US Yaris to be imported from France ?

New Yaris to be imported from France ? Is there any truth to the link below.
I personally believe that the Japan made Yaris' are just the best.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...us-market.html
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Interesting.

I would not doubt it, as the TMMF facility seems to be very capable. I did a bunch of research on visiting it, but couldn't talk my wife and kids into it when we were in France two summers ago.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
In theory, would that give us access to the 1.0, 1.3 and 1.8 liter engines, as well as the 6 speed manual and CVT from Europe?
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
In theory, would that give us access to the 1.0, 1.3 and 1.8 liter engines, as well as the 6 speed manual and CVT from Europe?
I would say that's a good theory, as it would let the 1NZ-FE go into retirement.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:41 AM   #5
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
oh no not the French, bunch of smelly hairy savages, what do they know about building cars? ;)

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Thomas, I bet you secretly yearn for a Le Car!
Old 06-23-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
My dad used to take me to watch local rally races when I was a kid, and the Renault 5 (aka LeCar)'s were my favorite... Though those were the mad mid-engined versions :D So yeah, I would grab one in a heartbeat :D

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 06-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #8
carolinablue

Drives: 2012
That would eliminate the very reason for purchasing a Yaris... 100% Japanese parts and assembly. I have read that the French version, while a decent vehicle, in no measures up to the all Japaneses version. It also would in all likelyhood make it harder to get exact fit OEM parts for 2012 Japanese Yaris owners.
carolinablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #9
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
That would eliminate the very reason for purchasing a Yaris... 100% Japanese parts and assembly. I have read that the French version, while a decent vehicle, in no measures up to the all Japaneses version. It also would in all likelyhood make it harder to get exact fit OEM parts for 2012 Japanese Yaris owners.
The Toyota Production System virtually eliminates quality variations from the same vehicle produced in different plants.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #10
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
The Toyota Production System virtually eliminates quality variations from the same vehicle produced in different plants.
It is that virtually that is the problem. Just like VW's and BMW's made in Germany are much better than those made in the US, Toyota's made in Japan are better than those from the US, and I wouldn't be surprised if they are better than the ones in France. The Japanese simply take more pride in what they do.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:13 PM   #11
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

then by that reasoning my Made in Thailand Yaris should be third-world-grade? We've seen a lot less recalls and TSBs than the Japan-made USDM ones, just sayin'...

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 06-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #12
Billiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
...Toyota's made in Japan are better than those from the US...
That's because, like a lot of people, you are preprogrammed to believe that. I'll say the same thing I always say with this argument.....prove it. And I don't mean that your uncle's brother's cousin's mechanic said it....I mean real-world hard evidence.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:50 AM   #13
carolinablue

Drives: 2012
Quote:
Please prove this unsubstantiated "fact".

Last edited by carolinablue; 06-24-2012 at 06:27 AM.
carolinablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:25 AM   #14
Billiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
Please prove this unsubstantiated "fact".
You should Google "Toyota Production System" and read up on how Toyota produces vehicles.

Last edited by Billiam; 06-24-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:18 AM   #15
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
You should Google "Toyota Production System" and read up on how Toyota produces vehicles.
It was noted during the investigations into the pedal sticking issue, etc that Toyota's QoS was not on par in the plants in NA as they are in Japan. This could turn into a sticky wicket and seriously political quick so I will only say I wouldn't count out a Yaris built in France as long as it was proven through time that they are of the same build quality as Japan.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #16
Billiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
....pedal sticking issue...
This was not a assembly line related issue. Completely out of the hands of the people putting the vehicle together.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #17
mrpj

Drives: 2014 Icon+ 1.33l Multidrive
I had a French built Mk2 Yaris and although reasonably well put together, many of the parts were EU made and sourced. To be brutally honest the quality of these components left a lot to be desired. Particularly the plastics used for the interior - absolutely cheap and nasty. Their fit and finish was poor too which meant driving a car with the radio volume high to overcome the numerous creaks and rattles resulting from the poor fit.
I have examined the Mk 3 and not driven one but the interior components in that were, in my opinion, still cheap quality and poorly put together. Although it is still a Toyota and alleged better quality control, the French cannot assemble a car very well at all.
So I do sympathise if French Yaris are imported to N. America!
mrpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #18
Billiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpj View Post
I had a French built Mk2 Yaris and although reasonably well put together, many of the parts were EU made and sourced. To be brutally honest the quality of these components left a lot to be desired. Particularly the plastics used for the interior - absolutely cheap and nasty. Their fit and finish was poor too which meant driving a car with the radio volume high to overcome the numerous creaks and rattles resulting from the poor fit.
I have examined the Mk 3 and not driven one but the interior components in that were, in my opinion, still cheap quality and poorly put together. Although it is still a Toyota and alleged better quality control, the French cannot assemble a car very well at all.
So I do sympathise if French Yaris are imported to N. America!
The interior components have never been the strong point of any Yaris regardless of it's production location or final destination. That tends to be the product of it's "entry level" status and price point....and the '12 N. American version is no exception. That said...whatever quality/tolerance targets Toyota has set for the N.A. Yaris will be dublicated for the French produced N.A. bound version....rest assured.

Last edited by Billiam; 06-24-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote