Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-25-2020, 10:26 PM   #1
Hjoken

Drives: 2013 Yaris LE 5 door hatchback
Suggestion for wet/winter tires? Also speed rating question

I had asked for a suggestion as was told:
BFGOODRICH
ADVANTAGE T/A SPORT
185 /60 R15 84T SL BSW

They looked good to me but when I went to my local tire place they said the speed rating was wrong for the car and would not warranty them (2013 HB).

Was the guy incorrect or is there another suggested brand I could try?
Hjoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:48 PM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Let's look at the ratings on those.
* Load rating: 84 = 500kg (1100 lbs) per tire. The Yaris weighs 2200-2500 lbs curb, GVWR is 3360. Well within the ratings of the tire.
* Speed rating: T = 190 kph (118 mph). Your electronic governor will kick in at about 180-190 kph (~115 mph).

Speed rating is the maximum speed the tire is rated for. They're probably going by what their system says the OEM tires are and nothing else. The 2nd gen shipped with S rated (112 mph max) and the 3rd gen shipped with H rated (130 mph max). That means a 2nd gen could use anything S and higher (S, T, U, H, V, Z etc.) but a 3rd gen should use only H and higher. I doubt that there's any difference between the 2nd and 3rd gen top speed, or that you're likely to spend any significant time above 112 mph.

To be fair to them, they're probably just going off of a reference page somewhere or the OEM tire specs. It's also possible that their data is incorrect--I had to show a clerk at a car parts store that the battery listed in their system for a Pontiac Vibe was a group 35 with the positive in the back left and not the front left as indicated in their computer system. There's so much information out there that it's almost impossible to be an expert on every variant of every vehicle on the road. That creates a problem though when a lot of people just blindly follow what the computer screen shows them and don't look at the parts in front of them.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:48 PM   #3
Hjoken

Drives: 2013 Yaris LE 5 door hatchback
Thanks for the advice. I doubt the car will ever go above 80..lol
Ill keep the ones in mind and look at other options.
Hjoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:43 AM   #4
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
As for winter tires, it's hard to beat dedicated snow tires: X-Ice and Blizzak have served me well in Michigan winters. I tried Hakkapeliittas once but found that they really are meant for near-arctic-circle conditions--phenomenal in sub-zero temperatures and on ice but really sketchy at 30F and above, particularly in the wet.

I looked at Tire Rack for the best wet performing tire a year or two ago and it's kind of a lesser of evils situation. All tires suck in the wet, some suck less. I went with General Altimax RT43s based on feedback and test results. There's another Scandahoovian brand I hadn't heard of that seems to be even better: Vredstein Quatrac 5. Both are H rated tires, in case that makes a difference to you.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote