Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-10-2020, 07:40 AM   #1
TH3MO0SE

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Exclamation LED light bar installation help!

Hey everyone.

I'm new to the forum as we just recently got a 2007 Yaris 1.3 VVT-i.
Here in Finland we are allowed to add (and most of us living in the countryside do) additional lights for night driving.

I am adding a LED bar light to the Yaris and I'm having an issue with the headlight wires and the polarity switching.

The LED light has its own power supply and it's triggered by a wire that attaches to the positive lead on the high beam wire. This worked without any issues on the previous car (a Honda Jazz) but this whole polarity switching headlight wiring on the Yaris has me stumped.

Of course I can't just directly connect the trigger wire due to the polarity switch, so I have been thinking about using a relay to trigger the light.

What I'm thinking of doing is sort of like this:

I will connect the trigger wire for the LED bar to pin 87 on the relay, and wire the same way as the diagram.

What do you think? Any other ideas / suggestions?

Thanks!
TH3MO0SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:34 PM   #2
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
If you are picking up the headlight common wiring in the enging bay, I would suggest fitting the 1A fuse to the wire going back to the shown Optional Switch. This would hopefully protect against the wire insulation rubbing through and shorting out. If this happened without the fuse, the main headlight fuse would more likely blow, possibly leaving you at night with no headlights.
Old 09-15-2020, 01:43 PM   #3
TH3MO0SE

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Thanks for the suggestion!
I've now wired the lights as I showed in the diagram and they work perfectly as they should! Now I also have protection should there be a short.
TH3MO0SE is offline   Reply With Quote