Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-11-2016, 02:00 PM   #1
Flamethrower

Drives: 2007 yaris 2 door hatchback
Alternator

Could someone that has knowledge of the charging system in our brand of vehicle, please explain the possible drawbacks of running a high output alternator to power a highigh end audio system in my 2007 yaris hatchback. Looking at the DC power 160 amp model. I'm going old school....2 x phoenix gold zx-450 for power😆! I think my age is showing....thy are both in as new condition! Thank you in advance.
Flamethrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:23 AM   #2
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
At this point, with the information you've tendered, I don't see a major drawback in installing an aftermarket alternator.

I'd look at Mechman alternators as another option.

Just to note, in my "old" competition SQ system, I never needed an upgraded alternator. I had over 350 Amperes of potential draw. Never once do I recall the overriding need for an alternator.

Perhaps the only drawback I can see happening is a minor loss in HP under heavy load on the alty.

If you need one on one advice near you, you could visit Keith McCumber, the owner of Sounds Good car stereo.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:56 PM   #3
duke_afterdeath

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
My friend's yaris battery indicator light up and followed by stiff steering, he went to a mechanic and found out that the alternator is no longer functioning. since the original alternator is to expensive is it ok to install duplicate alternator instead? Need advice please.

Thank you!

Yaris X: The Largest Most Organized Pinoy Yaris Owners Group In The Middle East (Central Region Chapter)
Disclaimer: Not Connected to Toyota A.Lathif Jameel ME In Any Way
If everything seems under control, you`re just not going fast enough...
duke_afterdeath is offline   Reply With Quote