Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-22-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
toystory

Drives: 06 toyota yaris
Question Electrical Problems PS,A/C,RADIO,SPEEDOMETER,SIGNALS,AIR BAG LIGHT ON, ALTERNATOR

2006 Yaris Vitz 38 km....

About a week ago I used my Yaris and when I turned the car ON, the Power Steering light was ON. The Steering Wheel got really hard to make a turn. A/C wasn't working also, Radio, Signals and Speedometer were not working. Airbag light was also ON. Alternator was not charging when that happened. Yaris did turn ON and I drove it home that way which was about a 15 minute drive. When I got home and parked, before I turned OFF the car it started working fine again. The next day it did it again, when my wife wen't out and it worked fine until she turned it OFF, when she turned it back on, it did everything again so my wife turned it OFF right away and back ON and it was normal again, so she came home. The third time it did the same thing again, it cut off what I mentioned earlier. I took the Alternator OFF, took it to a place to be checked and they told me the Alternator was working fine and the Regulator! I installed the Alternator in the Yaris and it turned on fine so I haven't used the Yaris until I find out what's going on with the Electrical Problem it has.
Please, if anyone has had this similar problem or knows what the problem might be help me out, I don't have a Warranty or Guarantee from a dealer because I bought the car on the street! Thank You.
toystory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:09 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by toystory View Post
2006 Yaris Vitz 38 km....

About a week ago I used my Yaris and when I turned the car ON, the Power Steering light was ON. The Steering Wheel got really hard to make a turn. A/C wasn't working also, Radio, Signals and Speedometer were not working. Airbag light was also ON. Alternator was not charging when that happened. Yaris did turn ON and I drove it home that way which was about a 15 minute drive. When I got home and parked, before I turned OFF the car it started working fine again. The next day it did it again, when my wife wen't out and it worked fine until she turned it OFF, when she turned it back on, it did everything again so my wife turned it OFF right away and back ON and it was normal again, so she came home. The third time it did the same thing again, it cut off what I mentioned earlier. I took the Alternator OFF, took it to a place to be checked and they told me the Alternator was working fine and the Regulator! I installed the Alternator in the Yaris and it turned on fine so I haven't used the Yaris until I find out what's going on with the Electrical Problem it has.
Please, if anyone has had this similar problem or knows what the problem might be help me out, I don't have a Warranty or Guarantee from a dealer because I bought the car on the street! Thank You.

Other than the alternator, with that broad of an issue, I would check the battery. If you have a volt meter, take some voltage measurements (off, running at idle, and at about 3000 RPM).
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:56 AM   #3
toystory

The Yaris battery is good even, with the problem, the car still turns on. The Alternator has also been checked as I mentioned earlier.
I wanted to know if the Alternator is controlled by the ECU.....
Old 06-23-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
The Yaris battery is good even, with the problem, the car still turns on. The Alternator has also been checked as I mentioned earlier.
I wanted to know if the Alternator is controlled by the ECU.....
No. It's not controlled by the ECU, but it puts out a pulsed signal to the ECM, the AC ECU, and the DRL to let them know if the alternator is generating power. That output signal is a function of the voltage regulator. The alternator could be generating power, but if that signal is being generated, then the ECM and the other systems that use that signal wouldn't think that it was. You'd need an oscilloscope to check for that signal.

Last edited by CTScott; 06-23-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
toystory

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna try to figure out what's going on, I don't have much experience but that's what threads are for. TY!
Old 06-23-2010, 06:06 PM   #6
Stove

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5 Door
Add any new electrical/electronic items lately? If not, I'd still look at the alternator. I've had alternators test out as being good when they weren't. Auto parts store told me it was good and out of desperation I replaced it anyway and it fixed the problem. It wasn't on my Yaris but the symptoms were similar.
Stove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:13 PM   #7
toystory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stove View Post
Add any new electrical/electronic items lately? If not, I'd still look at the alternator. I've had alternators test out as being good when they weren't. Auto parts store told me it was good and out of desperation I replaced it anyway and it fixed the problem. It wasn't on my Yaris but the symptoms were similar.
I only put a month and a half ago, 2 bulbs (lead) in the front for the signals and thats about it.
I wan't to know that if in a normal working car, a person disconnects the alternator, the car is gonna cut off PS, SPEEDOMETER, SIGANALS, RADIO, A/C, AIRBAG LIGHT WILL BE ON? JUST A CURIOSITY! TY....
Old 06-23-2010, 11:27 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I only put a month and a half ago, 2 bulbs (lead) in the front for the signals and thats about it.
I wan't to know that if in a normal working car, a person disconnects the alternator, the car is gonna cut off PS, SPEEDOMETER, SIGANALS, RADIO, A/C, AIRBAG LIGHT WILL BE ON? JUST A CURIOSITY! TY....
I'll try it on Crashy tomorrow morning and let you know.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:13 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

OK - I just finished doing some testing on Crashy and could not recreate the issue. I disconnected the alternator output (the large gauge wire going to the battery) and separately the alternator "signal" output (the 4 pin connector that gives the ECM, AC ECU, etc. info about the alternator state). In both cases Crashy started and ran fine, and everything worked (power steering, etc.)

So, based on that and my experience with us having a plant in Humacao, PR for a few years (and seeing things corrode like crazy even indoors), I would look at connector A27, which is the large black connector with a black and a white wire. It connects to the fusible link (the large plastic chunk attached to the positive battery terminal). The white wire supplies power to all of the body ECUs (AC, Power Steering, SRS, etc.)

A27 Battery Connector.jpg

I would also check the other end of that white wire, which is a ring terminal (connector 1D), which is located on the bottom of the under hood fuse panel.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:29 PM   #10
toystory

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
OK - I just finished doing some testing on Crashy and could not recreate the issue. I disconnected the alternator output (the large gauge wire going to the battery) and separately the alternator "signal" output (the 4 pin connector that gives the ECM, AC ECU, etc. info about the alternator state). In both cases Crashy started and ran fine, and everything worked (power steering, etc.)

So, based on that and my experience with us having a plant in Humacao, PR for a few years (and seeing things corrode like crazy even indoors), I would look at connector A27, which is the large black connector with a black and a white wire. It connects to the fusible link (the large plastic chunk attached to the positive battery terminal). The white wire supplies power to all of the body ECUs (AC, Power Steering, SRS, etc.)

Attachment 34677

I would also check the other end of that white wire, which is a ring terminal (connector 1D), which is located on the bottom of the under hood fuse panel.
I'm gonna check as soon it stops raining and i will let you now.... ty! It won't be long.......
Old 06-24-2010, 02:26 PM   #11
toystory

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post

Attachment 34677

YOU WERE RIGHT CTSCOTT!!!!!!
I TOOK OFF THE PLUG WITH THE BLACK AND WHITE WIRE WHERE YOU SHOWED IN THE PICTURE, AND SOMEBODY HAD DONE SOMETHING BEFORE, (CAR WAS BOUGHT USED), THEY PUT THE WIRES BENDED INTO THE PLUG TO MAKE CONTACT.... SO I TOOK EVERYTHING APART OF WHAT WAS DONE BEFORE, AND WITH A PLIER I TIED UP THE CONTACTS AND SQUEEZED IT DOWN AND LEFT EVERYTHING HOW ITS SUPPOSED TO GO, SO I TURNED THE YARIS ON AND EVERYTHING IS WORKING PERFECTLY WELL, THANKS SO MUCH! I'M GONNA DRIVE IT AND IF ANYTHING ELSE POPS UP I'LL WRITE IT HERE, HOPEFULLY NOT!!!!!!
Old 06-24-2010, 03:11 PM   #12
Stove

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5 Door
Is it really that far to reach?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg capslock1-vi.jpg (30.4 KB, 426 views)
Stove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:26 PM   #13
Yarisduder

Drives: 2007 4dr Sedan Silver Streak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stove View Post
Is it really that far to reach?
I'm pretty sure Toystory was yelling with excitement.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:56 PM   #14
toystory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarisduder View Post
I'm pretty sure Toystory was yelling with excitement.
oh yes I saved some $$ and I learned something

Last edited by toystory; 06-25-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:12 PM   #15
cassioxp
I've made a post!

Drives: toyota yaris 2007
need help also

Fews days a go i turned my car on and all that hapened
im having the same kind problem with my yaris 2007
Power steering is not working
P/S light is on
Check engine light is on
A/C doesnt work
the speedometer doesnt work
I did a computer ckeck and a got the dtc P0500
Or fault speed sensor
I cant imagine how just a speed sensor can be doing all that
cassioxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:18 PM   #16
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassioxp View Post
Fews days a go i turned my car on and all that hapened
im having the same kind problem with my yaris 2007
Power steering is not working
P/S light is on
Check engine light is on
A/C doesnt work
the speedometer doesnt work
I did a computer ckeck and a got the dtc P0500
Or fault speed sensor
I cant imagine how just a speed sensor can be doing all that
I would suspect that the speed sensor is not the cause, but rather another symptom.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:52 PM   #17
toystory

so far so good drove 40 mins., and around NO PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-17-2011, 01:01 AM   #18
aminda01
I've made a post!

Drives: yaris
i have a some sort of a similar problem.. i have a yaris sedan 2006.. i can start the car without any problem but sometimes the dash board starts blinking its very hard to see though but when you carefully look at it you can see that it blinking and then the steering weel gets hard to turn..

i'm wondering whats the problem is this problem starts when i on the radio.. its kenwood.. i used my car without using my radio for quite some time the problem didnt come.. but recently someone had on the radio on its stand by and the problem came yesterday again.. but when i off and start the car it becomes normal again..
aminda01 is offline   Reply With Quote