Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-12-2016, 02:25 AM   #1
rabbito

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris Sedan (Vios)
Prius Piston swap in 1NZ (update pls)

I already read few articles regarding Prius piston swap but i want updates from people who actually done this mod and hows it running so far??😬
i am running 1NZ for Yaris/sedan 07-12 and about to order set of Prius pistons for this project..i will probably need
1. Set of Pirus pistons
2. Set of rings
like they stated in previous posts..
- how much will it cost per piston or rings?
- in previous posts, people who didnt even do the mod claiming you need higher octane etc., already running E85 with larger injector so dont need to reply 😑😑😑
- any special maintence?
- updates on whos running them now

😎😎😎😎😎😎😎

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk
Electric: Volt Stablizer & Multi gauge obd2
Cosmetic: Toyota red emblem
rabbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:14 PM   #2
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
Pistons are $60 a piece from Toyota and rings are $110 for the set.

They need tons of octane as its a significant boost in compression, stock ecu should be able to handle the fuel and spark maps if the correct octane fuel is used. Since these pistons have a reduced skirt area they won't be able to handle additional load ie supercharging or nitrous. Also with the upper ringland area being smaller, they CANNOT handle detonation without failure. It also uses a narrower ring package .8mm vs the 1mm ring package of the FE engine with lower tension rings so ring flutter at high RPM is a possibility.

There is also a difference between the Gen1 pistons and the Gen2 Pistons, having purchased the gen2 pistons, the quench area is significantly different than the FE engine, so my guess is the Gen1 pistons would net more hp than the Gen2 even though they have a .4 point compression bump over the gen1.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:18 PM   #3
rabbito

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris Sedan (Vios)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx View Post
Pistons are $60 a piece from Toyota and rings are $110 for the set.

They need tons of octane as its a significant boost in compression, stock ecu should be able to handle the fuel and spark maps if the correct octane fuel is used. Since these pistons have a reduced skirt area they won't be able to handle additional load ie supercharging or nitrous. Also with the upper ringland area being smaller, they CANNOT handle detonation without failure. It also uses a narrower ring package .8mm vs the 1mm ring package of the FE engine with lower tension rings so ring flutter at high RPM is a possibility.

There is also a difference between the Gen1 pistons and the Gen2 Pistons, having purchased the gen2 pistons, the quench area is significantly different than the FE engine, so my guess is the Gen1 pistons would net more hp than the Gen2 even though they have a .4 point compression bump over the gen1.
thank you for the write up, i appreciate it 😉

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk
Electric: Volt Stablizer & Multi gauge obd2
Cosmetic: Toyota red emblem
rabbito is offline   Reply With Quote